log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, July 14, 2016 @ 1:46 PM
Updated: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 @ 10:00 AM
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, (R), is set to face Democrat Tim Kaine in Tuesday's vice presidential debate.
Pence and Kaine will meet on the stage at Longwood University in Farmville, Va. The debate begins at 9 p.m. (ET).
Pence is not new to politics, here are a few things we know about him:
1. Pence, 57, is governor of Indiana and has said he was going to seek re-election this year.
2. He served six terms in the U.S. House of Representatives.
3. Pence is a Christian with strong support from evangelicals in his state, his party and beyond.
4. He served as chairman of the Republican Study Committee and was later elected chairman of the House Republican Conference. He was also assigned to the House Committee on Foreign Affairs.
5. He enjoys strong support from colleagues in Congress where he seems to have been liked by Republicans and Democrats.
6. He was an early Tea Party advocate, voting against No Child Left Behind and TARP.
7. According to the Indianapolis Star, “In addition to fighting abortion, he opposes embryonic stem cell research, thinks marriage should be between one man and one woman and supported "don't ask, don't tell," the now dissolved government policy of banning openly gay and lesbian people from serving in the military.”
8. Pence and his wife, Karen, have a son and two daughters. Karen is a former school teacher.
9. He endorsed Ted Cruz for president in the Indiana primary.
10. Pence is well connected to Republican national fundraising networks run by Charles and David Koch.
11. He once considered launching a state-run news agency, but abandoned the idea after the Indianapolis Star uncovered the plan.
12. On March 26, 2015, Pence signed the Indiana "religious objections" bill into law that some saw as a pass to discriminate against LGBT people. After waves of pressure over the bill, Pence signed legislation revising the law ("fixing it," he said) to prevent discrimination against homosexuals.
13. He considered running for president in the 2016 cycle.
Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 1:16 PM
Updated: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 1:16 PM
LONDON — Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, formerly known as Kate Middleton, has given birth to a baby boy, Kensington Palace tweeted Monday.
>> MORE ROYAL FAMILY COVERAGE: Photos: Royal baby watch: Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, in labor | Hospital begins preparations for Will, Kate and new baby | Photos: William, Kate and their growing family | Photos: Prince William through the years | Photos: Kate Middleton through the years | Photos: Queen Elizabeth II celebrates 92nd birthday | Royal Wedding: Everything to know before Prince Harry marries Meghan Markle | More trending news
Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 1:13 PM
MIAMI — Police used a stun gun and forcibly removed an unruly passenger Sunday who started a fight with a couple aboard a plane at Miami International Airport, police said.
Jacob Garcia, 28, touched a female passenger without her permission, screamed and insulted her and her boyfriend before attendants on the American Airlines flight from Miami to Chicago moved him to another seat, according to WPLG.
After he was moved to another seat, he began using racial slurs and was asked to leave the plane, according to WPLG. When he refused, the crew started to deplane the entire aircraft. That is when Garcia started a physical altercation with the passenger he was rude to earlier, according to airline officials.
“What is the reason? Why you are removing from this plane,” Garcia is heard saying in a passenger’s video.
“You just assaulted a lady,” a man replies.
When Miami-Dade police officers arrived, Garcia was belligerent with them and was subsequently subdued with a Taser, video shows. The remaining passengers on board can be heard clapping when he was removed. The plane departed about an hour later than scheduled, American Airlines said.
Police said Garcia reached for an officer’s service weapon and kicked out a window of a patrol car when he was taken into custody, according to WPLG.
Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 9:19 AM
BOTHELL, Wash. — A Washington family is warning others, after their boxer somehow got poisoned by meth.
They noticed something was off with their two-year-old pup “Allie” and rushed her to the pet ER Friday.
The Veterinary Specialty Center in Lynwood – where they brought Allie - says cases where pets get poisoned by pot or illicit drugs is going up. Now about 25 percent of its cases are from pets eating drugs.
Saturday morning, Allie was able to come home, but the Bothell family is still trying to figure out where the meth came from and how their dog got ahold of it.
“She’s a typical boxer. Out of control all the time, happy, a clown,” said Jen O’Brien, her owner.
Her and her fiancé’s two boxer dogs have access to a fenced-in backyard and the house during the day, but on Friday, they found Allie behaving strangely.
“She just wasn't right,” O’Brien said. “Neurotic, moving around very weird, wouldn't eat a cookie. Very abnormal for her.”
O’Brien showed KIRO7 a video of a very different Allie, tapping her foot, looking confused.
Their vet recommended they take Allie straight to the ER.
A urine analysis showed she tested positive for meth, cocaine, and amphetamines.
“I was very startled. I’ve never heard of a dog even ingesting that before. It made sense with the symptoms she was showing, but it was pretty scary. Very scary,” O’Brien said.
The Veterinary Specialty Center’s medical director, Karen Kline said over the phone that stimulants cause heart failure in pets, and if Allie didn’t get to the hospital she could have died.
“They said based on her urine and color, it was a substantial amount,” O’Brien said.
What has her scared - her dogs didn't leave the house or yard. O’Brien wonders if someone, somehow left or planted the drugs on her property.
“I think it's very strange,” O’Brien said. “I think it needs to be out there just so people are aware.”
“I don't want any more dogs hurt. I’m worried about having my own dogs in my own yard and that shouldn’t happen,” she said.
Kline says she has not heard of any recent cases of people intentionally dosing dogs with drugs, though again - accidental poisonings are on the rise.
If this case warrants it, O’Brien is offering a $1,000 reward that leads to an arrest.
O’Brien says she is filing a police report with Bothell Police.
Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 1:25 AM
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — A massive hunt to capture the man wanted in connection with the shooting deaths of four people at a Waffle House in Antioch, Tennessee, outside Nashville, continues.
Travis Reinking, 29, is now on the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation's Top 10 Most Wanted List, and law enforcement said he is armed, dangerous and hiding, WHBQ's Greg Coy reports.
Police said Reinking returned to his apartment after opening fire at the Waffle House. Reinking, who reportedly was nude at the time of the shooting, put on pants and then ran into the woods, police said.
Neighbor Johnny Green said another neighbor noticed Reinking and called police.
"My mom saw him," Green added. Coy asked, "What did she say about him?" "He just seemed weird," Green replied.
Police said they hope the rain and cooler temperatures will draw Reinking out of hiding. Police said Reinking's options are limited because the crime and social media attention have made him an international fugitive.