The White House on Sunday added Brazil to the list of nations where foreign nationals are not allowed entry into the United States, in another bid to use travel restrictions to slow the spread of the Coronavirus.
"As of May 23, 2020, Brazil had 310,087 confirmed cases of COVID-19, which is the third highest number of confirmed cases in the world," said White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany in a statement.
"Today’s action will help ensure foreign nationals who have been in Brazil do not become a source of additional infections in our country," she added.
The new rules apply not only to Brazilians, but also any other non-U.S. citizen who has been in the South American nation.
The decision comes as the virus outbreak has been spreading in Brazil, which is now seen as the third worst in the world, behind the U.S. and Russia.
Last week, President Trump had hinted at such a move.
"I don't want people coming in here and infecting our people," the President told reporters when asked about a possible move to slow travel with Brazil.
"Brazil is having some trouble. No question about it," Mr. Trump added on May 19.
© 2020 Cox Media Group