log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Sunday, February 28, 2016 @ 12:39 PM
Updated: Sunday, February 28, 2016 @ 4:26 PM
DAYTON — The pastor of St. Peter’s Missionary Baptist Church in Dayton was shot and killed at the church, according to police at the scene.
Witnesses tell WHIO the shooting happened at the pulpit while the choir was singing Sunday. The victim is identified as William Schooler, 70, of Dayton. The alleged shooter, according to witnesses, is the pastor’s brother. He was taken into custody at the church.
UPDATE @ 3:25 p.m.
The victim Schooler was a beloved community leader.
Schooler had previously served as an interim president on the Dayton Public Schools Board of Education.
Friend and fellow community leader Ronnie Moreland said Schooler was the current president of the Baptist Ministers Union in Dayton.
Moreland and several other community leaders plan to hold a press conference later Sunday.
“He had deep roots in the community,” Moreland said. “He was a beloved leader. It’s hard to put into words what has happened.”
UPDATE @ 3:05 p.m.
The pastor of the church who was shot and killed has been identified as William Schooler, 70, of Dayton, according to the Montgomery County Coroner’s Office.
UPDATE @ 2:17 p.m.
We’re getting various reports from the scene from witnesses saying what they saw happen.
Witnesses said the shooting happened at the pulpit while the choir was singing and the suspect taken into custody is the pastor’s brother.
Other than confirming the fatal shooting of the pastor, police have not yet provided an official statement about the incident and their investigation.
Crime scene tape is up and blocking the public from the church property as police continue to conduct an investigation.
UPDATE @ 1:37 p.m.
Police have confirmed that the pastor at St. Peter’s Missionary Baptist Church has died as result of injuries sustained in a shooting incident at the church.
UPDATE @ 1:30 p.m.
Several Dayton police cruisers are on scene and blocking traffic at Nancy Avenue and Keturah Drive as an investigation into a reported shooting gets underway at the St. Peter’s Missionary Baptist Church.
A man was walked out of the church in handcuffs and put in the back of a police cruiser.
In addition, about 10 members of the church are being interviewed at the scene.
A witness tells our crew on the scene that the alleged shooter walked into the pastor’s office and she heard two gunshots.
Police have responded to the report of a shooting at a church in the 3300 block of Nancy Avenue in Dayton.
Officers and a medic responded shortly before 12:30 p.m.
We hear possibly up to two people may have been shot and a suspect is in custody.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 11:48 AM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 11:48 AM
— Actor Morgan Freeman has been accused of inappropriate behavior and harassment by at least eight women, CNN reported Thursday.
A woman who worked in 2015 as a production assistant for the film "Going in Style," starring Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin, told CNN that she was harassed for several months by Freeman. She was not identified.
The woman said that in one incident, Freeman “kept trying to lift up my skirt and asking if I was wearing underwear."
She told CNN he stopped after Arkin commented about his behavior.
“Morgan got freaked out and didn’t know what to say,” she said.
Seven other women told CNN that Freeman, 80, acted inappropriately or harassed them. The alleged incidents took place in public and at least one happened in front of Lori McCreary, who co-founded production company Revelations Entertainment in 1996 with Freeman, CNN reported.
A majority of Freeman's accusers said the 80-year-old actor "repeatedly (behaved) in ways that made women feel uncomfortable at work." Two women, including the production assistant on "Going in Style," told CNN that Freeman “subjected them to unwanted touching.”
Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 7:55 PM
SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. — A judge in Seminole County, Florida, has granted George Zimmerman a public defender to represent him in his latest legal battle.
Zimmerman told the judge that he’s indigent, unemployed and has $2.5 million in debt and liabilities, according to court documents.
Zimmerman is facing a misdemeanor stalking charge that was filed by the Seminole County State Attorney’s Office earlier this month.
A sheriff's report said an investigator, Dennis Warren, contacted Zimmerman in September on behalf of Michael Gasparro, who is making a documentary on Trayvon Martin. The series is being produced by rapper Jay-Z.
Zimmerman allegedly told Gasparro, "Help Dennis out and give him a heads up. I'm going to find him. And I'm bringing hell with me."
He allegedly texted Gasparro and said, "Dennis is a (expletive) who bothered my uncle in his home. Local or former law officer, he's well on his way to the inside of a gator as well. 10-4?"
WFTV legal analyst Bill Sheaffer said the indigent applications are rarely scrutinized by the court because they are done under oath.
“As long as you can show your liabilities outweigh your assets, you are maybe entitled to a public defender and you are maybe entitled to the cost of defense,” Sheaffer said.
Zimmerman is scheduled to be in court May 30.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 10:51 AM
Updated: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 10:51 AM
— President Donald Trump will not meet with Kim Jong Un in June, according to a letter addressed to the North Korean leader from the president.
The letter was released by White House officials Thursday morning.
Trump wrote that his decision to cancel the planned June 12 meeting came “based on the tremendous anger and open hostility” in a recent statement from North Korea.
In the statement, the North Korean government referred to Vice President Mike Pence as a "political dummy" and said it is just as ready to meet in a nuclear confrontation as at the negotiating table.
“I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting,” Trump wrote. “Please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties but to the detriment of the world, will not take place.
Senior North Korean diplomat Choe Son Hui told North Korea’s state-run news agency on Thursday that, “Whether the U.S. will meet us at a meeting room or encounter us at nuclear-to-nuclear showdown is entirely dependent upon the decision and behavior of the United States,” The Associated Press reported.
Trump responded to the comment in his letter Thursday, telling Kim that, “You talk about your nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.”
The letter was released just hours after reports surfaced that North Korea had demolished a nuclear test site in the country's northeast region. The closing of the testing site had been announced as a step leading up to the summit between President Donald Trump and North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un, the Associated Press reported.
Trump earlier this month announced that a historic meeting between him and Kim would take place in Singapore in June.
The highly anticipated meeting between Kim Jong Un and myself will take place in Singapore on June 12th. We will both try to make it a very special moment for World Peace!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 10, 2018
Read the full letter released Thursday by White House officials:```
Check back for updates to this developing story.
Published: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 10:57 AM
GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — Police in Gwinnett County, Georgia, are searching for the person who they say shot and killed a teenager on a basketball court, WSB reports.
The teen suffered from multiple gunshot wounds and died on the way to the hospital.
“I just heard gunshots and ran down, and it’s my friend on the ground,” Quentin Wearwood said.
Investigators with the Gwinnett County Police Department said the shooting happened Wednesday evening at the Smokecreek Mobile Home Park in unincorporated Snellville.
Investigators said the suspect also pistol-whipped the victim's brother.