UPDATE:

ICYMI:


Suspect pulls police officer inside car, drives up to 71mp after traffic stop

Published: Thursday, March 08, 2018 @ 9:24 PM

WATCH: Suspect Takes Off With Police Officer In Car After Traffic Stop

Authorities said a driver took off with a police officer inside a car Thursday, reaching speeds up to 71 mph on a busy road.

>> Read more trending news 

Police say the smell of marijuana initiated a pat-down after the officer pulled over the driver for a traffic violation.

Marietta police said the traffic stop took place just after 7:30 a.m. when the officer pulled the car over for a traffic violation. He smelled marijuana and asked the driver to step out, police said.

Police said the driver cooperated at first but took off when police backup arrived.

Investigators said the officer was pulled into the car after putting the driver in a headlock. A second officer at the scene was shoved to the ground, and the driver took off and accelerated, police said.

Police said the car stopped about a mile away from the site of the traffic stop.

Earlier reports said the officer was dragged by the car, but dashcam video showed the officer was completely in the vehicle even though the door was open. At some point, the officer closed the door in order to keep from falling out, police said later.

The driver and two passengers tried to run away, police said, but they were taken down by other responding officers and arrested.

"Certainly, it was a chaotic scene,” said Marietta Police Officer Chuck McPhilamy. “We're incredibly happy and fortunate that the officer pushed back into traffic wasn't run over or hurt, even happier the officer that became trapped partially into the vehicle was able to stay just out of harm's way enough that he wasn't pushed out of the vehicle or pulled in any further or hurt. Now that we know there were handguns involved, certainly there could've been a gunfight inside the car.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

17-year-old shot, killed by police in Pennsylvania

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 12:07 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 12:07 PM

A 17-year-old was shot and killed by police in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday night after he allegedly ran away from a traffic stop on foot.
WPXI.com
A 17-year-old was shot and killed by police in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday night after he allegedly ran away from a traffic stop on foot.(WPXI.com)

A 17-year-old was shot and killed by police in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday night after he allegedly ran away from a traffic stop on foot, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news 

Police have not officially identified the teenager, but community sources told WPXI he is Antwon Rose. He attended Woodland Hills High School last year.

>> Visit WPXI.com for the latest on this developing story

According to the Allegheny County Police Department, Rose got out of a vehicle that matched the description of a vehicle seen near a shooting that occurred shortly before 8:30 a.m. on Kirkpatrick Avenue in North Braddock.

The vehicle, which police said had damage from bullets to the back window, was stopped near Grandview Avenue and Howard Street.

An officer from the East Pittsburgh Police Department was handcuffing the driver when two males ran from the car, police said. One of those males was Rose, according to officials.

Rose was taken to McKeesport Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The Allegheny County Police Department is asking the other person who ran away from the vehicle to turn himself in "so that he can give a comprehensive description of what occurred."

The victim in the North Braddock shooting, a 22-year-old man, was treated for his injuries and released from an area trauma center.

The Allegheny County Police Homicide Unit is investigating both incidents. 

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man with gun tattoo on forehead charged with illegal gun possession

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 12:10 PM

Michael Vines
Greenville Police Department
Michael Vines(Greenville Police Department)

Michael Vines has a gun tattooed on his forehead, but that’s not the weapon that put him behind bars in South Carolina.

Police in Greenville reported Tuesday that Vines was involved in a recent car crash, after which city firefighters said they saw him toss a weapon into the grass nearby. The firefighters reported it to police officers, who recovered the gun, described as a fully loaded Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver. 

Vines, whose mugshot shows a tattoo of a handgun in the middle of his forehead, is federally prohibited from having a gun, police officials said. He was charged with unlawful carrying of a firearm, as well as driving under a suspended license and speeding. 

“The real weapon was placed in property and evidence,” police officials said on the department’s Facebook page

>> Read more trending news

The department’s social media followers couldn’t resist a few jokes at Vines’ expense. One man asked if someone “held a gun to his head” to make him get the tattoo. 

Another man offered this hypothetical exchange:

“COP: ‘Sir, do you have any guns on you?’ 
THIS GUY: ‘No.’ 
COP: ‘Are you sure?’
THIS GUY: ‘Absolutely. No way.’ 
COP: ‘Are you suuuuuuuurrrrreeeee?’ (Taps him on the forehead.)”

“Remorse written all over his forehead,” a commenter said. “No, wait. Nope, that’s a gun. My bad.”

Police officials did not say why Vines is prohibited from possessing a gun. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Trump says he'll 'be signing something' to end migrant family separations

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 12:56 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 12:56 PM

'Zero Tolerance' Immigration Policy: Why Are Children Being Separated From Their Families

President Donald Trump told reporters Wednesday that he will “be signing something in a little while” to address family separations at the U.S.-Mexico border.

>> Read more trending news

“We want to keep families together, it’s very important,” Trump said. "I’ll be doing something that’s somewhat preemptive and ultimately will be matched by legislation I’m sure.” 

It was not immediately clear what the president planned to sign. Trump has repeatedly called on Congress to change laws that he says mandates the family separations. There is no law that requires children be separated from parents at the border.

He blamed Democrats for the continued separations in a Wednesday morning tweet, but he added that he was “working on something.”

The Associated Press reported Wednesday that Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was drafting an executive action for Trump that would allow the Department of Homeland Security to keep migrant families together at the border.

Nielsen does not believe Congress will act to resolve the issue of migrant family separations, the AP reported, citing two unidentified sources familiar with the matter. She’s working with officials from other agencies, including the Justice Department and the Department of Health and Human Services, to draft the executive action.

The Trump administration in April directed prosecutors to pursue cases against all people suspected of crossing the border illegally as part of a “zero tolerance” immigration enforcement policy. Parents have been separated from their children as they face prosecution.

Nearly 2,000 children were separated from their families over a six-week period in April and May, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

The executive action Nielson is drafting “wouldn’t end the zero tolerance policy, but would aim to keep families together and ask the Department of Defense to help house the detained families,” according to the AP.

Check back for updates to this developing story.

Trending - Most Read Stories

US Navy drops live bombs in Florida national forest

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 8:29 AM

US Navy Drops Bombs In Florida Forest

Residents in southern Marion, northern Lake or west Volusia counties should not be alarmed if they hear loud booms near their neighborhoods.

The US Navy began bomb training exercises this week at the Pine Castle Range Complex in the Ocala National Forest, officials said in a news release.

F-18 jets fly from Naval Air Station in Jacksonville and conduct the training.

Read: Navy Destroyer named after Winter Park veteran christened

Residents nearby might hear the training or feel the vibrations.

The exercises began Monday and continue Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Thursday 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. to 6:45 p.m., officials said.

>> Read more trending news 

Officials said wildlife might be temporarily displaced and that drivers should use caution when driving through the Ocala National Forest and surrounding areas.

The telephone number for noise complaints is 1-800-874-5059. 

Trending - Most Read Stories