log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, July 20, 2017 @ 2:45 PM
— Singer Usher Raymond allegedly paid a woman more than $1 million to settle a lawsuit after she claimed he knowingly gave her herpes years ago, according to multiple reports.
Court documents published online Wednesday by Radar Online showed that the “Yeah!” singer was diagnosed with the sexually transmitted disease in 2009 or 2010.
Usher, who divorced ex-wife Tameka Foster in 2009, allegedly passed the disease on to the woman who filed the lawsuit, People magazine reported.
According to Radar Online, which broke the story, court documents showed that Raymond engaged in unprotected sexual intercourse with the woman, a stylist, after telling her that he tested negative for herpes.
The unidentified woman later showed symptoms of the disease and tested positive for it.
Raymond, 38, is accused of “consciously and purposefully” withholding knowledge that he had the disease and continuing to have unprotected sexual relations with the woman.
Court documents, dated 2012, showed that the singer paid $2,754.40 to the woman to cover her medical bills.
According to documents published by Radar Online, the woman “feels that her health and body have been ruined.”
“Getting infected with genital herpes from Raymond has devastated (the victim),” documents said. “She ... has suffered severe emotional distress and has been extremely depressed ... Not a day has gone by where she does not feel desolation and despair about her herpes infection knowing that there is no cure. Her infection has destroyed her sense of self, wholeness, health and beauty and she fears that she will never be able to have the type of relationship she had hoped for.”
The complaint was filed in at the Superior Court in Los Angeles, California, where it is illegal to knowingly or recklessly transmit a sexually transmitted disease.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, one out of every six people aged 14 to 49 has genital herpes.
Raymond, who remarried in 2015, has not commented.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 12:58 PM
TACOMA, Wash. — A suspect was arrested Wednesday in the 1986 child murder case of Michella Welch.
Gary Charles Hartman, 66, was booked into the Pierce County Jail. He's expected to have a bail hearing Thursday, and KIRO 7 will be there.
Welch was 12 years old when she disappeared after she and her younger sisters visited Tacoma’s Puget Park on March 26, 1986.
Her body was found in a gulch after police conducted a search.
In 2016, using technology called DNA phenotyping, Tacoma police and the Virginia-based company Parabon Nanolabs produced computer-generated composites using evidence found after the murders of Welch and 13-year-old Jennifer Bastian.
Welch was found in Tacoma's Puget Park in March 1986, Bastian five months later in Point Defiance Park. Both had been raped and murdered.
At first, police thought both murders were the work of the same man, until 2013, when a re-examination of evidence proved there were actually two different killers.
Earlier this year, Jennifer Bastian's suspected killer was also arrested.
That suspect was detained out of state and taken to Washington for prosecution. Officials with the Illinois State Police said they helped apprehend the suspect in Bastian's killing, identified as Robert Washburn.
In court documents, Pierce County prosecuting attorney Jared Ausserer said Washburn first became a suspect when he called police in May of 1986 about a composite sketch released of a suspect in the murder of Welch.
Washburn called police after the suspect sketch was released, saying he saw a similar-looking man while jogging in Point Defiance Park.
He told police he jogged in the park as often as twice a day, Ausserer said.
In 1986, a special task force was formed to investigate the murders of Welch and Bastian.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 8:49 AM
GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — Jessica Ellison’s nightmare began with a broken taillight and a case of mistaken identity.
It ended with two days in jail, a worried family and a lost job -- and now a lawsuit, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.
“This reads as the script for some kind of dark comedy, where your protagonist cannot get anything to go right,” Ellison’s attorney, Nathan Lock, said.
Lock filed a lawsuit this week in U.S. District Court in Atlanta on Ellison’s behalf. Among the named defendants are Gwinnett County Sheriff Butch Conway, Corizon Health, which at the time of the incident provided health care services at the jail, and Gwinnett County police Officer Mark Ferrell.
It accuses each defendant of negligence.
The sheriff’s office and police department both declined to comment on the case. In the lawsuit, Lock describes the incident as follows.
Ellison, a property manager from Jonesboro, Georgia, was driving through Gwinnett County on the afternoon of June 21, 2016, when she got stopped near Duluth by GCPD Officer Mark Ferrell. Ferrell told her she had a taillight out and he was going to give her a warning, but he needed to run her license.
According to Ferrell’s incident report, he subsequently found a warrant out of Bartow County for a woman named Jessica Ellison. The birthdates matched, and dispatch verified the warrant -- for failure to appear on a then-three-year-old shoplifting charge -- was still active.
Ellison was taken to jail.
There was one problem. She and her lawyer now say the warrant was for a Jessica Ellis, not “Ellison.”
Upon arriving at the jail, Ellison was fingerprinted and, despite her “repeated” pleas about the arrest being a mistake, those fingerprints were never compared to those of the wanted woman, the lawsuit claims.
“There’s a lot of different things that could’ve been verified that would’ve distinguished the two,” Lock said.
Ellison spent the next two days in jail waiting for authorities to pick her up. During that time, the lawsuit claims, she was not allowed a phone call -- leaving her family and her job to wonder where she was -- and never saw a nurse despite repeated requests.
Ellison takes supplements to prevent seizures.
She didn’t have one in jail, Lock said, but did shortly after arriving home — which was only possible after the Bartow County deputy that arrived to transport her double-checked her information and was “immediately able to verify” she was the wrong woman.
Lock said the seizure came while she was cleaning up feces and urine from her dog, who was alone and unfed the entire time she was incarcerated.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 5:15 AM
As President Donald Trump this week threatened $200 billion in new tariffs on Chinese imports, and then warned Europe that he would slap a 20 percent tariff on imported automobiles, members of both parties Congress accused the administration of starting a trade war which could cause collateral economic damage across the United States.
The differences were on display at a hearing Wednesday with Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross, who took a bipartisan tongue lashing on a recent round of tariffs levied on imported steel and aluminum from Canada, Mexico and Europe.
“We’re picking winners and losers,” argued Sen. Pat Toomey (R-PA), who said those tariffs were already hurting businesses in his home state.
“Probably resulting – in my view – in far more jobs being lost than being gained,” Toomey told Ross, citing a very well-known Pennsylvania company that could find it less expensive to move jobs from the U.S. to Canada.
Almost every Senator on the panel had a story of a small business that was feeling the pinch due to Trump Administration tariffs, impacting all sorts of agricultural products, as well as manufacturing, big and small.
“Do you think we’re in a trade war right now?” asked Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-WA). “Because I do,” as Cantwell rattled off farm products that were losing markets because of retaliatory tariff measures.
Ross downplayed the cost of higher imported steel and aluminum, basically making the case that economic hardships were being overplayed.
“It’s a fraction of a penny on a can of Campbell’s soup, it’s a fraction on a can of Budweiser, it’s a fraction on a can of Coke,” Ross said.
That did not please the Senator from the state of Coca-Cola.
“Although a couple of pennies on a can is not much, a couple pennies times a billion is lots,” said Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-GA).
“We’re hit harder than any other state by the Canadian retaliatory tariffs,” said Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH), warning the Trump Administration against tariffs on imported automobiles, as GOP Senators labeled such actions a tax on consumers.
“Steel prices are going up – not just for foreign steel subject to tariffs, but also for U.S. steel,” complained Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT).
“Mexico’s buying their wheat from Argentina and their corn from Brazil,” said Sen. Pat Roberts (R-KS), as he told Ross that Kansas wheat exports were encountering troubles because of new retaliatory tariffs on U.S. exports, bringing bad economic news on the farm report.
Ross simply told Senators if other countries put new tariffs on U.S. exports, that was out of his control.
“We have no control over what another country does in retaliation,” Ross said.
The bipartisan complaints clearly had no impact, as by Friday, President Trump was on Twitter, issuing new threats against European auto imports.
As Democrats registered their opposition, they also couldn’t help but note the oddity of a Republican President going against what’s been a bedrock belief of the GOP.
“I feel like I’ve gone down a rabbit hole,” said Sen. Clare McCaskill (D-MO), who said she found it hard to believe the party of free trade now had a President in office who was doing the exact opposite.
“In a chaotic and frankly incompetent manner, you’re picking winners and losers,” McCaskill told Ross.
But for the President, this is about re-setting trade deals, which he says were tilted against the United States.
“As far as trade is concerned with other countries, we want fair and reciprocal trade, we don’t want stupid trade like we had for so long,” the President said at a rally in Minnesota.
“Remember the world reciprocal,” Mr. Trump said. “We have been ripped off by almost every country on Earth, our friends and our enemies.”
“But those days are over,” the President said to cheers from the crowd.
But while they’re cheering Mr. Trump on the stump, at the U.S. Capitol, they’re worried about a trade war.
“We’re getting into a war that’s going to cost lots of billions of dollars,” Isakson warned.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 4:02 AM
— Superman has changed uniforms.
Actor Dean Cain, who played the Man of Steel in the show “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman,” was recently sworn in as a reserve officer in Idaho, Fox News reported.
Cpl. Anderson supporting local area law enforcement as St. Anthony PD swears in Reserve Officer Dean Cain who played Superman in the TV series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. #BackTheBlue pic.twitter.com/AT9avH1vtE— Idaho State Police (@ISPeasternIdaho) June 19, 2018
Cain, 51, was sworn in as a reserve for the St. Anthony Police Department, Fox News reported. The Idaho State Police tweeted the news Tuesday, showing a series of photos of the swearing-in ceremony.