breaking news


Police who dragged passenger from United flight stand by use of force

Published: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 @ 7:29 AM

VIDEO: Passenger Removed From United Airlines Flight

The police report from the aviation security officers who were recorded on video dragging a passenger off an United Airlines flight earlier this month has been released.

>> Read more trending news

The officers said David Dao was aggressive and said they used “minimal but necessary force to remove the subject,” WGN reported.

>>Read: Man forcibly removed from flight after not voluntarily giving up seat on flight

United had randomly selected Dao to leave the flight to allow employees fly to their work destination in Louisville.

Police reports said Dao told officials, “I’m not leaving this flight that I paid money for. I don’t care if I get arrested,” WGN reported.

This Sunday, April 9, 2017, image made from a video provided by Audra D. Bridges shows a passenger who was removed from a United Airlines flight in Chicago. Video of police officers dragging the passenger from an overbooked United Airlines flight sparked an uproar Monday on social media, and a spokesman for the airline insisted that employees had no choice but to contact authorities to remove the man. (Audra D. Bridges via AP)(AP)

The report was written by Officer Maricio Rodriguez Jr., The Chicago Tribune reported.

Video of Dao’s removal caused an uproar across the country after going viral.

One of the officers said in the report that Dao was “swinging his arms up and down with a closed fist.” He added that the passenger was “flailing and fighting” when Officer James Long tried to remove him and that is what caused Dao to hit his own head on a seat divider, The Tribune reported.

>>Read: When can an airline force a ticketed passenger off a plane?

Dao, according to the report, returned to the flight and the flight crew said he had been “spitting blood” in the galley.

It was later discovered that Dao had a concussion, a broken nose, a sinus injury and lost two front teeth, The Tribune reported.

A total of four officers, Rodriguez, Long, Stephen Smith and Sgt. John Moore, are suspended with pay. Long, who is seen dragging Dao down the aisle had returned from a multi-day suspension for not guarding an airport entrance, WHAS and WGN reported.

>>Read: All passengers on United Flight 3411 to receive compensation

Moore had also faced suspension during his tenure with the department for not being at work and not telling his bosses, WHAS reported.

The airline apologized multiple times after the incident came to light. It also has changed how and when passengers can be removed from a flight.

Why Passengers Get Bumped and What They Can Get For it

Trending - Most Read Stories

Trump calls canceled summit with North Korea's Kim Jong Un 'a setback for the world'

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 12:14 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 12:14 PM

President Trump Cancels Meeting With Kim Jong-un

President Donald Trump said Thursday that he remains open to meeting with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, hours after he canceled their planned summit in Singapore in a letter released by White House officials. 

>> Read more trending news

“I believe that this is a tremendous setback for North Korea and, indeed, a setback for the world,” Trump said Thursday at a news conference. “I hope that Kim Jong Un will ultimately do what is right not only for himself, but perhaps most importantly what is right for his people, who are suffering greatly and needlessly.”

He added that “our military ... is ready,” should North Korean officials respond to Thursday’s cancellation with a show of force. Japanese and South Korean officials have also vowed to respond if “foolish or reckless acts be taken by North Korea,” Trump said.

Still, the president didn’t rule out the possibility of meeting with Kim.

“A lot of things can happen, including the fact that, perhaps, it’s possible the existing summit could take place or a summit at some later date,” Trump said. “Nobody should be anxious. We have to get it right.”

The president wrote in his letter to Kim that his decision to cancel the planned June 12 meeting came “based on the tremendous anger and open hostility” displayed in a recent statement from North Korea.

>> From Jamie Dupree: President Trump scraps summit meeting with Kim Jong Un

In the statement, the North Korean government referred to Vice President Mike Pence as a "political dummy" and said it is just as ready to meet in a nuclear confrontation as at the negotiating table.

“I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting,” Trump wrote. “Please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties but to the detriment of the world, will not take place.”

Senior North Korean diplomat Choe Son Hui told North Korea’s state-run news agency on Thursday that, “Whether the U.S. will meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown is entirely dependent upon the decision and behavior of the United States,” The Associated Press reported.

>> Reports: North Korea demolishes nuclear test site

Trump responded to the comment in his letter Thursday, telling Kim that, “You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”

The letter was released just hours after reports surfaced that North Korea had demolished a nuclear test site in the country's northeast region. The closing of the testing site had been announced as a step leading up to the summit between President Donald Trump and North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un, the Associated Press reported.

Trump earlier this month announced that a historic meeting between him and Kim would take place in Singapore in June.

Read the full letter released Thursday by White House officials:

```

Letter to Chairman Kim Jong Un by National Content Desk on Scribd

```

Check back for updates to this developing story.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

President Donald Trump grants pardon to late boxer Jack Johnson

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 1:02 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 1:02 PM

FILE - This undated photo shows boxer Jack Johnson.  President Donald Trump says he's considering
FILE - This undated photo shows boxer Jack Johnson. President Donald Trump says he's considering "a Full Pardon!" for boxing's first black heavyweight champion more than 100 years after Jack Johnson was convicted by all-white jury of "immorality" for one of his relationships. Trump tweets that the actor Sylvester Stallone called him to share Johnson's story. Trump says Johnson's "trials and tribulations were great, his life complex and controversial." The president adds: "Others have looked at this over the years, most thought it would be done, but yes, I am considering a Full Pardon!" (AP Photo/File(AP)

President Donald Trump on Thursday granted late boxer Jack Johnson with a pardon more than 100 years after he was convicted of accompanying a white woman across state lines by an all-white jury, The Associated Press reported.

Original report: Prodded by actor Sylvester Stallone, President Donald Trump said he’s considering a posthumous pardon for boxing's first black heavyweight champion, more than 100 years after he was convicted by an all-white jury of accompanying a white woman across state lines.

>> Read more trending news

Jack Johnson, who died in 1946, was convicted in 1913 for violating the Mann Act, which made it illegal to transport women across state lines for "immoral" purposes.

"His trials and tribulations were great, his life complex and controversial," Trump tweeted Saturday afternoon from Mar-a-Lago. "Others have looked at this over the years, most thought it would be done, but yes, I am considering a Full Pardon!"

Johnson's family has tried to get a posthumous pardon for years. The tweet comes a week after Trump pardoned I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, a top aide to former Vice President Dick Cheney.

The Associated Press and the Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Morgan Freeman accused of inappropriate behavior: report

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 12:36 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 12:36 PM

Morgan Freeman: What You Need to Know

Actor Morgan Freeman has been accused of inappropriate behavior and harassment by at least eight women, CNN reported Thursday.

>> Read more trending news

The news network spoke with 16 people about Freeman’s alleged misconduct, which took place in public while Freeman was on production sets or promotional tours. Eight women said they were harassed by the 80-year-old actor. At least one incident happened in front of Lori McCreary, the woman who in 1996 co-founded production company Revelations Entertainment with Freeman, CNN reported.

A majority of Freeman's accusers said he "repeatedly (behaved) in ways that made women feel uncomfortable at work." Two women told CNN that Freeman “subjected them to unwanted touching.”

A woman who worked in 2015 as a production assistant for the film "Going in Style," starring Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin, told CNN that she was harassed for several months by Freeman. She said he tried multiple times to lift her skirt and asked whether she was wearing underwear. He stopped after Arkin made a comment about his behavior, the woman told CNN.

Another woman, who worked as a senior member of the production staff for "Now You See Me" in 2012, told CNN that Freeman sexually harassed her and her assistant, also a woman, with frequent comments about their bodies.

“We knew that if he was coming by ... not to wear any top that would show our breasts, not to wear anything that would show our bottoms, meaning not wearing clothes that (were) fitted," she said.

CNN entertainment reporter Chloe Melas said she was also subject to Freeman’s inappropriate comments. She said she was six months pregnant when the actor told her that she looked “ripe” during an interview at a press junket for “Going in Style.” She said he took her hand to shake it and held it as he looked her up and down while telling her, “I wish I was there.”

Freeman’s representatives did not immediately respond to requests for comment on CNN’s report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Trump: NFL players who kneel ‘maybe shouldn’t be in the country’

Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 12:29 PM

NFL Announces Policy Change Regarding National Anthem

President Donald Trump said in an interview with “Fox and Friends” that football players in the National Football League (NFL) who take a knee during the national anthem “maybe” should not be in the United States.

>> Read more trending news 

“I don’t think people should be staying in locker rooms. But still, I think it’s good,” Trump said in the interview with “Fox and Friends.” “You have to stand proudly for the national anthem, or you shouldn’t be playing, you shouldn’t be there. Maybe you shouldn’t be in the country.” 

Before the interview, the hosts of “Fox and Friends” said their conversation with Trump took place Wednesday, just minutes after the new NFL policy regarding players who kneel was publicly announced.

>>Read: NFL owners approve new national anthem policy, will fine teams that allow players to kneel

Trump told “Fox and Friends” that NFL owners “did the right thing.”

In the interview with Fox, Trump took credit for creating the issue, but said “the people” were the ones who “pushed it forward.”

The new NFL policy states that all players and officials on the field must stand during the national anthem, or choose to stay in the locker room while the song is played.

Any team that allows players to kneel on the field could face fines.

Controversy over NFL players who kneel during “The Star Spangled Banner” started in 2016, when former 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick refused to stand in order to protest police brutality against minorities. 

The protests grew, prompting Trump to call the kneeling “disgraceful” in statements during a joint press conference with the Spanish prime minister in 2017.

Trending - Most Read Stories