Waffle House customer cooks his own meal after finding staff sleeping

Published: Friday, December 01, 2017 @ 2:17 PM

Customer Finds Staff Sleeping at Waffle House, Cooks His Own Meal

A hungry, slightly inebriated man knew just what to do when he stopped by a South Carolina Waffle House early Thursday only to find the restaurant’s staff snoozing: He cooked up his own meal, snapping selfies along the way.

>> Read more trending news

Alex Bowen said in a Facebook post that he stopped by a Waffle House in West Columbia because he couldn’t sleep.

Content Continues Below

The restaurant’s employees apparently did not have the same problem.

“I walked back outside to my car to look for employees,” Bowen told WIS. “No one in sight.”

It wasn’t until he walked back inside the restaurant that he noticed an employee snoozing in a corner booth.

“Then it was go time,” Bowen told WIS. “(I) got hot on the grill with a double Texas bacon cheesesteak with extra pickles. When I was done I cleaned the grill, collected my ill-gotten sandwich and rolled out.”

Couldn't sleep so I went to waffle house....guess what...everyone on shift was asleep

Posted by Alex Bowen on Wednesday, November 29, 2017

He told WIS that he wouldn’t normally have gotten behind the grill.

"I give all the credit to my old friend vodka," Bowen said.

He said he returned later to pay for the sandwich. As proof, he posted a photo on Facebook of himself smiling with a Waffle House employee.

Posted by Alex Bowen on Thursday, November 30, 2017

In a statement released to WIS, a Waffle House spokesperson said employees reached out to Bowen to apologize and that the employee photographed by Bowen while sleeping in one of the restaurant’s booths had been suspended for a week.

“For safety reasons, our customers should never have to go behind the counter,” the statement said. “Rather they should get a quality experience delivered by friendly associates. We are reviewing this incident and will take appropriate disciplinary action.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘Deadliest Catch’ co-star pleads guilty to sexually assaulting teen

Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 5:25 PM

Edgar Hansen (L) and Matt Bradley of
Edgar Hansen (L) and Matt Bradley of "Dealiest Catch" participate in the 2nd Annual Boot Ride And Rally to benefit U.S. Soldiers on August 26, 2012 in Hollywood. This week, Hansen pleaded guilty to fourth-degree sexual assault of a teenage girl at a home near Seattle.(Albert L. Ortega/Getty Images)

“Deadliest Catch” reality TV fisherman Edgar Hansen pleaded guilty to sexually assaulting a teenage girl at a home near Seattle, but isn’t expected to serve any jail time.

Hansen, 47, received a 364-day suspended jail sentence after pleading guilty to  fourth degree sexual assault with sexual motivation, the Associated Press reported. He was also ordered to undergo a sexual deviancy evaluation and give a DNA sample to authorities. 

>> Read more trending news 

Content Continues Below

According to court documents obtained by KIRO 7, a 16-year-old girl told her therapist that Hansen sexually assaulted her at a Montlake Terrace home in September.

>>Related: ‘Deadliest Catch’ star Blake Painter found dead in Oregon home

A detective contacted Hansen’s wife, who confronted her husband about the allegations, court documents show. She told police that he denied the accusations at first, but eventually admitted to touching the girl inappropriately.

>>Related: ‘Deadliest Catch’ star gets probation in Uber driver assault

Hansen is deck boss and crew member of the Seattle-based crabbing boat featured on the Discovery Channel show “Deadliest Catch.”

The boat’s captain, Sig Hansen, is Edgar Hansen’s brother.

Trending - Most Read Stories

6 nurses in same unit discover they are pregnant at same time

Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 4:31 PM

Six nurses in the same unit at  the Comprehensive Cancer Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, N.C. are expecting babies.  Two of the women will be first-time moms, while the other four already have one child. A hospital spokesperson said all of the nurses have developed a special bond in sharing their pregnancies at work.
Wake Forest Medical Baptist Center
Six nurses in the same unit at the Comprehensive Cancer Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, N.C. are expecting babies. Two of the women will be first-time moms, while the other four already have one child. A hospital spokesperson said all of the nurses have developed a special bond in sharing their pregnancies at work.(Wake Forest Medical Baptist Center)

Six nurse practitioners at a hospital in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, were surprised to learn they are pregnant at the same time.

>> Read more trending news 

The women are known as “The Fabulous Six Pack” among their patients at the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.

Content Continues Below

The six nurses work for an outpatient hematology/oncology unit at the Comprehensive Cancer Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.

Two of the women will be first-time moms, and the other four already have one child, said hospital spokesperson Eryn Johnson.

The women’s due dates range from the end of July to December. 

Johnson said that all of the nurses enjoy sharing their pregnancy journeys and tips with each other.

“It's exciting because, you see these people every day and they're a part of you family, and now they're your pregnant buddies,” said assistant nurse manager Katie Carlton.

“It’s quite the bond that’s been established,” Johnson said.

The expectant mothers told WXII that while most of them were planning to get get pregnant, it was a surprise when it all happened to all of them at the same time.

One thing that wasn’t anticipated -- six nurses taking maternity leave at the same time.

Johnson said there is a plan in place to cover the nurses’ work during maternity leave. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

DNA test solves 1988 cold case rape, murder of 8-year-old April Tinsley, suspect arrested

Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 5:40 PM

FIn this March 30, 2018, file photo, a picture of April Tinsley was placed in the garden that was dedicated in her honor near where she disappeared in Fort Wayne, Indiana. April 1 marked the 30th anniversary of her death. Police on Sunday, July 15, 2018, arrested John Miller, of Grabill, Ind., in connection to her death.
Michelle Davies/AP
FIn this March 30, 2018, file photo, a picture of April Tinsley was placed in the garden that was dedicated in her honor near where she disappeared in Fort Wayne, Indiana. April 1 marked the 30th anniversary of her death. Police on Sunday, July 15, 2018, arrested John Miller, of Grabill, Ind., in connection to her death.(Michelle Davies/AP)

After 30 years of random notes and taunting from the killer, Indiana authorities finally caught a break in the killing of an 8-year-old girl and made an arrest based on DNA evidence similar to how investigators caught the Golden State Killer, according to news reports.

>> Read more trending news 

Suspect John D. Miller, 59, was arrested Sunday at his home in Grabill, Indiana, and made a court appearance Monday in Allen County on charges related to the 1988 rape and murder of April Tinsley, WANE-TV reported.

Content Continues Below

Tinsley was walking to a friend’s house in her Fort Wayne neighborhood when she was allegedly abducted and subsequently killed by Miller, authorities said.

Police used DNA from the victim and from messages and condoms Miller left at three homes in the early 2000s to match Miller and his brother’s DNA in a genealogical database. Once they narrowed the suspect field down to two, it was just a matter of time before they were able to catch Miller, CNN reported. Miller’s DNA was found to be a match with DNA recovered from the victim’s underwear.

>> Related: Police seek to ID Zodiac Killer through DNA after success with Golden State Killer

When police showed up at his mobile home on Sunday and asked Miller if he knew why they were there, he reportedly said, “April Tinsley” and then confessed to the crime, according to local media reports.

Miller’s next scheduled court appearance is Thursday.

>> Related: ‘Golden State Killer’ suspect tracked down using DNA on genealogy website, officials say

The Golden State Killer was finally caught in California in April after terrorizing the state between the mid-1970s and mid-80s. Investigators also used a genealogical database to match Joseph James DeAngelo Jr.’s DNA with evidence left at the crime scenes. DeAngelo is charged with killing 12 people and is accused of 50 rapes and more than 100 burglaries.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man walks nearly 20 miles to get to job after car breaks down, boss gives him his own vehicle

Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 8:00 AM

CEO Gives Employee Who Walked 20 Miles to Work Personal Car

A man in Alabama no longer has to walk where he needs to go. 

Walter Carr was all set to start a new job with Bellhops Moving, but his car broke down. Instead of calling off, or borrowing a set of wheels, he started walking, starting at midnight, to get to the job nearly 20 miles away, WBMA reported.

Pelham police officers saw him walking, offered him a ride and took him to breakfast before taking him to the moving job. 

Content Continues Below

Carr had been walking for about four hours when police offered him the ride, WIAT reported.

Jennifer Lamey hired Bellhops Moving, and Carr, and posted to Facebook about his dedication. His story made it all the way to the home office and the company’s CEO Luke Marklin.

>> Read more trending news 

Marklin made sure that his employee would not have to walk to work again and gave him the keys to his own car, a 2014 Ford Escape. 

Lamey also started a GoFundMe campaign in the name of Carr. She had hoped to raise $2,000, but in one day, raised more than four times that amount.

Trending - Most Read Stories