CLOSINGS AND DELAYS:

Clark Preparatory Academy,

breaking news


N. Korea says it’s still willing to meet with Trump after sudden cancellation of summit

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 9:32 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 9:32 PM

President Trump Cancels Meeting With Kim Jong-un

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said he is still willing to meet with President Donald Trump, after Trump abruptly canceled a summit Thursday, which was scheduled for June 12 in Singapore.

>> Read more trending news

"We express our willingness to sit down face-to-face with the U.S. and resolve issues anytime and in any format," North Korea’s Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan said in the statement, according to South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency.

He also said the North was frustrated with the cancellation because they had been preparing for the meeting with Trump.

"Despite all of this, the U.S.' unilateral decision to scrap the talks causes us to reconsider whether all of the efforts and the path we have taken is really the right one or not," he said in the statement.

Yonhap also reported that Kim said the sudden cancellation of the summit next month underscores the urgent need for a meeting between Trump and Kim

In canceling the summit, Trump also left open the possibility that the meeting could be rescheduled

(Previous story)

President Donald Trump said Thursday that he remains open to meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, hours after he canceled their planned summit in Singapore in a letter released by White House officials. 

“I believe that this is a tremendous setback for North Korea and, indeed, a setback for the world,” Trump said Thursday at a news conference. “I hope that Kim Jong Un will ultimately do what is right not only for himself, but perhaps most importantly what is right for his people, who are suffering greatly and needlessly.”

He added that “our military ... is ready,” should North Korean officials respond to Thursday’s cancellation with a show of force. Japanese and South Korean officials have also vowed to respond if “foolish or reckless acts be taken by North Korea,” Trump said.

 

Still, the president didn’t rule out the possibility of meeting with Kim.

“A lot of things can happen, including the fact that, perhaps, it’s possible the existing summit could take place or a summit at some later date,” Trump said. “Nobody should be anxious. We have to get it right.”

The president wrote in his letter to Kim that his decision to cancel the planned June 12 meeting came “based on the tremendous anger and open hostility” displayed in a recent statement from North Korea.

>> From Jamie Dupree: President Trump scraps summit meeting with Kim Jong Un

In the statement, the North Korean government referred to Vice President Mike Pence as a "political dummy" and said it is just as ready to meet in a nuclear confrontation as at the negotiating table.

“I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting,” Trump wrote. “Please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties but to the detriment of the world, will not take place.”

Senior North Korean diplomat Choe Son Hui told North Korea’s state-run news agency on Thursday that, “Whether the U.S. will meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown is entirely dependent upon the decision and behavior of the United States,” The Associated Press reported.

>> Reports: North Korea demolishes nuclear test site

Trump responded to the comment in his letter Thursday, telling Kim that, “You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”

The letter was released just hours after reports surfaced that North Korea had demolished a nuclear test site in the country's northeast region. The closing of the testing site had been announced as a step leading up to the summit between President Donald Trump and North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un, the Associated Press reported.

Trump earlier this month announced that a historic meeting between him and Kim would take place in Singapore in June.

 

Read the full letter released Thursday by White House officials:

```

Letter to Chairman Kim Jong Un by National Content Desk on Scribd

```

Check back for updates to this developing story.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Back on the air with Jamie Dupree 2.0

Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 12:15 PM

It was just another newscast this morning for WSB Radio in Atlanta. It was just another newscast on WDBO in Orlando, WHIO in Dayton, WOKV in Jacksonville, and KRMG in Tulsa. But it was much more than that for me, as my voice – my new, computer generated voice – went on the air today, getting me back on the radio for the first time in two years, after my voice was taken away by an unknown neurological disorder.

We call it, Jamie Dupree 2.0, a voice synthesized from recordings of my past news stories, which when paired with a special text-to-speech program, will allow me to go back on the radio,

I tuned in from home to see how it would sound. It all seemed so normal. The anchor reading the intro. “More from Jamie Dupree in Washington.” And then my story played on the radio, just like up until the spring of 2016.

A few hours later, I got to work, and there was breaking news from the Supreme Court, as the Justices sidestepped a ruling on two cases dealing with gerrymandering of legislative district lines.

It all felt so normal. I typed up my story, fed it out to my stations, and it hit the air.

At home it seemed normal. But at work in the Capitol, when it played out in real time – the moment hit home.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Child knocks over glass sculpture, parents may be on the hook for $132,000 bill 

Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 8:20 AM

Kansas Family May Have To Pay $132K Bill After Child Breaks Glass Sculpture

A child’s accident that broke a piece of art may cost a family in Kansas City $132,000.

Sarah Goodman and her husband and child were at a wedding reception at Overland Park’s Tomahawk Ridge Community Center. Sarah told the Kansas City Star her family was getting ready to leave and was saying goodbye to the bride’s father and they heard a noise on May 19. 

When they went to investigate, a glass sculpture was on the ground.

Goodman told The Star, “He probably hugged it. Maybe my son hugged a torso because he’s a loving, sweet nice boy who just graduated from preschool.”

The parents may be paying the bill for that hug. Goodman said she received a letter from Travelers insurance that stated:

“This loss occurred when your son was in a closed area of the property and toppled a glass sculpture. Under common law in Kansas, you are responsible for the supervision of a minor child and your failure to monitor them during this loss could be considered negligent,” The Star reported.

In surveillance video however, people are seen in the same room where the sculpture was located.

The letter then asked the Goodmans for their insurance information.

Goodman says that while she is working with her home owners insurance company, KSHB reported, she shouldn’t have to pay the bill because the sculpture was not marked do not touch. It was also not roped off from visitors or secured in her opinion.

“It’s in the main walkway. Not a separate room. No Plexiglass. Not protected. Not held down,” Goodman told KSHB. “There was no border around it. There wasn’t even a sign around it that said, ‘Do not touch.’”

A spokesperson for Overland Park says that the sculpture was on loan and that the city is responsible to protect it, but added that it was not to be touched.

“There’s a societal responsibility that you may not interact with it if it’s not designated for interaction,” Sean Reilly told KSHB.

Goodman said she has not figured out how she will pay the value of the glass sculpture and she’s upset that no one from the city has shown concern for her son after the accident.

“He’s honestly been having bad dreams every night,” Goodman told KSHB. “None of these people have ever once said, ‘How is Troy? how is your son holding up? Is his face OK?’”

Goodman told police, who were called to the scene because of a disturbance, that her son had injuries to his face, but police said it was a civil matter, The Star reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Immigration: Trump administration defends 'zero tolerance' policy (live updates)

Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 12:46 PM
Updated: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 12:46 PM

A Look At Donald Trump's Presidency

White House officials pushed back Monday against critics of the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy. The policy has led to the separation of children from their parents at the U.S.-Mexico border.

>> Read more trending news

Update 12:46 p.m. EDT June 18: President Donald Trump again accused Democrats of obstructing efforts to deal with illegal immigration and the separation of children and parents at the border, telling reporters Monday that “we’re stuck with these horrible laws” because Democrats refuse to sit down with Republicans.

There are no laws mandating the separation of children and parents at the border.

“We have the worst immigration laws in the entire world,” Trump said. “Nobody has such sad, such bad – and in many cases, such horrible and tough – you see about child separation. You see what’s going on there.”

“The United States will not be a migrant camp and it will not be a refugee holding facility,” Trump said.

Update 12 p.m. EDT June 18: U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Monday said authorities don’t want to separate children from their families but that officials have a duty to prosecute people who illegally cross the border.

“When we ignore our laws at the border we obviously encourage hundreds of thousands of people a year to likewise ignore our laws and illegally enter our country, creating an enormous burden on our law enforcement, our schools, our hospitals and (our) social programs,” Sessions said Monday during the National Sheriffs’ Association Annual Conference in New Orleans.

He framed the issue as a debate over “whether we want to be a country of laws or whether we want to be a country without borders.”

“President Trump has said this cannot continue,” Sessions said. “We do not want to separate parents from their children. If we build the wall, if we pass legislation to end the lawlessness, we won’t face these terrible choices. We will have a system where those who need to apply for asylum can do so and those who want to come to this country will apply legally.”

Sessions’ arguments echoed those of President Donald Trump, who has blamed Democrats for passing laws that he said led to the separations.

There are no laws mandating the separation of children and parents at the border.

Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said earlier Monday that officials will not apologize for enforcing immigration laws.

"We have to do our job," she said.

Original report: President Donald Trump defended his administration’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy on Monday, writing in a series of tweets that children are being used “by the worst criminals on earth” to get into America as critics slammed the policy for separating children from their parents.

“Children are being used by some of the worst criminals on earth as a means to enter our country,” Trump wrote. “Has anyone been looking at the Crime taking place south of the border. It is historic, with some countries the most dangerous places in the world. Not going to happen in the U.S.”

 

The president pointed to a rise in crime in Germany as an example of the chaos caused by illegal immigration, writing in a tweet that it was a “big mistake made all over Europe in allowing millions of people in who have so strongly and violently changed their culture.”

   

However, Germany’s internal ministry reported last month that criminal offenses in the country were at their lowest since 1992, according to Reuters.

This spring, the Trump administration ordered prosecutors to charge every person illegally crossing the border. Children traveling with the adults have been separated and placed in detention centers, prompting protests nationwide.

The president has blamed Democrats for not fixing the law that allows for the separations.

“Tell them to start thinking about the people devastated by Crime coming from illegal immigration,” the president wrote. “Change the laws!”

     

Despite his claim that Democrats are at fault for the situation, The Associated Press reported that the Trump administration “put the policy in place and could easily end it.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

4 children, suspect in police shooting dead after 23-hour standoff in Florida

Published: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 @ 7:18 AM
Updated: Monday, June 11, 2018 @ 11:58 PM

4 Children, Suspect in Police Shooting Dead After Standoff

Four children are dead following a hostage situation and a standoff with a suspect accused of shooting an Orlando police officer in the face.

>> Read more trending news

UPDATE 11:41 p.m. EDT: The suspect, Gary Lindsey, is also dead, police and sheriff's office sources told WFTV.

 

Orlando Police Chief John Mina said Monday afternoon that police negotiators had been in communication with Lindsey since the standoff at the Westbrook Apartments, which began about midnight.

The children Lindsey was holding hostage ranged in age from 1 to 11. Two of them were Lindsey's children and the others belong to his girlfriend.

Officers were called to the apartment by his girlfriend because of a domestic dispute. Upon arriving, the officers were fired upon, and Office Kevin Valencia was shot. 

The police chief said Valencia is expected to survive but he has "very significant injuries."

Court record shows Lindsey has an extensive criminal history.

(Orange County Sheriff's Office)

ORIGINAL STORY: Orlando police say an officer was shot while responding to a domestic violence call and the suspect has taken four children hostage.

Orlando Police Chief John Mina said officers responded to the report of a woman who said she was being battered by a man around 11:45 p.m. Sunday at the Westbrook Apartment complex on Eaglesmere Drive, just north of Universal Studios. The suspect opened fire when officers confronted him, Mina said.

>> Read more trending news

The suspect is barricaded in that apartment complex with four children under the age of 12. The youngest hostage is 1 year old, Mina said. SWAT teams and dozens of officers have surrounded the area.

Mina said the officer suffered a serious injury, but has undergone surgery and is expected to survive.

 

Mina did not release the name of the wounded officer, or the name of the suspect who is still barricaded in that apartment complex.

A woman who lives in the apartment building tells Channel 9's Steve Barrett she heard gunfire, then saw an officer who appeared to be injured being rushed away in an SUV.

"We saw the officers dragging another officer - he was lying on the floor, they were trying to keep him awake - they threw him in the car and drove off," said resident Nicole Gonzalez.

Gonzalez said police then went door to door escorting people out of their homes as the standoff began.

 

Channel 9's Sarahbeth Ackerman reports a heavy police presence at Orlando Regional Medical Center, where the officer was taken.

Police are also investigating in the vicinity of a nearby Waffle House on Kirkland Road.

Trending - Most Read Stories