severe weather


Report: Teammate claims Lochte fabricated robbery story

Published: Thursday, August 18, 2016 @ 11:29 AM
Updated: Thursday, August 18, 2016 @ 3:46 PM

The Associated Press is reporting that swimmer Jack Conger has told police that fellow Olympian Ryan Lochte made up the robbery story.

Gunnar Bentz also told the Rio police the same account.

AP quoted an unnamed source saying that Lochte, Conger, Bentz and Jimmy Feigen took a taxi to leave a party and go back to the athletes village early Sunday. They stopped at a gas station in Barra da Tijuca, a Rio suburb where many of the Olympic venues are located, at about 6 a.m.. One of the swimmers was trying to open a bathroom door, but it was locked.

>> Read more trending stories  

The swimmers pushed on the door, which broke it. They were then confronted by a security guard, who was armed, but never drew his gun. The gas station manager arrived and asked for the swimmers to pay for the damages. Another customer translated.  The swimmers paid and left.

They checked into the athletes village at 6:56 a.m.

But there are conflicting reports as to what happened after the bathroom door was broken.

The news site G1 also reported:

“According to the security, the swimmers were aggressive, altered and clearly drunk.”

The site said that a security officer showed his badge.  Two of the swimmers ran into the street and the guard, likely a policeman moonlighting as security, pointed a gun at the other two. The site said the swimmers offered $20 and 100 Brazilian real to fix the damage.

Lochte has been the only one of the four to speak publicly about the alleged robbery. He left Rio, Tuesday.

Conger and Bentz tried to leave Wednesday night, but were detained at the airport. Feigen checked in for the flight, online, but did not go to the airport.

IOC spokesman Mario Andrada, in his daily briefing with the media, said: “Let’s give these kids a break. They had fun. They made a mistake. Life goes on.”

On Sunday, Lochte told NBC that the four had been robbed at gun point by an individual posing as a policeman.

"We got pulled over in the taxi, and these guys came out with a badge, a police badge, no lights, no nothing, just a police badge, and they pulled us over," he said on the "Today" show. "They pulled out their guns, they told the other swimmers to get down on the ground. They got down on the ground. I refused, I was like, 'We didn’t do anything wrong, so I'm not getting down on the ground.'

"And then the guy pulled out his gun, he cocked it, put it to my forehead and he said: 'Get down,' and I put my hands up, I was like 'Whatever.' He took our money. He took my wallet. He left my cellphone. He left my credentials."

U.S. Swimming issued a statement later on Sunday confirming that the athletes were involved in a robbery.

Conger and Bentz were not allowed to leave the country Wednesday night. Police pulled them from their flight back in the United States.

Conger is a senior at the University of Texas. Feigen swam for UT in 2009-12.

Up until late Wednesday, only Lochte and Feigen had talked to the police about the incident that was alleged to have happened four days before.

On Wednesday, a Rio judge ordered that police confiscate the passports of Lochte and Feigen. The office of Judge Keylan Blank confirmed to the AP that Lochte and Feigen were to have their passports seized, but Lochte’s father told the wire service his son had returned to the United States before the order was issued.

Lochte, one of the most recognizable swimmers in the world, left Rio Tuesday. He was the first to speak to police.

Feigen did not show up for his flight Wednesday night but told USA Today he was cooperating with authorities.

Conger and Bentz, who will be a junior at the University of Georgia, were questioned late Wednesday. It was the first time they’d spoken to police.

UGA swimming coach Jack Bauerle said he has been "in constant contact" with Bentz.

"I will know much more today," Bauerle said, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

This story is developing. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

2018 Billboard Music Awards: Ed Sheeran, Janet Jackson, Taylor Swift top winner list

Published: Sunday, May 20, 2018 @ 8:50 PM

LAS VEGAS, NV - MAY 20:  Recording artist Khalid accepts the Top New Artist award onstage during the 2018 Billboard Music Awards at MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 20, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada.  (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Kevin Winter/Getty Images
LAS VEGAS, NV - MAY 20: Recording artist Khalid accepts the Top New Artist award onstage during the 2018 Billboard Music Awards at MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 20, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)(Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

Singers, songwriters and recording artists were awarded at the 2018 Billboard Music Awards Sunday in Las Vegas. 

>> Read more trending news

Top Artist

Billboard Chart Achievement Award

Icon Award

Top Country Song

Top Selling Album

Top Rap Song

Top Social Artist

Top Dance/Electronic Artist

Top Female Artist

Top Hot 100 Song

Top New Artist

Trending - Most Read Stories

Kelly Clarkson calls for ‘moment of action’ to honor victims of Texas school shooting at Billboard awards

Published: Sunday, May 20, 2018 @ 8:23 PM

LAS VEGAS, NV - MAY 20:  Host Kelly Clarkson speaks onstage during the 2018 Billboard Music Awards at MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 20, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada.  (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)
Kevin Winter/Getty Images
LAS VEGAS, NV - MAY 20: Host Kelly Clarkson speaks onstage during the 2018 Billboard Music Awards at MGM Grand Garden Arena on May 20, 2018 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images)(Kevin Winter/Getty Images)

In a moving and somber start to the 2018 Billboard Music Awards, Kelly Clarkson called attention to the Santa Fe High School shooting in Texas that left 10 dead and another 13 wounded.

>> Read more trending news

Instead of a moment of silence, however, Clarkson, who said no one should be in fear to go to school called on the crowd, and viewers, to honor the victims with a moment of action. 

"Once again we're grieving for more kids that have died ... I'm so sick of moment of silences ... it's not working," an emotional Clarkson said. "Mommies and daddies should be able to send their kids to school."

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police: 2 people shot, 1 dead near high school graduation in Georgia

Published: Friday, May 18, 2018 @ 10:43 PM
Updated: Saturday, May 19, 2018 @ 7:21 AM

Clayton County police confirm that two people have been shot and one of them is dead near Mt. Zion High School in Clayton County. (WSBTV.com)
gfx
Clayton County police confirm that two people have been shot and one of them is dead near Mt. Zion High School in Clayton County. (WSBTV.com)(gfx)

A shooting after a high school graduation has left one woman dead and another injured.

Update 3:58 p.m. EST:

Police told WSB that two arrests have been made, but are not naming the suspects at this time, due to additional charges pending. 

Original:

The shooting happened near Mount Zion High School at the Clayton County Performing Arts Center around 8:45 p.m. Friday.

>> Read more trending news

Police confirm that two people have been shot and one of them is dead near Mt. Zion High School in Jonesboro, Georgia. 

A graduation was being held for the Perry Learning Center when the shooting occurred in a nearby overflow parking lot.

That argument led to two women being shot, one fatally.

The woman who was killed was shot multiple times in the chest. The other woman was shot in the leg and was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment of her wounds.

Multiple police and emergency agencies rushed to the scene on the ground and in the air.

 

Glenda Norman said that her grandson was at the school when the shooting happened.

“He went there for something tonight. And I said, ‘Oh my God. I’m going to go down and check on him,’” Norman said.

Investigators said a third woman, who is 36 weeks pregnant, was thrown to the ground in the chaos from the shooting, but is expected to be alright.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Deaf, pregnant woman with service animal says she was punched on flight

Published: Sunday, May 20, 2018 @ 6:02 PM

A deaf, pregnant woman said a man punched her in the stomach and hit her service dog waiting to exit a plane. (Photo: Screengrab via WFTV.com)
A deaf, pregnant woman said a man punched her in the stomach and hit her service dog waiting to exit a plane. (Photo: Screengrab via WFTV.com)

Video shows a confrontation that erupted after a deaf pregnant woman said a man punched her and her service dog as their Frontier flight was taxiing to a gate at Orlando International Airport.

The family of the man said it was all a misunderstanding.

>> Read more trending news

Hazel Ramirez admits that her fiancé, Matthew Silva, tackled Timothy Manley in the terminal early Thursday.

But she said that was after Manley punched her service dog.

She told police the attack happened after the flight from Colorado Springs, Colorado, landed in Orlando when "the larger service animal took up more space than Timothy felt it deserved."

Ramirez, who is deaf, spoke to WFTV Friday evening through a sign language interpreter.

"My fiancé started yelling at the man and said, 'Don't you ever touch our dog. Don't touch a service animal ever,'" she said. "'That's not OK.'"

Video shows Ramirez and her fiancé respond by angrily signing at Manley.

Petrini Manley, Timothy Manley's wife, told WFTV her husband accidentally swatted the great Dane when it startled him, but he couldn't convey that to Ramirez's fiancé.

She said her husband is an animal lover who would never intentionally harm a dog.

Petrini Manley said her son recorded video that shows Silva kicking her husband in anger -- proof that Silva was the aggressor.

But Ramirez, who is 20 weeks pregnant, said it didn't escalate into a tackle until Manley punched her in the stomach after her fiancé shouted at him.

"That's when my fiancé just became furious, because he put his hands on me and the kid and the dog," she said.

She said her fiancé was trying to keep everyone there until police arrived, but Manley's family said it never understood that and instead felt they were being held hostage.

Petrini Manley said Silva is the one who got violent first, even causing her glasses to break.

The Orlando Police Department has handed over the case to the FBI since the incident happened on a plane.

An FBI spokesman said the agency is working with OPD to determine whether anyone will be charged in the case.

Trending - Most Read Stories