2-year-old trapped under rock pile survived, thanks to cop with background as stone mason

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 11:57 PM



Pixabay
(Pixabay)

A two-year old trapped under a massive pile of rocks in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, was released from the hospital Saturday, thanks to a police officer with a unique talent.

>> Read more trending news 

It turned out the responding Portsmouth officer, T.J. Potter, had previous experience as a professional stone mason and specialized in historical foundation repair.

Content Continues Below

Potter's experience helped him accurately assess the danger the child was in and properly remove the slabs from on top of the child.

"[It was] a five man stone or a five man block which indicated that you would need four to five people to life it and set it on a wall, and we have done stones like that and built with stones like that, so I knew we could lift it by hand," Potter said.

"I think that was the main concern – can we lift it off the boy?"

Authorities responded to 325 Little Harbor Road after a distress call about a 2-year-old trapped under a pile of rocks. 

>> Trending: Mass. Gov. Charlie Baker’s son accused of sexually assaulting woman on JetBlue flight

When officers arrived, they found the boy pinned between large slabs of stone.

The boy had been playing on top one of the stone slabs with his grandfather when the slab he was standing on dislodged. The child fell forward and was trapped by the slab, which came to rest on his head.

The stone slabs are being used to build a foundation for a seawall and each slab is estimated to weigh several hundred pounds.

The situation was highly delicate, police said, because one of the stone slabs was resting on the child's head, and could have given way at any moment, putting the child at risk of sustaining the full weight of the stone on his head.

After a coordinated effort by police and firefighters, rescuers freed the boy in about nine minutes.

The child's parents were able to keep him calm as first responders worked their way around the stone slabs and rescued him.

>> Trending: 4 children killed in violent police standoff laid to rest in Florida

The child was first given emergency medical treatment at the scene then transported to the Portsmouth Regional Hospital where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Nonprofit helping pay off mortgage on slain police officer's family home

Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 3:33 AM

This Dec. 10, 2012 photo shows Weymouth Police Officer Michael C. Chesna in Weymouth, Mass. (Gary Higgins/The Quincy Patriot Ledger via AP)
Gary Higgins/AP
This Dec. 10, 2012 photo shows Weymouth Police Officer Michael C. Chesna in Weymouth, Mass. (Gary Higgins/The Quincy Patriot Ledger via AP)(Gary Higgins/AP)

A nonprofit organization has announced a major donation to help pay off the mortgage on a slain Massachusetts police officer's family home.

Weymouth police Sgt. Michael Chesna, 42, was shot and killed Sunday in the line of duty. 

>> On Boston25News.com: Weymouth police Officer Michael Chesna posthumously promoted to sergeant

Content Continues Below

The Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation is providing the first $100,000 toward the mortgage and is challenging others to support the family through the initiative.

Any money raised exceeding the mortgage will go directly to Chesna's wife and two children.

>> On Boston25News.com: Court docs: Man stood over Weymouth officer and shot him 10 times

The foundation, established in memory of a fallen 9/11 firefighter, supports military and first responders who are killed in the line of duty. In addition to his service with the Weymouth Police Department, Chesna was also a military veteran who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

>> Read more trending news 

Frank Siller, chairman and CEO of the foundation, will join Weymouth police Chief Richard Grimes at the Weymouth Police Department at 3 p.m. Wednesday to make the official announcement.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Florida college student saves mom's life before dying in crash

Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 1:44 AM

Florida mom Charina Yutuc said her son, Greg, saved her life in the seconds before a Jacksonville crash that claimed his life.
ActionNewsJax.com
Florida mom Charina Yutuc said her son, Greg, saved her life in the seconds before a Jacksonville crash that claimed his life.(ActionNewsJax.com)

A Florida mother said her son saved her life in the seconds before a crash that claimed his life.

>> Watch the news report here

Greg Yutuc, 22, was the only person killed in a three-vehicle crash near Jacksonville's Buckman Bridge on Saturday afternoon.

Content Continues Below

>> On ActionNewsJax.com: PHOTOS: University of North Florida student saves mom's life in I-295 crash, dad says

Stitches lined Gerry Yutuc’s bruised eyelid and his wife, Charina, had a seat belt burn across her chest.

“All I remember is seeing that red car and we are spinning around,” Gerry Yutuc said.

They were headed back from their family vacation and were driving on I-295 with their three kids in their van when state troopers said a 21-year-old driver rear-ended another car, then cut off their van.

“It was too late for me,” Yutuc said.

Their son, Greg, was sitting in the passenger seat and grabbed the steering wheel at the last second.

“So the impact could be on his side, to avoid the impact on mom,” Yutuc said.

>> Read more trending news 

Yutuc said the van flipped.

“I looked around and saw four people. My wife, my two daughters and without Greg,” Yutuc said.

Greg was thrown from the vehicle and an officer on scene told them their son didn’t make it.

Florida Highway Patrol said Greg was not wearing a seat belt.

“We didn’t have a chance to hug him and say goodbye,” Yutuc said.

Since Greg was a child, he’s been on several mission trips and had plans of becoming a missionary, his parents said.

“His heart is really sharing the gospel,” Yutuc said.

In his 22 years, Yutuc said his only son affected many lives.

“I know we have a great son, but I didn’t know the extent of his influence,” Yutuc said.

>> On ActionNewsJax.com: Drivers concerned about safety on Buckman Bridge

It was unconditional, selfless love they said Greg will be most remembered by.

“He inspired us and we want to be an inspiration,” Yutuc said.

The family said the community support has been overwhelming.

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

IHOP celebrating 60th birthday with pancakes for 60 cents

Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 10:48 AM

What You Need To Know: IHOP

Fresh off of admitting their name change to IHOb was a publicity stunt, IHOP is celebrating its 60th birthday with what it does best: pancakes.

The restaurant chain announced last week that it would give away 60-cent short stacks July 17 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. to celebrate its birthday.

>> Read more trending news 

Content Continues Below

“The IHOP name is synonymous with pancakes, pancakes, pancakes -- a rallying cry that sets our menu and our restaurants apart from every other dining destination,” IHOP Chief Marketing Officer Brad Haley said in a July 10 news release. “To celebrate six decades of pancakin’ and the love our guests have shown us since we first opened our doors back in 1958, we’re treating folks to a 60-cent short stack of our world-famous buttermilk pancakes -- the pancake that started it all -- on Tuesday, July 17.”

Related: IHOb goes back to IHOP, says it 'faked it to promote new burgers'

As with most offers of this kind, the price and participation varies by location. The offer is only available for dine-in customers and there is a limit of one 60-cent short stack per person.

Those interested in getting a short stack for 60 cents can contact their nearest IHOP about the offer at IHOP.com.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man tries to hire hitman to kill ex-wife for $10,000, Hawks tickets

Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 11:14 PM

Michael McEarchern, a Cobb County man man in Bartow County jail, promised $10,000 and two Atlanta Hawks tickets to anyone who would kill his ex-wife and her current boyfriend.
Bartow County Sheriff's Office
Michael McEarchern, a Cobb County man man in Bartow County jail, promised $10,000 and two Atlanta Hawks tickets to anyone who would kill his ex-wife and her current boyfriend.(Bartow County Sheriff's Office)

An Acworth inmate promised $10,000 and two Atlanta Hawks tickets to anyone who would kill his ex-wife and her current boyfriend. Word got around, including to an FBI informant.

>> Read more trending news 

Michael Lawrence Dane McEarchern, 29, was sentenced to 10 years in prison Monday, according to federal court documents.

Content Continues Below

McEarchern was in Bartow County jail during October on drug charges when he started circulating his the word that he wanted to hire a hitman.

The FBI found out from the confidential informant and they had McEarchern send a $800 down payment to a P.O. box in late November to see if he was serious, according to federal court records. His girlfriend at the time sent the money for him.

McEarchern told the would-be assassin where his ex-wife lived in Smyrna, what the best time of day would be to find her, and the name of the barbershop where the current boyfriend worked.

>> Trending : Atlanta mayor racks up nearly $12,000 in limousine tab in less than 5 months

McEarchern was indicted on charges in the murder-for-hire plot at the start of the year. He pleaded guilty and was convicted in late April.

Federal court documents show he’ll have three years of supervised release after prison.

Trending - Most Read Stories