DEVELOPING:

breaking news


Texas toddler's oven death: What we know so far

Published: Sunday, November 22, 2015 @ 7:59 AM
Updated: Sunday, November 22, 2015 @ 7:59 AM

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

A Texas toddler reportedly burned to death Monday evening after one of her 3-year-old siblings placed her in an oven and another turned it on.

Here's what we know so far:

>> RELATED: Baby dies after siblings put her in oven and turn it on

Content Continues Below

>> RELATED: Father of siblings of Texas toddler who died in oven speaks out

1. Police believe the victim, 19-month-old J'Zyra Thompson, and her siblings were unsupervised at the time. KTRK reported that Racquel Thompson, the children's mother, went to pick up a pizza with her boyfriend and left J'Zyra and her three siblings – a 5-year-old and two 3-year-olds – alone in their Houston apartment, according to court records. One of the 3-year-olds put J'Zyra in the oven, and the other 3-year-old "made the oven 'hot'" as J'Zyra kicked the door, authorities said

2. When the children's mother returned home, she reportedly tried to perform CPR on J'Zyra but was too late. Emergency workers also were called to the scene but could not save the girl, according to KPRC

3. Officials said this wasn't the first time the mother had left the children at home alone. Thompson told Child Protective Services that she frequently left the kids unsupervised while she dropped off her boyfriend at work, KTRK reported

>> Read more trending stories

4. The surviving children are now in foster care, according to KTRKKPRC reported that the 5-year-old was placed in a separate home from the two 3-year-olds. 

Thompson's ex-boyfriend and the father of at least two of the children, Fredrick Price, told KTRK that he wants custody of the kids.

"I have to go get them," he said. "I have to go and get them."

He did not know for sure whether J'Zyra was his child.

"She was a cute little baby; I just didn't know if that was my daughter or not," Price said.

5. Thompson and her current boyfriend have not been charged in the incident. But officials with Child Protective Services said criminal charges likely will be filed, according to KTRK.

Read more here and here.

>> Click here to watch a video report


Trending - Most Read Stories

Lioness sees Simba toy, paws at glass to get stuffed animal

Published: Monday, July 23, 2018 @ 9:16 AM

FILE PHOTO
Warren Little/Getty Images
FILE PHOTO(Warren Little/Getty Images)

Can you feel the love tonight?

A lioness is caught on video smitten with a stuffed animal from the Disney animated classic “The Lion King.”

The viral video was shot at the Oklahoma City Zoo recently. Mary Jo Robertson was there with her 5-year-old niece, KFOR reported

Content Continues Below

The video shows the lioness coming to the glass separating her from the crowd. The lioness can see following the stuffed animal as the little girl walks back and forth, KFOR reported. She even paws at the glass to get to Simba. 

>> Read more trending news 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Toronto shooting: 2 killed, suspect dead after gunman shoots 14 in Greektown, police say

Published: Monday, July 23, 2018 @ 8:05 AM
Updated: Monday, July 23, 2018 @ 8:05 AM

Toronto Shooting: At Least 2 Dead, Multiple Shot

Two people were killed and the suspect is dead after a gunman shot 14 people in Toronto’s Greektown neighborhood Sunday, police said.

Here are the latest updates:

Update 8:05 a.m. EDT July 23: The slain suspect was a 29-year-old man, Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit said in news release Monday morning.

Content Continues Below

The release, citing “preliminary information,” said the man “fired shots at groups of people several times” along Danforth Avenue around 10 p.m. Sunday, hitting “several people” and fatally injuring two people.

“Officers located the man on Bowden Street and an exchange of gunfire took place,” the release continued. “The man fled the area and was located, deceased, on Danforth Avenue.”

The unit, which has assigned three forensic investigators and six investigators to the case, looks into “reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault,” the release said.

Update 7:51 a.m. EDT July 23: A second victim has been pronounced dead after a gunman opened fire late Sunday in Toronto’s Greektown neighborhood, Toronto police tweeted Monday morning.

>> See the tweet here

Meanwhile, Canadian Prime Minister tweeted his condolences Monday morning to the victims of Sunday’s mass shooting in Toronto.

“My thoughts are with everyone affected by the terrible tragedy on the Danforth last night in Toronto, and may the injured make a full recovery,” Trudeau tweeted. “The people of Toronto are strong, resilient and brave – and we’ll be there to support you through this difficult time.”

>> See the tweet here

Update 2:01 a.m. EDT July 23: Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders said the child in critical condition is an 8- or 9-year-old girl, the Washington Post reported. He described the victim who was killed as a “young lady,” according to The Associated Press.

No further information about the condition of the victims was immediately available.

Saunders said the shooter used a handgun in the rampage and was killed after exchanging gunfire with officers. The shooting did not appear to be random, Saunders said.

One witness, John Tulloch, said he heard as many as 30 gunshots, the AP reported.

A video circulating on Twitter appeared to capture the sound of gunfire.

>> Click here to watch (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised.)

 

Update 1:06 a.m. EDT July 23: The child who was shot, a young girl, is currently in critical condition, according to Toronto police.

Police say it is “too early to say whether the shooting is terrorism,” The Associated Press reported.

One city official, Councillor Paula Fletcher, said the shooting was not gang-related. Fletcher and Councillor Mary Fragedakis also said the gunman was emotionally disturbed.

 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Baby bald eagle dies less than week after first flight

Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 4:58 PM

Flyer, an 870day-old bald eagle, died a week after taking her first flight. (Photo courtesy Jim Weller)
Flyer, an 870day-old bald eagle, died a week after taking her first flight. (Photo courtesy Jim Weller)

Flyer, the baby bald eagle who took her first flight Tuesday, has died.

Jim Weller, founder of Eastwood Eagle Watchers, confirmed that the 87-day-old eagle was struck by a delivery truck while attempting to cross Interstate 75 in Dayton Sunday morning.

>> Read more trending news

Content Continues Below

She flew across the highway from the north riverbank area and attempted to land but missed her perch. Weller said this is common for eagles at this age. She then flew back across the highway to the north riverbank area, but she was too low and was struck by the delivery truck.

A member of the Eastwood Eagle Watchers witnessed the accident. 

Weller said she flew outside of Carillon Historical Park for the first time Saturday.

According to Weller, 50 percent of eagles do not survive their first year. A lot goes against them, he said, such as electrical wires, automobile traffic and planes.

Flyer had a wingspan of 6 feet and hatched in April, said Weller.

Her remains were recovered and taken to the Glen Helen Raptor Center in Yellow Springs. She will then be transported to Colorado Springs, Colorado, to a federal eagle repository, as required by federal law, Weller said.

Flyer, an 87-day-old bald eagle, died a week after taking her first flight. (Photo courtesy Jim Weller)

Flyer’s father, Orv, and mother, Willa, were still active in her life. Orv had caught her a fish to eat and Willa was perched nearby Saturday.

Weller said her father and mother will spend about one to two weeks searching for her. 

Bald eagles were absent from Dayton for 70 years until a pair appeared near Eastwood Metro Park in 2008.

Trending - Most Read Stories

SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launches at Cape Canaveral 

Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 5:30 PM

SpaceX Launches Satellite At Cape Canaveral


SpaceX lit up the night sky over the Space Coast this weekend with the launch of the Telstar 19 Vantage satellite around 1:50 a.m. Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

The space launch company said Saturday that its Falcon 9 rocket was vertical on the launch pad at Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Content Continues Below

Telstar 19 Vantage is described as a “state-of-the-art, high throughput satellite optimized to serve growing markets in the Americas,” said Dan Goldberg, Telesat's president and CEO.

Telstar 19 Vantage will help improve mobile communication signals from Latin America to Northern Canada.

Following the launch, SpaceX will also attempt to land Falcon 9’s first stage on its droneship, “Of Course I Still Love You,” in the Atlantic Ocean.

Trending - Most Read Stories