log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 12:00 AM
Updated: Thursday, June 21, 2018 @ 12:00 AM
EAST PITTSBURGH, Pa. — A 17-year-old was shot and killed by police in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday night after he allegedly ran away from a traffic stop on foot, authorities said.
The Allegheny County Medical Examiner's Officer identified the teenager as Antwon Rose of Rankin. He attended Woodland Hills High School last year.
Update 5:30 p.m. ET: The mayor of East Pittsburgh confirmed that the officer involved in the shooting Tuesday night was sworn in to their department a few hours before.
He has been an officer with other departments in the area for seven years.
He still has not been identified.
Update 4 p.m. ET: The family of Antwon Rose has hired civil rights Attorney Lee Merritt to represent them. Merritt has previously represented the victims of violence in Charlottesville and several cases related to the Black Lives Matter movement.
#BREAKING Family of 17-year-old Antwon Rose who was shot & killed by East Pittsburgh Police Officer has hired civil rights attorney @MeritLaw S. Lee Merritt to represent them. Mr. Merritt is en route to Pittsburgh now from Philadelphia. Will likely release a statement soon. @WPXI— Mike Holden (@WPXIMikeHolden) June 20, 2018
Update 2:53 p.m. ET: Rose was shot three times while running from police, said Coleman McDonough, superintendent of the Allegheny County Police Department.
McDonough said two guns were found in the car after the traffic stop, but Rose was not armed at the time of the shooting. The driver of the vehicle was initially detained by police. He has since been released, police said.
A third person who was in the vehicle and fled has not been located.
The East Pittsburgh police officer involved in the shooting has been placed on administrative leave.
Pittsburgh Mayor William Peduto released the following statement:
“Any loss of life is tragic, and especially the loss of life of a child. This is a devastating situation and I am saddened for Antwon Rose and his family.
“While Tuesday's shooting was not within the city's official borders it impacts all of us in the Pittsburgh region, and particularly those in the African American community. In my reactions to the incident I should have acknowledged that these shootings affect all of us, no matter where we live, and for that I am sorry.
“Tuesday night I was receiving numerous calls and messages asking me to respond to the involvement of police in a shooting in East Pittsburgh borough, and at the time I was attempting to clarify for the national public that the City of Pittsburgh Bureau of Police, which I ultimately oversee, were not involved.”
According to the Allegheny County Police Department, Rose got out of a vehicle that matched the description of a vehicle seen near a shooting that occurred shortly before 8:30 a.m. on Kirkpatrick Avenue in North Braddock.
The vehicle, which police said had damage from bullets to the back window, was stopped near Grandview Avenue and Howard Street.
Police processing suspects gray car along Grandview Ave in East Pittsburgh. County investigators believe this car was involved in a separate shooting in N Braddock where man was wounded. Suspects fled. 1 suspect shot, another in custody and police still searching for the third. pic.twitter.com/xz1AuURF78— Mike Holden (@WPXIMikeHolden) June 20, 2018
An officer from the East Pittsburgh Police Department was handcuffing the driver when two males ran from the car, police said. One of those males was Rose, according to officials.
Rose was taken to McKeesport Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The Allegheny County Police Department is asking the other person who ran away from the vehicle to turn himself in "so that he can give a comprehensive description of what occurred."
The victim in the North Braddock shooting, a 22-year-old man, was treated for his injuries and released from an area trauma center.
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 1:14 PM
For the second time this week, President Donald Trump publicly went against the findings of the U.S. Intelligence Community with respect to Russian efforts to undermine election activities in the United States, as the President shot down a question about whether Russia was still engaged in activities like their 2016 interference in the U.S. elections.
“Is Russia still targeting the U.S.?” a reporter asked, as the President wrapped up a Cabinet meeting at the White House.
“Thank you very much. No,” President Trump said firmly as he shook his head, giving an answer that again runs counter to what American intelligence agencies have been warning for months, that Russia is looking for a repeat of their 2016 interference efforts.
In brief remarks to reporters, the President said several times that he has been tough on Russia.
“There’s never been a President as tough on Russia as I have been,” Mr. Trump told reporters. “And I think President Putin knows that better than anybody, especially the media.”
On Monday, after Mr. Trump had seemingly sided with the denial of Vladimir Putin at a joint news conference in Finland, the Director of National Intelligence, Dan Coats, quickly issued a statement reiterating that the U.S. firmly believes Russia meddled in the 2016 election, noting “their ongoing, pervasive efforts to undermine our democracy.”
Mr. Trump then clarified his comments on Tuesday, in a statement read to reporters – but Wednesday’s remarks seemed to take him back to square one – where the President argues that the Russians are not coming after the U.S.
The President’s answer puts him squarely at odds as well with many in both parties in the Congress, who fully believe that Russia is still actively engaged in efforts to meddle with the 2018 and 2020 elections in the United States.
“OMG. OMG. OMG,” wrote Michael Hayden on Twitter, a former Director of the CIA and National Security Agency.
“Mr. President. Walk this back too,” said Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer.
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 12:55 PM
— You may have names for the commuters who share the road during rush-hour traffic. Clown may be the safest one to go with.
But one driver in New York may live up to that moniker.
Masks were added to some of headrests in the car, but sitting in the passenger seat was a person-like shape wearing a mask, with an arm and hand draped casually out of the window.
The unidentified driver was sporting sunglasses, a red clown nose and a cigarette.
Red-nosed, cigarette smoking man cruises down FDR Drive in convertible full of clowns. https://t.co/UfI01Dwy71— NBC New York (@NBCNewYork) July 18, 2018
By law, drivers with passengers in the car can use the HOV lanes, usually with a minimum of two or three people in the car, WNBC reported.
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 11:22 AM
HOUSTON — A man opened fire Tuesday night when a pair of would-be home invaders attempted to force his wife into their Houston home at gunpoint, leaving one man injured, according to police and news reports.
The incident started around 10:30 p.m., when the two men stole the woman’s purse while she was in the driveway of her home in South Houston, KPRC reported.
Police said the men tried to force the woman into her house while her husband was inside. The husband heard noises coming from outside the home and looked out a window to see that the men had grabbed his wife, according to KTRK.
He grabbed a pistol and confronted the men, exchanging gunshots with the suspects and injuring one of them, KTRK reported.
Southeast officers are on a shooting at 4300 South Acres. Initial reports are that two suspects tried to force a female into a house at gunpoint. Husband was in the house and repelled the suspects with gunfire. One suspect transported in critical condition second suspect fled 202 pic.twitter.com/Z6mIDT9TB8— Houston Police (@houstonpolice) July 18, 2018
The other man ran from the scene, KRIV reported.
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 12:58 PM
— The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs accused the FBI of “implementing a political put-up job” after authorities arrested a Russian national over the weekend on allegations that she illegally acted as an unregistered foreign agent.
Authorities on Sunday arrested Mariia Butina, a 29-year-old Russian citizen living in Washington, D.C., on suspicion of “conspiracy to act as an agent of the Russian Federation within the United States without prior notification to the Attorney General,” according to the Justice Department. In a criminal complaint released Monday, authorities accused Butina of failing to register under the Foreign Agents Registration Act.
In a pair of tweets attributed Wednesday to Maria Zakharova, director of the Information and Press Department for Russia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the foreign ministry wrote that officials were dismayed to learn of Butin’s arrest.
“We are dismayed by the reported arrest of Russian citizen Maria Butina in the US on July 15,” Zakharova said, using an alternative spelling of Butina’s first name. “It looks as if the FBI, instead of carrying out their responsibility of fighting crime, is implementing a political put-up job set to it by forces that are whipping up anti-Russia hysteria in the US.”
#Zakharova: We are dismayed by the reported arrest of Russian citizen Maria Butina in the US on July 15. According to a statement on the website of the US Justice Department, she is charged with conspiracy to act as an agent of Russia without prior notification— MFA Russia 🇷🇺 (@mfa_russia) July 18, 2018
#Zakharova: It looks as if the FBI, instead of carrying out their responsibility of fighting crime, is implementing a political put-up job set to it by forces that are whipping up anti-Russia hysteria in the US— MFA Russia 🇷🇺 (@mfa_russia) July 18, 2018
Justice Department officials allege that Butina schmoozed with influential people and organizations in the U.S. in order to advance the interests of Russia.
“From as early as 2015 and continuing through at least February 2017, Butina worked at the direction of a high-level official in the Russian government who was previously a member of the legislature of the Russian Federation and later became a top official at the Russian Central Bank,” Justice Department officials said Monday in a news release.
Authorities added that the unnamed official was among the 24 Russian oligarchs and senior Russian government officials sanctioned by the U.S. Treasury Department for profiting from the country’s illegal and subversive activities in the U.S. and abroad.