breaking news


Ohio State attack: Body cam footage released of building search

Published: Monday, November 28, 2016 @ 10:05 AM

Recap: 1 suspect dead in OSU shooting incident


The suspect in the Ohio State attack died of a gunshot wound to the head and chest, according to the Franklin County Coroner’s Office. That is the preliminary autopsy report released Wednesday Abdul Razak Ali Artan.

Fairfield grad who shot OSU attacker ‘a stand-up guy’

Ohio State attack: Area man grabbed attacker’s knife to survive

OSU attack ‘too close to home,’ Butler County leaders say

OHIO STATE ATTACK: Who is the suspect?

Officer who shot OSU attacker a Fairfield grad

Kasich, other politicians weigh in on attack

Ohio State athletes share status as campus deals with attack

WATCH OSU Student: “It was pretty crazy”

WATCH Scene of shooting: Map of OSU

WATCH Ohio State Shooting: Police in tactical gear

WATCH OSU student say he “heard shots”

WATCH Aerial shots from the Ohio State campus

WATCH Active shooter on the campus of Ohio State University

PHOTOS: Ohio State Shooting

Authorities have released some body cam video as officers were searching buildings on Nov. 28 when a student attacked several students.

UPDATE @8:30 p.m. (Dec. 16)

Ohio State University police released body camera footage Friday that shows officers searching a building on campus to make sure there were no other suspects or victims following the Nov. 28 attack.

UPDATE @4:48 p.m. (Nov. 30)

The Franklin County Coroner’s Office released a preliminary cause of death for Ohio State attacker Abdul Razak Ali Artan. The reports reveals Artan was shot in the head and chest. Information also released today by authorities — Artan purchased a knife from a local Walmart store in the hour before the attack. It is not clear whether that is the knife used in the attack near Watts Hall.

UPDATE @1:45 p.m. (Nov. 30)

One person who was present during the Ohio State attack Monday was shot in the foot, officials said during a press conference Wednesday. The officials said it’s likely that the victim was accidentally struck while Officer Alan Horujko shooting the attacker.

The FBI is currently leading the investigation, although several law enforcement agencies are involved. They said this afternoon that they continue to investigate the attack to determine a motive, and they believe Abdul Razak Ali Artan acted alone.

Although ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, it’s too soon to determine if it was a terrorism act, an FBI spokeswoman said. She noted that ISIS has a history of claiming responsibility for such attacks when the assailant isn’t alive to refute it.

However, she said, investigators believe Artan was inspired by ISIS and Anwar al-Awlaki, a Muslim cleric with ties to terrorism who was killed by the U.S.

Investigators have discovered that Artan purchased a knife hours before the attack, but they haven’t determined if the same knife was used in the attack, officials said. Investigators have executed search warrants on the attacker’s car and home, and are asking that anyone with information about his whereabouts prior to the attack to call 1-800-CALL-FBI (225-5324).

UPDATE @ 3:56 p.m.

William Clark, an Ohio State professor and attack victim who talked to the media Tuesday, said the attack occurred about 40 minutes after he taught a class. He was about to get some coffee when the fire alarm of the building he was in sounded.

Everyone exited the building and were standing outside as firefighters responded to the fire alarm, Clark said. About 15-20 minutes later the firefighters said the building was safe, and as everyone was walking in, he heard some shouting and a crash. he said.

Abdul Razak Ali Artan, the attacker, had rammed his car into the crowd and he struck a large concrete barrier. Artan then exited the vehicle and started attacking students, the professor said. Clark, who had been clipped by the attacker’s vehicle and slammed to the ground, got up and started to get to the building quickly, he said.

Moments later he heard three shots. Horujk had killed the attacker, said Clark, who suffered two cuts near his ankles.

He said the attack was an isolated incident at a university of more than 50,000 students, and it does not define the school. “We’re a great university, we still beat Michigan,” he said.

Clark commended the officer for shooting Artan, saying Horujk had no choice and if the concrete barrier hadn’t stopped the attacker’s car, much more people could have been injured.

Law enforcement is investigating if the attack was terrorism-related, and the Islam State has reportedly claimed responsibility. But Clark said he’s not ready to jump to those conclusions just yet.

“Before I pass judgement on this young man, I’d like to see exactly what the circumstances were,” he said.

UPDATE @3:15 p.m.

Officer Horujk who engaged the attacker is doing well and is on administrative leave, which is procedure.

Andrew Thomas, chief medical officer for OSU hospital said one of the patients has been discharged, a professor who is at the press conference discussing the ordeal with reporters. Five other patients are still hospitalized, Thomas said.

They are all doing well, and they all still are working through the trauma, Thomas said, adding that he expects all the victims to make a full recovery.

It’s fortunate that the concrete barrier was there to stop the car. Had it not been there the attack’s car would have likely struck more people, said OSU Professor William Clark. He said he heard people screaming when the attack plowed into them. He did not hear the attacker say anything.

UPDATE @2:40 p.m. (Nov. 29):

The Islamic State is claiming responsibility for the knife attack on the OSU campus, Reuters news service is reporting. No other information about the terrorist group’s involvement was immediately available. However, Ohio State office have planned a 3 p.m. news conference today. Watch it here live.

UPDATE @ 10:10 p.m. (Nov. 28):

The Ohio State University student who carried out a knife attack on campus Monday said in a Facebook post he was “sick and tired” of seeing fellow Muslims “killed and tortured,” CNN is reporting, as according to federal law enforcement officials.

According to CNN, investigators are examining Abdul Razak Ali Artan’s Facebook page to determine whether the attack was terrorism, though law enforcement officials said it will take time to ascertain motive.

In a Facebook post shortly before the Monday morning rampage, the Somali immigrant urged America “to stop interfering with other countries, especially the Muslim Ummah,” a term for Muslim people at large.

“By Allah, we will not let you sleep unless you give peace to the Muslims. You will not celebrate or enjoy any holiday.”

FULL REPORT

A Somali-born attacker who appeared to be acting alone drove his car into a crowd of Ohio State University students and staff Monday morning, then got out and started swinging a butcher knife, injuring at least 11 people before he was shot and killed by a campus police officer.

Andrew Thomas, chief medical officer at OSU’s Wexner Medical Center, said the 11 injuries were a mix of stab wounds and injuries from being hit by the car. None were life-threatening.

The attacker was identified as 20-year-old OSU student Abdul Razak Ali Artan. Columbus police Chief Kim Jacobs said late Monday afternoon that police were waiting on a search warrant for Artan’s home and were trying to talk to people who knew him. Law enforcement officials did not comment on a possible motive, saying the investigation was ongoing.

WATCH OSU Student: “It was pretty crazy”

Artan was featured in OSU’s “The Lantern” student newspaper in late August. In that “Humans of Ohio State” feature, he was described as a third-year student in logistics management who had just transferred from Columbus State. He was quoted as saying he was nervous about saying his Muslim prayers in public, and blamed the media for creating a certain image of Muslims.

OSU President Michael Drake praised the quick response of law enforcement and urged people to let the investigation move forward without jumping to conclusions.

“We don’t know anything that would link this to any community. We certainly don’t have any evidence that would say that’s the case,” Drake said. “What we want to do is really unify together, support each other, do our best to support those who were injured in their recovery, and then allow the investigation to take place, and not jump to conclusions that could in fact create a bad situation where one doesn’t exist.”

Drake and others thanked campus police officer Alan Horujko, 28, who responded immediately. OSU Police Chief Craig Stone said Horujko, who has been with OSU police for almost two years, was already outside Watts Hall, where the incident occurred, because of an apparently unrelated fire alarm. Stone said the attack “happened right before his eyes.”

RELATEDKasich, other politicians weigh in on attack

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther thanked Horujko and others in law enforcement for their work, saying, “It’s never been a more dangerous, complicated, challenging time to be a police officer.”

“Today is one of those days you’re grateful for good training and great people across the board,” Ginther said. President Drake and I had the opportunity to meet with the outstanding young law enforcement officer this afternoon. … We had a dynamic, well-trained professional today save the lives of many of our residents and students.”

How it happened

Shortly after 9:30 a.m., students in Watts Hall on the north side of campus were evacuated because of a fire alarm. Stone said there was a report of a gas leak in the building.

“The whole class was like, is this a drill? And someone came in and said, this is real, we have to evacuate,” said Jared Crandall, an OSU junior materials science major who recently transferred from the University of Dayton. “We were just standing outside talking amongst ourselves. … Then I heard the car. It turned the corner really fast and jumped on the curb and that was all I heard.”

The car was a silver Honda sedan that turned west off of College Road onto 19th Avenue, a street that narrows as it runs between multi-story science and engineering buildings. Stone said police have reviewed camera video that proves Artan was in the car by himself.

RELATED MAP: Scene of shooting at Ohio State University 

Crandall said at first he wasn’t sure why the car went onto the sidewalk, adding that Artan had to go around a public safety vehicle to get there.

“He comes onto the curb and he’s headed toward all of us. He’s almost directly in the line of path to me and some friends. Luckily we took a couple steps to the side, and he happened to swerve a bit the other way, so we were fine,” Crandall said. “Someone behind me got hit a little bit and hurt her ankle but she’s OK. He kept going and … I saw him after he was out of the car. I turned and saw what was happening. I saw this guy with this knife and he was just swinging it around.”

Both Crandall and Monica Moll, OSU’s director of public safety, said the incident happened in a flash.

“At 9:52, the officer involved called (to the dispatch center) that a car had hit about seven to eight pedestrians,” Moll said. “Just a few seconds later, also at 9:52, the officer made a call that indicated officer in trouble, that there was a man with a knife. At 9:53 that same officer called out that there were shots fired and that he had one person down. That’s when the officer … used deadly force to stop the threat.”

WATCH OSU student say he “heard shots”

Tense morning

Police officials now say Artan acted alone, and the threat was over in two minutes. But police, students and the city as a whole didn’t know that at the time. The first alert from university officials went out at 9:55 a.m., saying, “Active Shooter on campus. Run Hide Fight. Watts Hall. 19th and College.”

The campus was on lockdown for about 90 minutes, as authorities checked for a possible second attacker. People who were outdoors ran, and students and staff indoors followed instructions to shelter in place, locking themselves in classrooms and offices. Some students tweeted pictures of the mountain of chairs they had used to barricade their doors.

RELATEDOhio State athletes share status as campus deals with attack

Law enforcement officials surrounded and searched the Lane Avenue parking garage, at one point handcuffing two people. But police eventually established that there was no second attacker, and said once they identified the pair from the garage, they were released.

Drake cancelled classes for the rest of the day, but the university will resume its normal schedule on Tuesday.

“We live in an unstable world unfortunately, and we have to continue to do our best to protect ourselves,” he said.

Download our free apps to get news and weather updates on your mobile devices.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Miamisburg HS uses national pastime to honor America’s heroes

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 8:02 PM



JAMES BUECHELE / STAFF
(JAMES BUECHELE / STAFF)

At Miamisburg High School, the national pastime also is an opportunity to honor America’s heroes.

The varsity baseball team on Saturday held its annual Veteran Appreciation Game, this time when they played Bellbrook High School.

Both teams started by shaking the hands of veterans across different generations, followed by a 21-gun, salute, then a rendition of taps.

“It’s just a way for us to honor people that don’t normally get enough credit,” said Miamisburg head coach Steve Kurtz.

>> UD and DECA students help clean up Five Oaks neighborhood

After the national anthem, professional skydivers from Team Fastrax brought down the ball for the first pitch, thrown by a Gold Star father, Paul Zanowick.

“It was an honor I think our son was smiling down,” he said.

He and his wife, Nanette, lost their son, Marine Cpl. Paul “Rocky” Zanowick II, almost seven years ago in Afghanistan. 

“I’m very touched and very proud of this community and what we do for the veterans and they honored our son today to make it extra special,” Nanette Zanowick said. 

>> Volunteers help at Five Rivers MetroParks 31st annual Adopt-a-Park event

“Not everywhere in the country is there so much care and concern for the military, but it is here,” Paul Zanowick said. 

Veterans are the real winners of the game, with proceeds from T-shirt sales benefitting the Wounded Warrior Project. 

Kurtz said he’s glad to support the veteran community. 

“It’s good to see that they smile and they know that we do care and we are extremely grateful for what they’ve done for us,” he said.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories

Prince Charles will succeed Queen Elizabeth as head of the Commonwealth

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 5:32 AM

Queen Elizabeth II and her son, Prince Charles, attended the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey last month.
WPA Pool/Getty Images
Queen Elizabeth II and her son, Prince Charles, attended the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey last month.(WPA Pool/Getty Images)

It’s official: Prince Charles will succeed Queen Elizabeth as head of the Commonwealth, the BBC reported.

>> Read more trending news

The Queen had said it was her “sincere wish” that the Prince of Wales succeed her when she dies. Leaders of the Commonwealth discussed the issue before making their decision, the BBC reported.

Unlike the British crown, the lead role in the Commonwealth is non-hereditary, the BBC reported.

At a news conference, British Prime Minister Theresa May praised the Queen for her "vision and duty" in growing the Commonwealth from eight members to 53. She said it was "fitting" Prince Charles would succeed her due to his "proud support" of the Commonwealth "for more than four decades."

The role is largely symbolic and carries no maximum fixed term, the BBC reported.

The Queen turned 92 on Saturday. Charles, her oldest child, is 69.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Queen Elizabeth turns 92: 5 fun facts

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 9:05 AM

Queen Elizabeth II has been on the throne since 1952, when she was 25.
WPA Pool/Getty Images
Queen Elizabeth II has been on the throne since 1952, when she was 25.(WPA Pool/Getty Images)

Queen Elizabeth II turned 92 on Saturday, and after 65 years on the throne, she holds the distinction of ruling longer than any monarch in the United Kingdom’s history. 

>> Read more trending news

The queen actually celebrates two birthdays each year: her actual birthday, which is April 21; and one in June when she hosts a parade -- weather permitting -- called “Trooping the Color.”

Here are some other fun facts about the Queen: 

One queen, many presidents and popes

Harry S Truman was in the White House and Pope Pius XII was on the throne of St. Peter when Elizabeth II was coronated in 1952. Thirteen U.S. presidents and seven popes have served during her reign.

Her French is tres bien

The queen speaks fluent French, as evidenced by this video:

She has met rocket men (and women)

The queen has hosted Yuri Gagarin, the first man in space; Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman in space; and Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, the crew of Apollo 11 that was the first crew to land on the moon. Armstrong and Aldrin were the first men to walk on the moon in July 1969.

Mechanically inclined

The monarch received driving and mechanic training as a member of the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service during World War II.

Olympic experience

Elizabeth is the first head of state to open two Olympic games in two different countries. She opened the 2012 Summer Games in London and the 1976 Summer Olympics in Montreal.

Sources: The official website of the British Monarchy, wire services.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Volunteers help at Five Rivers MetroParks 31st annual Adopt-a-Park

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 4:23 PM

Five Rivers MetroParks held its 31st annual Adopt-a-Park cleanup event Saturday in honor of Earth Day. 

Volunteers of all ages helped remove trash, plant trees, repair trails, and prepare flower beds at more than 2 dozen sites. 

Volunteers received a free lunch at Riverscape and a T-shirt for their efforts. 

"We see families, individuals, church groups, students and children participate in Adopt-a-Park,” said Kevin Kepler, volunteer services manager for Five Rivers. 

“The community really comes out in full force, which is great because all this important work couldn't be accomplished without our dedicated volunteers. It's the perfect occasion to celebrate Earth Day with your fellow Daytonians,” Kepler said. 

RELATED: University of Dayton and Deca Prep High School students clean up Five Oaks

Last year, more than 1,800 volunteers removed 65,000 pounds of trash, 32 miles of river ways were cleaned and more than 15 acres of invasive plants were removed, according to a press release. 

"I think the success of this event reflects the community's support of MetroParks' mission to protect the region's natural heritage," said Kepler. 

Adopt-a-Park is sponsored by Vectren and Barrett Paving Materials, Inc. 

To find out more about Five Rivers MetroParks, log on to www.metroparks.org or call 937-275-PARK (7275).

Trending - Most Read Stories