log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, January 13, 2017 @ 4:23 PM
Thanks to DNA analysis, the young woman now knows her birth name: Kamiyah Mobley.Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said Friday at a news conference that she's is in good health, but understandably overwhelmed.
Police arrested Gloria Williams, 51, of Walterboro, South Carolina, at the home where Mobley was raised, and charged her with kidnapping and interference with custody.In Jacksonville, the young woman's birth family cried "tears of joy" after a detective told them their baby had been found. Within hours Friday, they were able to reconnect by video chat.
"She looks just like her daddy," her paternal grandmother, Velma Aiken of Jacksonville, told The Associated Press after they were able to see each other for the first time, on FaceTime. "She act like she been talking to us all the time. She told us she'd be here soon to see us.
"Mobley was only eight hours old when she was taken from her young mother by a woman posing as a nurse at University Medical Center in 1998. A massive search ensued, with helicopters circling the hospital and the city on high alert, and thousands of tips came in over the years, but authorities apparently had no clue where she was.
All that time, police said, she was being raised under a different name in Walterboro. Then, some months ago, the young woman "had an inclination" that she may have been kidnapped, the sheriff said.
The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children reached out to the cold case detectives at the sheriff's office, and Mobley provided a swab of her cheek for DNA analysis that proved the match, the sheriff said.Even after all this time, the family never forgot the little girl ripped from her mother's arms that day.Her mother, Shanara Mobley, told the Florida Times-Union newspaper on the 10th Anniversary of the kidnapping that on every one of Kamiyah's birthdays, she wrapped a piece of birthday cake in foil, and stuck it in her freezer.
"It's stressful to wake up every day, knowing that your child is out there and you have no way to reach her or talk to her," Mobley told the paper in 2008.The sheriff said Kamiyah is being provided with counseling.
"She's taking it as well as you can imagine. She has a lot to process," the sheriff said. "I can't even begin to comprehend it."As the young woman and her rediscovered family work toward a new relationship, Aiken said she's thrilled that they'll now be able to speak with each other as much as they want.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 12:14 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 12:14 PM
— President Donald Trump said Thursday that he remains open to meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, hours after he canceled their planned summit in Singapore in a letter released by White House officials.
“I believe that this is a tremendous setback for North Korea and, indeed, a setback for the world,” Trump said Thursday at a news conference. “I hope that Kim Jong Un will ultimately do what is right not only for himself, but perhaps most importantly what is right for his people, who are suffering greatly and needlessly.”
I have decided to terminate the planned Summit in Singapore on June 12th. While many things can happen and a great opportunity lies ahead potentially, I believe that this is a tremendous setback for North Korea and indeed a setback for the world... pic.twitter.com/jT0GfxT0Lc— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 24, 2018
He added that “our military ... is ready,” should North Korean officials respond to Thursday’s cancellation with a show of force. Japanese and South Korean officials have also vowed to respond if “foolish or reckless acts be taken by North Korea,” Trump said.
Trump says "we are more ready than we have been before" to use US military might if needed re: North Korea— Jamie Dupree (@jamiedupree) May 24, 2018
Still, the president didn’t rule out the possibility of meeting with Kim.
“A lot of things can happen, including the fact that, perhaps, it’s possible the existing summit could take place or a summit at some later date,” Trump said. “Nobody should be anxious. We have to get it right.”
The president wrote in his letter to Kim that his decision to cancel the planned June 12 meeting came “based on the tremendous anger and open hostility” displayed in a recent statement from North Korea.
In the statement, the North Korean government referred to Vice President Mike Pence as a "political dummy" and said it is just as ready to meet in a nuclear confrontation as at the negotiating table.
“I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting,” Trump wrote. “Please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties but to the detriment of the world, will not take place.”
Senior North Korean diplomat Choe Son Hui told North Korea’s state-run news agency on Thursday that, “Whether the U.S. will meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown is entirely dependent upon the decision and behavior of the United States,” The Associated Press reported.
Trump responded to the comment in his letter Thursday, telling Kim that, “You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”
The letter was released just hours after reports surfaced that North Korea had demolished a nuclear test site in the country's northeast region. The closing of the testing site had been announced as a step leading up to the summit between President Donald Trump and North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un, the Associated Press reported.
Trump earlier this month announced that a historic meeting between him and Kim would take place in Singapore in June.
The highly anticipated meeting between Kim Jong Un and myself will take place in Singapore on June 12th. We will both try to make it a very special moment for World Peace!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 10, 2018
Read the full letter released Thursday by White House officials:```
Check back for updates to this developing story.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 12:35 PM
— A family member will remember the man found dead at a Springfield park as a good person and hopes those responsible for his death will be brought to justice.
Cedric Holt Jr., 34, was killed and his body found in a vehicle at Virgil Mabra Park in the city Tuesday morning. Police are investigating his death as a homicide, Springfield Police Chief Lee Graf said. There are no suspects in the case right now, he said.
Holt’s cousin, Gene Cameron, said he was a caring person.
“He was a kind-hearted, very loving man,” Cameron said in a Facebook message to the Springfield News-Sun. “He was all about taking care of his family by any means.”
Holt didn’t deserve what happened to him, Cameron said.
“I love my cousin very much and I’m heartbroken over what happened to him,” he said. “All I can think about is what he went through that night. I know he was terrified.”
The family hopes justice is served, Cameron said.
“He will definitely be missed and forever loved,” he said. “I really hope they get to the bottom of it and find whose responsible.”
Just before Holt’s body was found Tuesday, authorities in Huber Heights responded to a home on Shull Road where two boys, one being Holt’s 14-year-old son, had been tied up in a home invasion. The home had been ransacked, according to 9-1-1 calls.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 9:14 AM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 11:22 AM
PARK LAYNE — One year after five tornadoes hit in three counties across the Miami Valley, businesses are recovering and the Sunoco station in Park Layne is remembering the tornado outbreak by selling gas at the same price it was being sold for when a tornado hit the gas station.
The Sunoco is selling gas for $2.39 a gallon Thursday.
Five tornadoes hit the Miami Valley one year ago, including two in Clark County, one in Greene County, one in Miami County and one in Warren County. A sixth tornado hit just outside the Miami Valley in Fayette County.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 1:25 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 1:25 PM
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — President Donald Trump on Thursday granted late boxer Jack Johnson with a pardon more than 100 years after he was convicted by an all-white jury of taking a white woman across state lines.
Several heavyweight boxing champions, both current and former, gathered at the White House on Thursday morning ahead of the expected announcement, The New York Times reported.
Trump noted Thursday that Johnson was convicted “during a period of tremendous racial tension in the United States,” and served 10 months in prison in what many considered to be a “racially motivated injustice.”
"I am taking this very righteous step, I believe, to correct a wrong that occurred in our history," Trump said.
Johnson was convicted in 1913 of violating the Mann Act, a law passed in 1910 that barred people from transporting women across state lines for “immoral” purposes. The woman, Belle Schreiber, worked as a prostitute and had been in a relationship with Johnson, according to the Times.
He was sentenced to serve a year in prison, the Times reported, but he fled the country. He served his sentence after he returned to the U.S. in 1920.
Pres. Trump: "I believe that Jack Johnson is a very worthy person to receive a full pardon...So I am taking this very righteous step, I believe, to correct a wrong that occurred in our history." https://t.co/9I9BtjPYS7 pic.twitter.com/bgqPOgzb9e— ABC News (@ABC) May 24, 2018
Original report: Prodded by actor Sylvester Stallone, President Donald Trump said he’s considering a posthumous pardon for boxing's first black heavyweight champion, more than 100 years after he was convicted by an all-white jury of accompanying a white woman across state lines.
Jack Johnson, who died in 1946, was convicted in 1913 for violating the Mann Act, which made it illegal to transport women across state lines for "immoral" purposes.
"His trials and tribulations were great, his life complex and controversial," Trump tweeted Saturday afternoon from Mar-a-Lago. "Others have looked at this over the years, most thought it would be done, but yes, I am considering a Full Pardon!"
Sylvester Stallone called me with the story of heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson. His trials and tribulations were great, his life complex and controversial. Others have looked at this over the years, most thought it would be done, but yes, I am considering a Full Pardon!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 21, 2018
Johnson's family has tried to get a posthumous pardon for years. The tweet comes a week after Trump pardoned I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, a top aide to former Vice President Dick Cheney.