log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 @ 1:04 AM
POCATELLO, Idaho — A cyanide trap intended to kill coyotes injured a 14-year-old boy and killed his dog Thursday, police said.
The Idaho boy and dog were walking behind their home when the device exploded, the Idaho State Journal reported.
The boy was knocked to his back and later taken to the hospital for cyanide poison testing. The dog died in front of the teen, the Journal reported.
"Seeing something like that stays with you," the boy’s mother, Theresa Mansfield, told the Journal.
The trap, often called a "cyanide bomb," was placed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture as a predator control device. It’s very dangerous to animals and humans, police said.
The incident is being investigated, police said.
Published: Sunday, April 22, 2018 @ 2:40 AM
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Police in Memphis, Tennessee, need your help finding a 9-year-old boy.
A City Watch was issued for Dewayne Alexander on Saturday night. Police told WHBQ that Alexander was walking home from school Friday in the 3300 block of Ford Road, but he never made it home. He has not been seen or heard from since.
Alexander is described as 3-foot-8 and weighing 50 pounds with a medium complexion and low-fade haircut. He was last seen wearing a navy blue hoodie, white uniform shirt, navy blue uniform pants and blue, gray and white shoes.
If you know the whereabouts of Alexander, call the Memphis Police Department at 901-545-2677.
Published: Sunday, April 22, 2018 @ 1:11 AM
Police said Amier Windsor, 12, and Robert Windsor Jr., 11, went missing about 5 p.m. Friday.
According to a news release, the two brothers are known to frequent the Brookline area.
Anyone with information regarding their whereabouts is asked to call police at 412-323-7800.
MISSING KIDS ALERT— Pittsburgh Police (@PghPolice) April 21, 2018
Brothers Amier Windsor, 12, & Robert Windsor Jr., 11, went missing April 20 at 5 p.m.
Known to frequent Brookline area.
Anyone with info on their whereabouts, please call @PghPolice Missing Persons at 412-323-7800. pic.twitter.com/bN3BisiTQq
Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 2:52 PM
LANCASTER, Pa. — A Pennsylvania teacher was suspended last week after he cooked breakfast for his students as they took state assessments.
LancasterOnline reported that Kyle Byler, an eighth-grade teacher at Hand Middle School, was suspended without pay and warned that he would be fired for “causing a distraction” while his students took the Pennsylvania System of School Assessment, or PSSAs.
Byler told local media that he brought an electric griddle to school the morning of April 10 and cooked each of his students a whole-grain pancake to eat while they took their exams. An assistant principal walked in and questioned why he was making the children breakfast.
The teacher, who many parents consider the “eighth-grade dad” at the school, was called into a meeting with administrators within 24 hours and told he would be fired, LancasterOnline reported.
Byler said in an interview Monday that he did not understand what he did wrong. The state education department does not have a rule against serving food during the PSSAs.
Pennsylvania Department of Education spokeswoman Nicole Reigelman told LancasterOnline, however, that “those activities would likely interfere with ‘actively monitoring’ the assessment, which is a key task.”
Byler said the pancakes did not deter the students.
“At no point was it any distraction for any of the students,” Byler said. “They worked their butts off.”
A student told the news site that the assistant principal was the only distraction.
“The moment she walked in, everybody turned,” Alizea Rodriguez told LancasterOnline. “She was the distraction. Not pancakes. Not Byler.”
Rodriguez and other students were distraught when Byler was not in class the next day. Many of those students showed up at a Tuesday night school board meeting, at which Byler expected to learn his fate.
School district officials dismissed the claim that he was to be fired Tuesday, saying that there was never a dismissal action on the meeting agenda and that a teacher cannot be fired without the board approving a written notice setting a hearing in the matter. None of that had taken place.
“Nor will it occur in this situation, as the personnel matter has been resolved with the employee, who is scheduled to return to work,” School District of Lancaster officials said in a statement.
The district statement said that free breakfast and lunch are offered to all students every day, including testing days.
“Moreover, the Pennsylvania Department of Education strictly requires that teachers who proctor PSSA testing focus their full attention on monitoring students during the test,” the statement read. “All teachers serving as PSSA test proctors receive specific training on testing protocol. Had permission been sought by a teacher to cook in the classroom during PSSA testing and serve food to the students, the response would have been that such activities would distract the teacher from the required duties as a test proctor.”
LancasterOnline reported that about 100 concerned residents, including both parents and teachers, turned out at Tuesday’s board meeting to support Byler.
“It takes a village to raise children,” mother of two Crystle Martinez said. “He’s part of that village.”
Students and teachers were not Byler’s only fans. Officials at Holiday Inn Express sought to gift him and his students a one-touch pancake machine -- like those on the breakfast bars in Holiday Inn Express hotels -- and enough pancake batter to get them through the remainder of the school year.
“As a hotel brand that knows how important an energizing breakfast is to being ‘THE READIEST’ for the day ahead, Holiday Inn Express salutes Byler for taking the initiative and making pancakes for his students,” said a Holiday Inn Express brand spokesperson. “The brand welcomes this teacher back to school, and hopes he and his students enjoy their very own one-touch pancake machine as much as Holiday Inn Express guests do,” read a statement from the company.
Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 11:03 PM
— Falls and fractures among older adults can lead to long-term disabilities. However, doctors have now found a simple solution to avoid accidents: regular exercise.
Researchers from the U.S. Preventative Services Task Force recently conducted a review, published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, to determine the best practices to avoid falls among people age 65 and older.
To do so, they examined data from about 20 studies that gathered the health records of older adults, some of who were at high risk for falling. They also evaluated evidence on vitamin D supplementation, which has been linked to a reduced risk of decreased bone density.
After analyzing the data, they found that exercise decreased the likelihood of falls and injuries related to falls. In fact, they discovered there was a 10 to 20 percent reduced risk.
“It’s abundant evidence,” said Madeleine Hackney, geriatrics professor at Emory University, who was not a part of the trial. “As we get older, we lose muscle mass. The way to get stronger is to strengthen them on a regular basis.”
The researchers listed several types of exercises that are beneficial for older adults, including cardio, resistance training and even tai-chi.
However, they said vitamin D may not be as effective in preventing fractures. They recommend against vitamin D supplementation to limit falls among adults 65 and older, because they did not see a consistent benefit. Those with a vitamin D deficiency are an exception.
“Pooled analyses showed neither a significant reduction in falls nor a significant effect on the number of persons experiencing a fall with vitamin D supplementation,” the authors wrote.
Hackney called those findings “interesting.”
“That’s going in the face of common practice. Doctors are prescribing it, but the evidence is not backing it up,” she said.
Despite the results, Hackney said there are several different approaches to strengthening the body.