log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 2:22 PM
PALM BEACH, Fla. — A teenager who ran into a fence four blocks from Mar-a-Lago just before President Donald Trump arrived Friday evening was attempting suicide and previously called in terrorist threats to CNN, according to Palm Beach, Florida, police.
The boy, whose name was redacted from a police report because of his age, was reported as a missing suicidal teen, armed and dangerous with a baseball bat and a metal pipe. According to the report, officers found the bat and pipe in the white Dodge Charger belonging to his mother after the teen crashed it into a construction fence shortly before 6:50 p.m. in Palm Beach.
Trump's motorcade arrived at Mar-a-Lago about 7:10 p.m. The report didn't mention Trump's arrival, or whether the Secret Service considered the teen to be a credible threat to the president.
The boy was apprehended by a Palm Beach County Sheriff's deputy after he backed into a fence on Via Palma, which is within the Secret Service-mandated restricted zone around Mar-a-Lago, the report said. He told officers he ran into the fence while turning around to try to drive into the Intracoastal Waterway and kill himself, according to the report.
The report said the teen drove past two security checkpoints "at a high rate of speed" in the 800 block of South County Road, just north of its intersection with South Ocean Boulevard. That area is restricted to ID-carrying residents only.
The boy was interviewed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation after, the report said, he and a few friends pretended to be refugees in January and prank-called CNN. Federal agents contacted the boy's mother to set up an interview, according to the report, and they later met with an agent. It wasn't clear when he was interviewed. The teen told police that the agent told him being "interviewed by the FBI in reference to terrorism" would be on his "permanent record."
"(The boy) stated that he thought his 'life was over' and would never get accepted to a college or acquire a decent job," the report said. "(He) stated he then went home and attempted to commit suicide by shooting himself with a firearm."
When he couldn't find bullets, the report said, the boy took his mother's Charger, which he drove in excess of 110 mph on Northlake Boulevard and on Interstate 95 "in hopes to crash into another vehicle to kill himself."
Police said witnesses called 911 when they saw the Charger traveling at about 80 mph down South County Road in Palm Beach.
The report said he hit a traffic sign and ran at least two red lights in Midtown while heading south toward the restricted zone.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 3:33 AM
— Serial pedophile Wayne Chapman's release from prison was put on hold this week after an emergency petition pushed courts to keep him in jail.
Melanie Perkins, a friend of some of Chapman's victims, says she was shocked to hear he was supposed to be released this week.
"Wayne Chapman is a very dangerous man," Perkins said. "He’s also a very sick man."
Perkins says a few of her friends were sexually abused by Chapman, and believes the disappearance of her childhood friend Andy Puglisi, is also connected to Chapman.
"While there’s considerable circumstantial evidence against Wayne Chapman in the disappearance of Andy Puglisi, there’s, in fact, no body," Perkins said. "Andy’s remains were never found."
Chapman was convicted of raping young boys in 1977, and spent four decades in prison.
Two qualified examiners determined Chapman is no longer sexually dangerous, and he was set to be released.
The Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts agreed to take another look at the case after attorney Wendy Murphy filed an emergency petition to appeal Chapman's release.
"Obviously we are very pleased," Murphy said. "The victims are relieved to put it mildly, and they’re also optimistic."
Those against Chapman's release are optimistic now that the Judicial Court will have a say in the decision, and Perkins is hoping that the convicted child rapist is never let out.
"If and when Wayne Chapman does get out and he does re-offend, this has all been recorded," Perkins said. "So that everybody knows what the warnings were ahead of time, and this is all evidence in terms of unfortunately whatever child might be next in his case."
Chapman will remain in prison until the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts decides whether he's no longer sexually dangerous.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 3:30 AM
ATLANTA — Atlanta Special Agent in Charge, David LeValley, died Saturday morning of complications from his role as a first responder at the World Trade Center.
WSB-TV confirmed the information Saturday morning with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
FBI: Atlanta Special Agent in Charge David LeValley died this morning of complications from his role as 1st responder at #WorldTradeCenter. Line of duty. #hero. I knew him and am incredibly sad @wsbtv— Mark Winne (@MarkWinneWSB) May 26, 2018
LeValley served as the special agent in charge of the Atlanta Division since November 2016. He previously served as the SAC of the Criminal and Cyber Division at the Washington Field Office.
LeValley became a special agent with the FBI in 1996 and was assigned to the New York Division.
Our hearts are heavy at #FBI Atlanta as our leader SAC David J. LeValley paid the ultimate sacrifice today. He died in the line of duty after sacrificing for his country as a first responder to 9/11. We will always be grateful for your sacrifice and your leadership. pic.twitter.com/RiAGFIre3e— FBI Atlanta (@FBIAtlanta) May 27, 2018
He was called to serve his country following the attacks on 9/11 at the World Trade Center, where he spent several weeks being exposed to contaminants. LeValley died in the line of duty as a direct result of his work at the World Trade Center.
"LeValley’s death is a great loss to the entire FBI, but particularly to his family, the FBI Atlanta Division and the Atlanta community," the FBI said in a statement to WSB-TV "We are honored to have served beside him and are grateful for his leadership and sacrifice."
FBI Special Agent-in-charge David LeValley in interview just a few weeks ago. We’re told he died this morning of complications from work at WorldTradeCenter. One of the really good ones. Straight forward, humble, widely respected. #grace #selfless #hero @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/ATtdqKU9rf— Mark Winne (@MarkWinneWSB) May 26, 2018
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 3:03 AM
OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. — Amazon announced Saturday that it will open its first fulfillment center in Oklahoma City by the end of 2019.
The 600,000 square-foot facility will be located in Oklahoma and will create more than 1,500 full-time jobs, according to a news release from the company:
“We’re excited to open our first fulfillment center in Oklahoma and in a city with an outstanding workforce and a commitment to providing great opportunities for employment,” said Mark Stewart, Amazon’s Vice President of North America Customer Fulfillment. “Amazon is committed to creating a positive economic impact in Oklahoma City and enhancing the customer experience throughout the region.”
The facility will be responsible for packing and shipping small items to customers.
Those interested in learning about working at an Amazon fulfillment center may visit AmazonDelivers.jobs.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 2:35 AM
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — A 12-year-old boy was bitten on the foot by something, possibly a shark, while bathing on Daytona Beach, Fla., Saturday afternoon, Volusia County Beach Safety officials said.
The Gainesville boy was standing in waist-deep water around 2 p.m. at a beach when something bit him on the foot, “presumably a shark,” officials said.
The boy’s injury was minor, officials said, but he was transported to a nearby hospital as a precaution.