log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, December 06, 2019 @ 4:30 PM
By: Rick McCrabb - Staff Writer
MIDDLETOWN — Natural gas escaping from piping led to the explosion of a Middletown apartment building on Monday, officials said.
Lt. Frank Baughman, city fire marshal, said the escaped natural gas permeated the nearby apartments and that the furnace unit in apartment 422 ignited the gas, which caused the explosion about 11:30 a.m. at the Townhomes West apartment complex in the 400-block of Cribbs Avenue.
Baughman said the incident remains under investigation but criminal activity has been ruled out.
The explosion collapsed the roof of the apartment building that shot out debris into the parking lot.
One person was transported to Atrium Medical Center. At least two vehicles parked near the apartments received major damage from the flying debris.