2 teens charged with murder in 74-year-old woman's death

Published: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 8:30 AM

Photo credit: DodgertonSkillhause / Morguefile.com
DodgertonSkillhause / Morguefile.com
Photo credit: DodgertonSkillhause / Morguefile.com(DodgertonSkillhause / Morguefile.com)

Police have arrested two Indianapolis teenagers, including an 18-year-old former nurse’s aide, in connection with the death of a 74-year-old woman, according to the Indy Star.

>> Watch the news report here

Kiesha Summerhill and her 19-year-old boyfriend, Arion Cruthird, face murder charges in the Jan. 7 death of Alice Wright. The charges were announced by Brownsburg Police Sgt. April Hyde during a news conference, which was live-streamed by WXIN.

Summerhill had previously cared for Wright’s husband, Kerney.

Police say the pair broke into the senior couple’s home and robbed the Wrights. Alice Wright’s daughter alerted police after she found her mother in her bedroom with an apparent gunshot wound.

Kerney Wright, who uses a wheelchair, was found in another room in the home. He was treated at a hospital for health issues unrelated to the case, police said.

>> On Rare.us: The kids and mother involved in a murder-suicide in North Carolina have been identified

Investigators believe Alice Wright was likely dead for 12 hours before she was found. The autopsy report ruled the manner of death as homicide and the cause of death as multiple traumas “that complicated her hypertensive cardiovascular disease,” the Indy Star reported.

Hyde said investigators have made steady progress in the case over the last five days, but said there remain plenty of questions that need answers.

“It’s been rapidly evolving, but it’s also been very cumbersome and tiring for the investigators,” Hyde said, “and I can’t even imagine what the family is going through.”

>> On Rare.us: A Florida mom reportedly died in a murder-for-hire plot, but she wasn’t even the target

Hyde also alerted residents of Brownsburg to take proper precautions to protect themselves from crime.

“In this day and age, you need to stay aware of what’s going on around you, you do need to protect yourself,” Hyde said. “There’s no leaving your doors unlocked to your residence anymore. There’s no leaving your cars unlocked. These crimes are happening, and they’re happening more frequently in our community, unfortunately.”

>> Read more trending news 

The Wright family released a statement Friday and reported that Kerney will have to move into a nursing home to receive proper care for his medical conditions.

“The love of Kerney’s life, his wife of 39 years, and his full-time caregiver, Alice, was tragically taken from him January 6th,” the family statement read. “Kerney has disabilitating medical conditions that will require entry into a skilled nursing facility.”

GoFundMe page has been set up to help the family with Kerney’s medical expenses.

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

Hormel recalls more than 220,000 pounds of Spam

Published: Saturday, May 26, 2018 @ 11:51 PM

Hormel recalled more than 220,000 pounds of canned pork and chicken. (Photo: U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service)
Hormel recalled more than 220,000 pounds of canned pork and chicken. (Photo: U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service)

Hormel has recalled 228,614 pounds of canned pork and chicken products sold throughout the United States and Guam after metal objects were found in them by consumers. 

>> Read more trending news

The recalled Spam and “Hormel Foods Black-Label Luncheon Loaf” were made from Feb. 8 to Feb. 10 and include “EST. 199N” on the bottom of the can, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service.

The recall affects 12-oz. cans of “Spam Classic” shipped throughout the United States with a best by date February 2021 date and production codes: F020881, F020882, F020883, F020884, F020885, F020886, F020887, F020888 and F020889; and 12-oz. cans of “Hormel Foods Black-Label Luncheon Loaf” shipped to Guam with a best by date of February 2021 and production codes F02098 and F02108.

There were reports of minor oral injuries to consumers who ate the tainted product. The inspection service did not get any other reports of injuries.

The products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase. Hormel consumer response can be contacted at 800-523-4635.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Florida woman passes note saying boyfriend holding her captive, deputies say

Published: Saturday, May 26, 2018 @ 11:20 PM

A note given to staff at an animal hospital by a woman being held captive by her boyfriend, deputies said. (Photo: Volusia County Sheriff's Office)
A note given to staff at an animal hospital by a woman being held captive by her boyfriend, deputies said. (Photo: Volusia County Sheriff's Office)

Volusia County deputies arrested a man after his live-in girlfriend passed a note to staff at a DeLand animal hospital saying he was threatening her, according to an arrest report. 

>> Read more trending news

Jeremy Floyd, 39, is accused of beating his 28-year-old girlfriend and threatening her at gunpoint for two days, deputies said. 

According to deputies, Floyd beat his girlfriend Wednesday, causing her to stay in bed all day Thursday with a head injury. 

On Friday afternoon, his girlfriend was able to persuade him to let her bring her dog to DeLand Animal Hospital—but he insisted on accompanying her with a loaded handgun, deputies said. 

Once at the veterinary hospital, the woman slipped a note to the staff there that said, “Call the cops. My boyfriend is threatening me. He has a gun. Please don't let him know.”

A staff member called law enforcement and a DeLand police officer detained Floyd, a convicted felon, and took his gun.

The Sheriff’s Office then took over the investigation because the incident happened in Volusia County.

Angie Pye, CEO of Volusia County's Beacon Center, said the woman's quick thinking may have saved her life.

"If they had alerted him in some way, this might not have been as peaceful, you know, somebody may have gotten hurt," Pye said. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

FBI special agent in charge dies of complications from role at World Trade Center

Published: Saturday, May 26, 2018 @ 10:14 PM

FBI Atlanta Division Special Agent in Charge David LeValley speaks at a news conference as the City of Atlanta and its local, state and federal partners join to discuss public safety and emergency preparedness plans at the Atlanta Public Safety Headquarters, leading up to the College Football Playoff National Championship to be held on Jan. 8, 2018. (Photo: John Amis/The Atlanta Journal-Constitution)
FBI Atlanta Division Special Agent in Charge David LeValley speaks at a news conference as the City of Atlanta and its local, state and federal partners join to discuss public safety and emergency preparedness plans at the Atlanta Public Safety Headquarters, leading up to the College Football Playoff National Championship to be held on Jan. 8, 2018. (Photo: John Amis/The Atlanta Journal-Constitution)

Atlanta Special Agent in Charge David LeValley died Saturday morning of complications from his role as a first responder at the World Trade Center during 9/11. 

>> Read more trending news

LeValley served as the special agent in charge of the Atlanta Division since November 2016. He previously served as the SAC of the Criminal and Cyber Division at the Washington Field Office.

LeValley became a special agent with the FBI in 1996 and was assigned to the New York Division.

He was called to serve his country following the attacks on 9/11 at the World Trade Center, where he spent several weeks being exposed to contaminants. LeValley died in the line of duty as a direct result of his work at the World Trade Center.

"LeValley’s death is a great loss to the entire FBI, but particularly to his family, the FBI Atlanta Division and the Atlanta community," the FBI said in a statement to Channel 2 Action News. "We are honored to have served beside him and are grateful for his leadership and sacrifice."

Trending - Most Read Stories

Family sues district after daughter, 5, sexually assaulted on bus by fifth grade student

Published: Saturday, May 26, 2018 @ 9:02 PM

File photo.  (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)
Scott Olson/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Scott Olson/Getty Images)(Scott Olson/Getty Images)

A family is suing the Jackson Local School District in federal court for a 2016 incident in which their 5-year-old daughter was sexually abused by a fifth grade student on a bus, according to the lawsuit.

>> Read more trending news

The 11-year-old boy had been disciplined for throwing a lit match on the bus and was supposed to sit in the front right seat alone, the family’s attorney told WJW.

But that didn’t happen.

“The driver is unable to see the seat right behind him,” Mills told WJW. “So then over a period of a couple weeks, the kindergartner is subjected to sexual assaults. It is horrific. It is one of the most horrifying cases I have ever handled.”

The boy was charged with gross sexual imposition, according to WJW. A police report indicated video on the school bus showed the sexual assaults.

The Jackson Schools superintendent would not comment because it is an active lawsuit, according to WJW. The boy and his family have since moved out of the district.

Trending - Most Read Stories