log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, November 25, 2017 @ 3:12 AM
— After dramatic video surfaced of a North Korean guard defecting across the border into South Korea, Kim Jong Un’s government has replaced nearly all of the soldiers who were stationed at the site where the escape took place Nov. 13, CNN reported.
“North Korea replaced almost all of its troops, if not all, at the Joint Security Area for their failure to prevent the defection,” said Kim Young-woo, chairman of the South Korean National Assembly's defense committee. “It was obviously a part of punishment for failing their mission to deter the North Korean soldier's escape. North Korea has always punished those responsible for similar failures.”
North Korea, meanwhile, planted trees and dug a trench at a section of the Military Demarcation Line, according to Marc Knapper, the chargé d'affaires at the US Embassy in Seoul. Knapper tweeted a photo of dramatic video released by the United Nations Command on Wednesday. The video showed a North Korean soldier's daring dash to freedom while being fired upon by his former comrades.
After the defector's vehicle got stuck in a gutter close to the border, he jumped out and ran toward the South Korean side, CNN reported.
The 24-year-old soldier, known only by his last name -- Oh -- has regained consciousness after being shot and was undergoing treatment, CNN reported.
Oh is the third member of the North Korean armed forces to defect this year.
More than 40 bullets were fired at him from pistols and an AK-47 assault rifle, South Korea's military said last week. South Korean troops did not return fire.
Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 3:27 AM
— QUICK-LOOK FORECAST
Today: The morning commute should be quiet and dry, said Storm Center 7 Meteorologist Kirstie Zontini. We’ll see sunshine today with a few afternoon clouds as highs reach the mid-60s, which is normal. It will be dry tonight with a few clouds lingering.
Friday: It will be a dry morning with some sunshine. A quick front will swing through, which could spark off a few afternoon/evening showers. Activity looks light and isolated. It will be a mild day again with highs in the mid-60s and a little breezy.
Saturday: Clouds will decrease through the day. It will be a little cooler than normal with highs in the upper 50s. Temperatures will drop into the low to mid 30s overnight, so some spotty frost could develop.
Sunday: Spotty morning frost is possible. It will be a nice end to the weekend with plenty of sunshine and dry conditions. Highs will be in the upper 50s to near 60.
Monday: A warm-up begins with plenty of sunshine and highs around 70.
Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 8:37 AM
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Police in Memphis, Tennessee, are searching for a man who allegedly attempted a robbery outside a Whitehaven home in broad daylight.
A surveillance camera captured the weekend incident.
One of the victims, who asked not to be identified, told WHBQ that his niece, who was visiting from Florida, took his gun and scared off the bold criminal after she saw that her husband was in trouble.
“She’s bold," he said. "She ain’t scared of nothing.”
In the video, the suspect has his right hand in his waist band as he stands behind the woman's husband. The victims said the man’s hand was on a gun.
Memphis police said Sunday afternoon the man in the blue jacket came to the Whitehaven home and asked to use one of the victims’ phones and then asked for a ride.
While the incident was unfolding outside the house, the woman and her uncle reportedly were inside the house.
Police said that after the woman saw her husband in trouble, she came out the front door with a gun and fired a warning shot.
The uncle told WHBQ: “She said she didn’t want to kill him, but when he fired back at us after she fired the warning shot, she said she was trying to hit him then but didn’t.”
Memphis police told WHBQ that the suspect ran toward the back of the house before getting away.
Police said they are reviewing this surveillance video to get a positive ID on the suspect. If you have any information on who that suspect may be, call CrimeStoppers at 901-528-CASH.
Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 4:10 AM
CLAYTON COUNTY, Ga. — Only WSB-TV was in court Wednesday when a Georgia teenager learned she faces a felony vehicular homicide charge in the death of her best friend.
Cristina Pavon-Baker, 17, crashed on Interstate 75 in Morrow during senior skip day. The wreck killed Mikayla Penn, 18.
Pavon-Baker's attorney asked the judge Wednesday not to take her passport since she had a cruise scheduled next month.
That upset the victim's family and the district attorney.
“She doesn't need to be on a cruise enjoying herself,” Clayton County District Attorney Tracy Graham Lawson told the court.
“We would ask the court to allow her to leave the state and not put that restriction on her,” said Pavon-Baker’s attorney, Jackie Patterson.
Lawson responded: “I have an 18-year-old that can't go on a cruise. I have an 18-year-old who can't be with her parents who are in the back of this courtroom."
Jones said the cruise request upset Mikayla Penn's parents.
It was March 26 when Pavon-Baker and Penn reportedly were headed to Southlake Mall on senior skip day. Prosecutors said Pavon-Baker drove 106 mph in a 65 mph zone on the Jonesboro Road exit along I-75.
Pavon-Baker’s Mini Cooper reportedly flipped and crashed, killing Penn.
“We have some information that Snapchat may have been used” during the drive, Lawson said.
Pavon-Baker is facing first-degree vehicular homicide, reckless driving and speeding charges.
Patterson said he meant no harm asking for Pavon-Baker to go on the cruise.
“We were not trying to be insensitive. We were just trying to say, ‘Judge, she has already had these tickets for this cruise,’” Patterson told Jones.
Lawson said Pavon-Baker has received enough special treatment.
“If you look at her history, these parents have covered for her over and over and over again. I believe in my heart of hearts Ms. Penn would be alive if this child had some consequences,” Lawson said.
Lawson was referring to some other traffic troubles Pavon-Baker has had.
Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 2:19 AM
BOERNE, Texas — Not all of us will run a marathon in our lifetime. Or a half-marathon, even. Or a 10K. Nope, not a 5K.
But now there’s a running event for those who never thought they could say, “I can’t. I have my race that day.”
San Antonio neighbor Boerne has announced it will host a .5K, or a .31-mile race, May 5. The Facebook page for the event reads, “Underachievers welcome!” and boasts a “doughnut and coffee hydration station.”
The page estimates the event will last “like 10 minutes” and promises finishers a sticker for their car, beer and a medal.
The race also offered participants a VIP option for an additional $25 that would not require them to run at all. VIP “runners” get a larger medal.
The event’s website was updated on April 18 to announce that the race is full and no longer accepting sign-ups.