breaking news


Trump sends Democrats’ Nunes rebuttal memo back to House committee

Published: Friday, February 09, 2018 @ 9:34 PM

President Donald Trump decided Friday not to release the Democrats rebuttal to the Nunes memo, sending it back to the House Intelligence Committee. The White House has asked the Department of Justice to help revise the document. 
Pool/Getty Images
President Donald Trump decided Friday not to release the Democrats rebuttal to the Nunes memo, sending it back to the House Intelligence Committee. The White House has asked the Department of Justice to help revise the document. (Pool/Getty Images)

President Donald Trump will send the Democrats’ rebuttal memorandum back to the House Intelligence Committee without releasing even a redacted version of it, according to news outlets. 

>> Read more trending news 

The memo was in response to the one drafted by Republican aides to House Intelligence Committee chairman Rep. Devin Nunes (R-CA), which contended the FBI and Department of Justice engaged in questionable tactics in the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and into alleged Trump campaign collusion with Russia. 

>> Related: Nunes memo: Controversial GOP memo alleging missteps in Russia probe released

The White House has asked the Justice Department to help revise the memo so it can be released, according to the Washington Post.

White House counsel Don McGahn said in a letter to the House Intelligence Committee that the Justice Department believes parts of the memo “would create especially significant concerns for the national security and law enforcement interests,” if released, the Post reported.

Trump released the Nunes memo last week, which contained information purporting to show that the FBI and DOJ did not provide complete information when requesting a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court warrant to watch one-time Trump campaign member Carter Page.

The Democrat’s memo, drafted by ranking House Intelligence Committee Democrat Rep. Adam Schiff (D-CA), reportedly quashed the claims made by the GOP, showing how the allegations were taken out of context.

>> Related: House Intelligence Committee votes to release controversial Nunes memo

The House Intelligence Committee voted Monday, like it did the week before on the Republican memo, to release the Democrats memo. President Donald Trump then had five days to decide whether to release the 10-page document. He did release the GOP memo, over the “concerns” of the FBI and DOJ.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Fiat Chrysler recalls 4.8 million vehicles over cruise control issue

Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 11:52 AM

Fiat Chrysler is recalling 4.8 million vehicles over an issue that could prevent drivers from turning off cruise control. Models affected include the Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV, model years 2014-2018.
Joe Raedle, Getty Images
Fiat Chrysler is recalling 4.8 million vehicles over an issue that could prevent drivers from turning off cruise control. Models affected include the Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV, model years 2014-2018.(Joe Raedle, Getty Images)

Fiat Chrysler is recalling 4.8 million vehicles that could prevent drivers from turning off the cruise control function.

>> Read more trending news

The cruise control could become dangerous when an affected car accelerates under cruise control, like when trying to climb up a hill, Fiat Chrysler officials told CNN. This could cause the car to become locked in cruise control, and the driver might not be able to tap the breaks or hit the designated switch to turn it off.

One incident related to this issue has been reported to Fiat Chrysler, but there have been no reported injuries. 

Affected car owners are told to stop using the cruise control function immediately until the vehicle can be repaired, the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) stated in a press release.

If this issue happens while driving, the NHTSA said drivers might be able to stop the vehicle by pushing the break pedal and placing the vehicle in park once it is stopped. Drivers could also shift the transmission to neutral or forcefully apply the manual break and place the car in park once it has stopped. 

Fiat Chrysler officials are asking owners of the recalled vehicles to bring them to a dealership for a software update.

The models covered under the recall include:

• 2015-17 Chrysler 200 sedan

• 2014-18 Chrysler 300 sedan

• 2014-18 Dodge Charger sedan 

• 2014-18 Dodge Durango SUV 

• 2014-18 Dodge Journey crossover 

• 2014-18 Jeep Cherokee SUV 

• 2014-18 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUV 

• 2014-18 Ram 2500 pickup 

• 2014-18 Ram 3500 cab chassis 

• 2014-18 Ram 3500 pickup 

• 2014-18 Ram 4500/5500 cab chassis

• 2014-19 Ram 1500 pickup 

• 2015-18 Dodge Challenger coupe 

• 2017-18 Chrysler Pacifica minivan 

• 2018 Jeep Wrangler 

Trending - Most Read Stories

22-year-old uses ‘odd’ strategy to win $2 million on lotto scratch off

Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 11:57 AM

A 22-year-old won $2 million on a Diamond Dazzler scratch-off ticket. (Photo: Michigan Lottery)
A 22-year-old won $2 million on a Diamond Dazzler scratch-off ticket. (Photo: Michigan Lottery)

A 22-year-old man whose strategy is to only play odd-numbered scratch off tickets, won $2 million from the Michigan Lottery’s Diamond Dazzler game.

>> Read more trending news

The player, who wanted to remain anonymous, took the lump-sum payout of $1.3 million Wednesday, according to lottery officials

“Winning this much money at my age gives me endless opportunities if I’m smart about how I spend it, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do,” he said.

The win came from the player’s odd strategy. 

He walked into the Busatti Party Store and asked the clerk what number the ticket was on his favorite game, the Diamond Dazzler. 

“Twenty-one,” she replied. 

He had to have it. He scratched the $20 ticket off in the store and saw it was a winner. He looked at the clerk then at his friend who was with him before running out to his car.

He plans to buy a new vehicle and invest the rest. 

More than $72 million in prizes remain, including two $2 million top prizes.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Rape victim wins $1 billion verdict in civil suit against security company

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 2:11 AM

Rape Victim Wins $1 Billion Verdict Against Security Company

A Georgia rape victim was awarded a $1 billion settlement verdict Tuesday by a Clayton County jury in a civil lawsuit, according to court documents.

Hope Cheston, who is now 20 years old, sued a security company whose employee, Brandon Lamar Zachary, was convicted of rape and sentenced to 20 years in prison. The rape occurred in October 2012 when Cheston was 14. 

Hope Cheston, who is now 20 years old, sued a security company whose employee, Brandon Lamar Zachary (pictured), was convicted of rape and sentenced to 20 years in prison.(Clayton County Sheriff's Office)

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution’s policy is to not name rape victims, but Cheston has chosen to speak out after the verdict. 

“Sexual assault is sexual assault,” Cheston said at a news conference Wednesday. “It’s not right, and it needs to be punished.”

She said the verdict was a pleasant surprise that validates her struggles and emotional pain.

>> Read more trending news 

“For the longest (time), I thought it would be pushed under the rug and no longer mattered ... but come to find out 12 strangers feel like what I went through and my story and how I feel six years later is worth a billion dollars,” Cheston said.

She originally filed the civil suit against the apartment complex, HACC Pointe South Inc., the property management company, Hammond Residential Group, Inc., and the security company, Crime Prevention Agency Inc.

HACC Pointe South Inc. and Hammond Residential Group Inc. were eventually dismissed from the suit.

The State Court of Clayton County ruled in Cheston’s favor against the security company, handing her the huge settlement, according to a statement from her attorney. 

“This is a huge victory for women,” Cheston’s attorney, Chris Stewart, said at the news conference.

Stewart said Crime Prevention Agency Inc. has since changed its name to International Security Agency Inc., which he said has prompted a subsequent lawsuit.

“You can’t change names or try to hide from your responsibility,” Stewart said.

Zachary, who is now 28, was arrested on charges of rape, statutory rape and child molestation, according to the Clayton County Sheriff’s Office. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Parents remember son killed in car crash on the way to take his final exam

Published: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 10:22 AM

Caleb Keller died in a car accident on the way to take a final exam . (Photo: WSBTV.com)
Caleb Keller died in a car accident on the way to take a final exam . (Photo: WSBTV.com)

The family of a Floyd County high school senior is planning his funeral just days before they were planning to see him graduate.

>> Read more trending news

His family told Channel 2's Matt Johnson they're overwhelmed by the support they've received.

Blue ribbons are everywhere near Model High School, even on the school itself, to honor Caleb Keller, 18.

"He was a very special kid," said his mother, April Helton. "He said, 'I'm going to make it, I'm going to walk across that stage,' and we are all just so excited."

But four days before graduation, the high school senior died in a two-car crash on the way to take his finals.

Floyd County authorities said Keller crashed his car into another truck at Mango Road and Wayside Road at around 10:30 a.m.

He died Tuesday morning.

His family said he was on his way to school to take his finals, but the road was wet.

"The road right there is a gravel road, and it had washed, and he just lost control," said his father, Clint Helton.

His family said the community has placed hundreds of blue ribbons for Keller all across the county, including some at his high school.

They are thankful and hopeful that Caleb's friends can still enjoy the graduation ceremony.

"We want this to be bright and happy for them because that's what Caleb would want," April said.

His parents want everyone to know through their pain and their heartbreak, they feel incredibly proud of their beloved son.

"Even though Caleb's not going to be there to walk with them, he's just as much a part, and he's there," April said.

The other driver involved in the crash was released from a hospital with minor injuries.

Trending - Most Read Stories