Sen. Al Franken accused of groping woman in 2010

Published: Monday, November 20, 2017 @ 10:07 AM

What You Need To Know About Al Franken

A woman accused Sen. Al Franken, D-Minnesota, of groping her during a photo-op in Minnesota in 2010, two years after the former comedian and radio show host was voted into the U.S. Senate, CNN reported on Monday.

>> Read more trending news

Lindsay Menz, now 33, told CNN that she was posing for a photo with Franken at the 2010 Minnesota State Fair when the senator “pulled me in really close, like awkward close, and as my husband took the picture, (Franken) put his hand full-fledged on my rear.”

She said the “uncomfortable” incident left her feeling “gross.”

"It wasn't around my waist. It wasn't around my hip or side. It was definitely on my butt," she told CNN. "I was like, ‘Oh my God, what's happening?’"

In a statement to CNN, Franken said that he felt “badly that Ms. Menz came away from our interaction feeling disrespected,” but he said he didn’t remember taking the photo with her.

Menz came forward in the wake of allegations against Franken made by Los Angeles news anchor Leeann Tweeden. In a blog post for KABC, Tweeden wrote that Franken, who was a radio host for Air America at the time, forced himself on her as they were practicing a skit he wrote for the tour.

Franken has since apologized for the incident.

>> Related: Sen. Al Franken accused of kissing, groping news anchor without consent

“I felt disgusted and violated,” Tweeden wrote. “No one saw what happened backstage. I didn’t tell the sergeant major of the Army, who was the sponsor of the tour. I didn’t tell our USO rep what happened.”

She said she focused on entertaining the troops and didn’t speak up because she “didn’t want to cause trouble.”

“We were in the middle of a war zone, it was the first show of our holiday tour, I was a professional and I could take care of myself,” she wrote. “I told a few of the others on the tour what Franken had done, and they knew how I felt about it.”

>> Related: 'SNL' slams former cast member Al Franken on 'Weekend Update'

Franken called for an investigation into the 2006 incident after apologizing to Tweeden in a statement last week.

"The truth is, what people think of me in light of this is far less important than what people think of women who continue to come forward to tell their stories," Franken said. "They deserve to be heard, and believed. And they deserve to know that I am their ally and supporter. I have let them down and am committed to making it up to them.”

Al Franken Accused Of Groping A Woman In 2006

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

3-year-old run over, killed by lawnmower in Washington

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 11:46 PM

(File photo)
(File photo)

A 3-year-old boy died Thursday evening after the child was run over by a lawnmower near Snohomish, Washington, deputies said

>> Read more trending news

Crews responded after reports of a person under a lawnmower. 

Deputies said the was riding on his father's lap when he fell off and went under the lawnmower. 

He was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Deputies said they're seeing this as an accident. 

According to deputies, the father wasn't under any influence. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

'Cosby' reruns are gone from Bounce TV

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 11:29 PM

Bill Cosby, center, leaves the the Montgomery County Courthouse after being convicted of drugging and molesting a woman, Thursday, April 26, 2018, in Norristown, Pa.  (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)
Matt Slocum/AP
Bill Cosby, center, leaves the the Montgomery County Courthouse after being convicted of drugging and molesting a woman, Thursday, April 26, 2018, in Norristown, Pa. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)(Matt Slocum/AP)

“The Cosby Show” reruns are gone from Atlanta-based Bounce TV following guilty verdicts returned today by a Pennsylvania jury.

>> Read more trending news

“Effective immediately, Bounce is removing ‘The Cosby Show’ from our schedule,” the network said in a statement to media outlets including The Hollywood Reporter.

Bounce had yanked them before Cosby’s 2017 trial, amid mounting allegations, but had returned them to its lineup.

In a 2016 statement the network said:

“Following the results of a qualitative research study which indicated demand from a vast majority of Bounce viewers to see ‘The Cosby Show’ on television again, the network has made the decision to begin airing the series (in December 2016). While we take very seriously the accusations against Bill Cosby, our research showed that African-American consumers see a distinction between Bill Cosby, the man, and the iconic TV character Cliff Huxtable. Research and direct viewer feedback were the deciding factors in the network’s decision to move forward. The desire among African Americans to see the show on TV again is being reinforced on social media based upon overwhelmingly positive viewer response since the announcement.”

Here’s the announcement Bounce posted at the time.

That’s all over now. The network does still show “Cosby” spinoff “A Different World” on its roster.

Jurors in Bill Cosby’s retrial on sexual assault charges on Thursday returned guilty verdicts. Cosby, 80, was allowed to leave the courthouse on $1 million bond and faces sentencing at a time yet to be announced. He faces up to 10 years on each of the three counts of which he was convicted.

Cosby has faced mounting accusations from multiple women; this trial involved victim Andrea Constand, who was a Temple University employee she said Cosby assaulted her at his home in 2004. Media outlets generally don’t identify victims of sexual assault, but Constand and other Cosby accusers have come forward to share their stories and did not request anonymity.

Besides Bounce TV, Cosby’s ties to Atlanta include a scholarship he and his wife endowed; AJC writer Rosalind Bentley reported in 2014 that the Cosby Chair for the Humanities at Spelman College, funded in part by a $20 million gift that Bill and Camille Cosby gave to the school in the 1980s, was suspended amid a raft of sexual assault allegations.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Bill Cosby found guilty in sexual assault trial

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 10:44 PM
Updated: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 10:44 PM

Bill Cosby Found Guilty Of Three Counts Of Aggravated Indecent Assault

A jury in Pennsylvania on Thursday found comedian Bill Cosby guilty of three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

>> Read more trending news

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

Florida man sets girlfriend on fire during argument, police say

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 10:19 PM

(Palm Beach Post)
(Palm Beach Post)

A 55-year-old Gainesville man was charged with attempted murder after setting his girlfriend on fire Wednesday night, according to authorities

>> Read more trending news

Roosevelt Kitchen is currently being held at the Alachua County Jail on a $1 million bond, The Gainesville Sun reports. 

Police said they found the woman in a neighbor’s bathtub with “melted skin” from the gasoline poured on her, according to The Sun. 

At about 11 p.m., Kitchen got into an argument with his girlfriend of four years after they were both drinking and using narcotics, police told The Sun. 

The woman then left the apartment, returned and left again to sit on a neighbor’s porch, The Sun reports.

After Kitchen saw her, he approached her on the porch with a red gasoline can and doused her with it. A witness told police he heard Kitchen ask “Anyone got a lighter?” before he pulled one from his pocket and set the victim on fire. 

The woman and her neighbor were unable to put out the flames and took off her burning clothes instead, police said

She was taken to a hospital for her injuries and told authorities that Kitchen had threatened to set her on fire before. 

Read more at The Gainesville Sun

Trending - Most Read Stories