log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Tuesday, January 09, 2018 @ 4:27 PM
— Executive chairman of Breitbart News and former White House chief strategist, Steve Bannon, is leaving his job at the conservative-leaning website.
The company announced the move on Tuesday in a short post on its website.
“Steve is a valued part of our legacy, and we will always be grateful for his contributions, and what he has helped us to accomplish,” Breitbart CEO Larry Solov said in the statement, which also included a comment from Bannon.
“I’m proud of what the Breitbart team has accomplished in so short a period of time in building out a world-class news platform,” Bannon said.
I am proud of what we have achieved with Breitbart News. As I now step down I leave at a world-class news platform that has come a long way but has really just begun it’s mission. And you have not heard the last from me, new announcements coming up soon!#MAGA— Steven Bannon (@SteveKBannon) January 9, 2018
Later Tuesday, Bannon tweeted that Breitbart “has come along way and has really just begun its mission.”
“And you have not heard the last from me,” he said.
Bannon’s ouster follows the publication of an inflammatory new book on the Trump White House with scathing comments attributed to Bannon.
Steve Bannon, former chief strategist to President Trump, has stepped down from Breitbart, the far-right website he returned to after being ousted from the White House. Follow along for live updates: https://t.co/p77LMPTW1B pic.twitter.com/riej7rYOZF— CNN Politics (@CNNPolitics) January 9, 2018
BREAKING: BANNON STEPPING DOWN FROM BREITBART NEWS. Story to follow.— Jeremy W. Peters (@jwpetersNYT) January 9, 2018
Bannon questioned Trump’s mental stability and told author Michael Wolff in Wolff’s new book “Fire and Fury: Inside the Trump White House” that he thought a meeting Donald Trump Jr. had with a Russian lawyer in June of 2016 was “treasonous” and “unpatriotic.”
“The three senior guys in the campaign thought it was a good idea to meet with a foreign government inside Trump Tower in the conference room on the 25th floor – with no lawyers. They didn’t have any lawyers,” Wolff quoted Bannon as saying in the book. “Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad (expletive), and I happen to think it’s all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately.”
In another quote from the book attributed to Bannon, he predicted authorities would get Don Jr. "They're going to crack Don Junior like an egg on national TV,” Wolff quoted Bannon as saying.
Bannon said, "I'm proud of what the Breitbart team has accomplished in so short a period of time in building out a world-class news platform." https://t.co/HrpCSVIoMI— NPR (@NPR) January 9, 2018
Excerpts from the book started surfacing last week and Trump and White House staffers spent most of last week denying most of Wolff’s descriptions of an Oval Office in tumoil and a president coming unhinged.
However, Bannon didn’t respond until Sunday when he tried to walk back some of the comments without officially apologizing.
"Donald Trump, Jr. is both a patriot and a good man," Bannon said in a statement Sunday first reported by Axios.
"He has been relentless in his advocacy for his father and the agenda that has helped turn our country around."
"I regret that my delay in responding to the inaccurate reporting regarding Don Jr has diverted attention from the president's historical accomplishments in the first year of (Trump's) presidency," Bannon also included in the statement.
Bannon left the White House last summer and returned to his position as executive chairman at Breitbart News, but reports indicated he had fallen out of favor with wealthy conservative backers as his comments in Wolff’s book surfaced.
Steve Bannon is out at Breitbarthttps://t.co/bbtXvZputw— BuzzFeed (@BuzzFeed) January 9, 2018
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 1:20 PM
— The federal government has admitted that it does not know the whereabouts of almost 1,500 immigrant children in its custody, according to news reports.
The Office of Refugee Resettlement took in some 40,000 immigrant children in 2017 and when the agency reached out to check on more than 7,000 of them between October and December of 2017, 1,475 were unaccounted for at the end of the year, CNN reported.
The news came as the Trump administration cracks down on undocumented immigrants, threatening to separate more children from their families if the families are caught entering the United States illegally, in a new policy move.
In testimony before Congress earlier this month, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Neilsen said the children of illegal immigrants are transferred to the Department of Health and Human Services within 48 hours after they are taken into custody, and DHHS officials then find sponsored homes for them, USA Today reported.
Nielsen said separations like this happen in the U.S. every day.
Top DHHS official Steven Wagner testified before a Congressional subcommittee last month during a hearing on the Office of Refugee Resettlement that the ORR was “was unable to determine with certainty the whereabouts of 1,475 children,” and that 28 more had run away, CNN reported.
“I understand that it has been HHS’ long-standing interpretation of the law that ORR is not legally responsible for the children after they are released from ORR care,” Wagner said.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 10:05 AM
CHILLICOTHE, Ohio — A young dog found abandoned in a park in Ross County, Ohio, had the words “free” and “good home only” written on it in permanent marker, according to a post on social media.
“I usually try to contain myself with my work life and what I see every single day, but this just tops it off!” Brittany May with the Ross County Humane Society said in a post on Facebook.
Whoever did this has “reached a whole new level of LOW,” May wrote.
“How are you going to dump your dog, and write FREE all over it in permanent marker! I just don’t get it!” she said
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 2:28 PM
— Former President George H.W. Bush is back in the hospital, according to a family spokesman.
Bush was taken to Southern Maine Health Care Sunday “after experiencing low blood pressure and fatigue,” his spokesman Jim McGrath said on Twitter.
The former president is described as “awake and alert” and will probably remain hospitalized for a few days for observation, McGrath said.
President @GeorgeHWBush was taken to Southern Maine Health Care (@SMHCHealth) today after experiencing low blood pressure and fatigue. He will likely remain there for a few days for observation. The former president is awake and alert, and not in any discomfort.— Jim McGrath (@jgm41) May 27, 2018
Bush was most recently hospitalized in Houston on April 22, one day after the funeral and burial of his wife of 73 years, Barbara Bush.
During that hospital stay, he was diagnosed with an infection that had spread to his blood, doctors said at the time, but he recovered and eventually went home.
At the time he said he was looking forward to visiting the family’s compound in Kennebunkport, Maine.
Bush was out and about Saturday, marking the Memorial Day holiday, joining a group of veterans at American Legion Post 159 for a pancake breakfast in Kennebunkport.
“Delighted to join the veterans, including my dear friend Gen. Brent Scowcroft,” Bush tweeted.
Delighted to join the veterans, including my dear friend Gen. Brent Scowcroft, at the @AmericanLegion Post 159 monthly pancake breakfast in Kennebunkport today. This weekend we remember, and thank, all who have given their lives for our great country. pic.twitter.com/VQgfPmt5rw— George Bush (@GeorgeHWBush) May 26, 2018
Scowcroft was National Security Adviser during the presidencies of both Bush and Gerald Ford.
“This weekend we remember, and thank, all who have given their lives for our great country,” he said Saturday.
George Bush has a form of Parkinson's disease and uses a motorized scooter or wheelchair to get around.
He was the youngest naval aviator when he enlisted in the U.S. Naval Reserve in 1943, spurred by the attack on Pearl Harbor.
He flew 58 combat missions during World War II and was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for his bravery.
He had six children with Barbara Bush, and in 1989, he became the first sitting vice president to secure the presidency since 1837.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 11:55 AM
— Lung cancer is the deadliest cancer, with an estimated 154,050 deaths projected for 2018, according to the National Cancer Institute. Unfortunately, some groups are more likely to be diagnosed than others.
For the assessment, they examined lung cancer data of adults aged 30 to 54 from 1995 to 2014. They gathered information on sex, race or ethnic group, age, year of diagnosis and year of birth.
While previous research revealed men were more likely to be diagnosed, the new data suggests otherwise.
Overall, men were still more likely than women to have lung cancer when all races and ages were combined, but researchers noticed new patterns after closely assessing the different age and race groups.
Younger white and Hispanic women born since 1965 are now more likely to have lung cancer than white and Hispanic men, the researchers found.
For example, incidence rates for white women surpassed white men in nearly every age group examined. Rates of lung cancer among white women aged 40 to 44 went from 12 percent lower than men during the 1995-1999 period to 17 percent higher during the 2010-2014 period.
For black and Asian groups, the women rates inched closer to those of the men but did not exceed them.
In a statement, researchers said they were surprised by the results. While they are still exploring why the switch has occurred, they noted smoking patterns did not explain the change.
“While prevalence of smoking among men and women has converged over the past several decades, smoking prevalence among women has still generally not exceeded that of men,” lead author Ahmedin Jemal said. “We do not believe sex differences in smoking behavior explain our finding of a gender crossover.”
On the other hand, they do believe women more than men may be more susceptible to the health hazards of cigarette smoking. They explained that women may also be more likely to get lung cancer even after they quit smoking, but more research needs to be done.