log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, November 09, 2017 @ 6:45 AM
PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. — A woman in Pinellas County was arrested Sunday after a 3-year-old girl flew into the windshield of her car from slamming on the brakes in a 90 mph car chase, deputies said.
Before the incident, Justine Olesky, 33, got into a physical fight with her boyfriend while the toddler stood next to her, WFTS reports.
Once the boyfriend left, Olesky put the girl in the passenger seat of her car without a seat belt, and then chased after him going 90 mph in a residential neighborhood, according to Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office deputies.
Olesky hit the brakes when she saw her boyfriend, causing the 35-pound child to eject forward and hit her head on the windshield, deputies said. Deputies said the girl hit her head so hard it shattered part of the windshield, leaving blonde strands of hair in the glass, WFTS reports.
When deputies arrived to the scene, they said Olesky did not seem concerned about the child and “continued to talk about her boyfriend,” WFTS reports.
The child was taken to a local hospital and fortunately did not suffer serious injuries, deputies said.
Olesky faces charges of child abuse and domestic battery. She is being held at the Pinellas County Jail on a $12,500 bond, according to jail records.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 7:35 AM
SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. — A 3-year-old girl was in critical condition Sunday afternoon after being left in a vehicle overnight near Sanford, Florida, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said.
Deputies said they were called to the Vista Haven Apartments on Petunia Terrace around 11:12 a.m. Sunday after reports of a missing child left in a vehicle that was possibly stolen.
The toddler was found overheated and in and out of consciousness inside the vehicle at the apartment complex and was taken to a local hospital in critical but stable condition, deputies said.
Deputies said they arrested 33-year-old Sanford resident Casey Keller and charged her with child neglect with great bodily harm.
Keller allegedly traveled to a liquor store late Saturday night with three children and returned to the apartment complex around 11:15 p.m., investigators said.
According to a press release, Keller took two older children into an apartment but did not bring in the 3-year-old.
Deputies said Keller called 911 Sunday morning to report the child was missing.
Investigators said they have found no evidence the vehicle was stolen.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 5:41 AM
WASHINGTON — Two first ladies are weighing in on the separation of immigrant children and parents at the United States' border with Mexico.
Former first lady Laura Bush criticized the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" policy on illegal immigration as "cruel" in a Washington Post op-ed Sunday.
"I live in a border state," Bush wrote. "I appreciate the need to enforce and protect our international boundaries, but this zero-tolerance policy is cruel. It is immoral. And it breaks my heart."
According to The Associated Press, the policy, which started last month, "sought to maximize criminal prosecutions of people caught trying to enter the U.S. illegally," leading to more adults in jail, separated from their children.
"Our government should not be in the business of warehousing children in converted box stores or making plans to place them in tent cities in the desert outside of El Paso," Bush continued. "These images are eerily reminiscent of the Japanese American internment camps of World War II, now considered to have been one of the most shameful episodes in U.S. history."
She added: "In 2018, can we not as a nation find a kinder, more compassionate and more moral answer to this current crisis? I, for one, believe we can."
First lady Melania Trump also shared her thoughts on the issue Sunday.
"Mrs. Trump hates to see children separated from their families and hopes both sides of the aisle can finally come together to achieve successful immigration reform," said her spokeswoman, Stephanie Grisham, according to CNN. "She believes we need to be a country that follows all laws, but also a country that governs with heart."
Published: Sunday, June 17, 2018 @ 7:50 AM
Updated: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 8:52 AM
TRENTON, N.J. — One suspect is dead and 22 people were hurt early Sunday after gunfire rang out at an arts festival in Trenton, New Jersey, authorities said.
DEVELOPING: 20 hurt in shooting at NJ arts festival, police say, suspect killed https://t.co/vHAcKMsF5b— NBC New York (@NBCNewYork) June 17, 2018
According to The Associated Press, Mercer County Prosecutor Angelo Onofri said two suspects began firing their weapons at the Art All Night festival about 3 a.m. EDT Sunday. Authorities originally said four of the victims were injured critically, and 17 of the victims suffered gunshot wounds, the AP reported. A 13-year-old teen who was in critical condition was upgraded Sunday night to stable condition, The Trentonian reported
UPDATE, June 18, 2018, 8:53 a.m. EDT: Police said Tahaij Wells, 32, died at the hospital after suffering gunshot wounds during the melee, The Trentonian reported. Police said he was one of the suspects who were shooting inside the warehouse.
Police identified another shooter as Amir Armstrong, 23, who was listed in stable condition at a hospital, the Trentonian reported. Prosecutors said Armstrong was charged with a weapons offense. Police said there was a third suspected gunman who was in critical condition but did not identify him, the newspaper reported.
UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 2:59 p.m.: New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy spoke at the Galilee Baptist Church in Trenton. “Art All Night is a time when we call come together. We cannot let gun violence tear us apart,” he said. “These are not inappropriate times to talk about gun policy. These are the most important times to talk about gun policy.”
We awoke to news of a mass shooting right here in Trenton.— Governor Phil Murphy (@GovMurphy) June 17, 2018
Art All Night is a time when we all come together. We cannot let gun violence tear us apart.
These are not inappropriate times to talk about gun policy. These are the most important times to talk about gun policy. pic.twitter.com/EJtM7iLOPN
UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 2:40 p.m.: The Trentonian reported that “law enforcement sources” believed a fight that sparked the shooting was the result of an ongoing conflict between two rival groups. A social media post 15 hours before the shooting suggested that there would be gunfire at the event. A Facebook post by Danielle Grady pleaded for people to “Please, please, do not got to Art All Night! They will be shooting it up!”
The post has since been taken down, but the Trentonian ran a screen shot of the Facebook post.
The show I was supposed to be playing has been cancelled due to a shooting. I'm so thankful we weren't scheduled to play overnight. I feel so awful for those affected by this.— Darling In The ShwanXX (@xxShawn) June 17, 2018
My thoughts are with those in Trenton that have been affected by the shooting that has occurred at Art All Night. Knowing how well the community typically gets together for AAN my heart is breaking.— Vincent Wilson (@vincentxwilson) June 17, 2018
UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 11:00 a.m. EDT: Officials said 22 people were injured during the incident, 17 by gunfire. Of the four people injured critically, one was a 13-year-old boy who was in “extreme critical condition,” police said.
UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 9:25 a.m. EDT: What Mercer County Prosecutor Angelo Onofri said the festival does not appear to have been the target of the shooting, NJ.com reported.
"All indications are that this was a dispute between individuals that occurred at Art All Night," Onofri said.
UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 9:08 a.m. EDT: At a news conference Sunday morning, Trenton Mayor Eric Jackson called the shooting “truly a tragedy” for the city.
“All shootings, whether large or small, are a crisis. It’s a fact that our cities, as well as our suburbs, throughout America are experiencing an increase in public shootings and public unrest,” Jackson said. “This isn’t some random act of violence; this is a public health issue. We are working cooperatively and collaboratively to end this violence in the city of Trenton.”
UPDATE: June 17, 2018, 8:53 a.m. EDT: Art festival officials announced on Facebook “with great regret” that the remainder of the festival had been canceled.
“We’re still processing much of this and we don’t have many answers at this time,” officials wrote in the Facebook post.
Published: Monday, June 18, 2018 @ 8:42 AM
— Since 1789, eight U.S. presidents have either died or been killed while in office. One has resigned.
On the death of the eight men and the resignation of the other, their vice presidents stepped into the role of president, following the requirement laid out in the Constitution for an orderly change of leadership.
But what would happen if the president and the vice president were simultaneously unable to carry out their duties? Who would step in to be president?
The Presidential Succession Act of 1947 outlines the order of succession to the presidency with a list that includes congressional members and those serving in the president’s cabinet. Congress is authorized to enact legislation concerning the order of succession under Article II, Section 1, Clause 6 of the U.S. Constitution. The Twentieth Amendment, adopted in 1933, and the Twenty-fifth Amendment, adopted in 1967, also address who will sit in the Oval Office and under what circumstances.
There have been three presidential succession acts passed in the country’s history, with the 1947 act being the latest.
In 1792, the act declared that, the president pro tempore of the Senate would be first in line for the presidency should the president and the vice president both be incapacitated. The speaker of the House was second in line.
The 1886 act replaced the president pro tempore and speaker on the list with the members of the president’s cabinet.
The order of succession reflected the order in which the cabinet positions had been created, with the secretary of state first in line after the vice president.
In 1947, the president pro tempore of the Senate and the speaker of the House were brought back in to the line of succession. This time, the speaker of the House was first in line behind the vice president, and the president pro tempore second in line. Members of the cabinet fill out the line as they did in the 1886 act, by when the cabinet positions were created.