log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, June 14, 2018 @ 12:14 PM
Updated: Thursday, June 14, 2018 @ 12:14 PM
NEW YORK — New York’s attorney general filed suit Thursday against the Donald J. Trump Foundation and its directors, including the president and three of his children, alleging the foundation was inappropriately used for self-gain.
We are suing the Donald J. Trump Foundation and its directors @realDonaldTrump, Donald J. Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, and Eric Trump for extensive and persistent violations of state and federal law. https://t.co/aP2ui0tOTo pic.twitter.com/geSMA3fx2x— New York Attorney General (@NewYorkStateAG) June 14, 2018
“The Trump Foundation was little more than a checkbook for payments from Mr. Trump or his businesses to nonprofits, regardless of their purpose or legality,” state Attorney General Barbara Underwood said. “This is not how private foundations should function.”
Underwood said authorities found evidence that the foundation “raised in excess of $2.8 million in a manner designed to influence the 2016 presidential election at the direction and under the control of senior leadership of the Trump presidential campaign.”
"Mr. Trump's wrongful use of the Foundation to benefit his Campaign was willful and knowing," the lawsuit states. pic.twitter.com/S64KIbFm5b— Jamie Dupree (@jamiedupree) June 14, 2018
The president slammed the suit in a pair of tweets Thursday, writing that “New York Democrats ... are doing everything they can to sue me,” and vowing not to settle.
The sleazy New York Democrats, and their now disgraced (and run out of town) A.G. Eric Schneiderman, are doing everything they can to sue me on a foundation that took in $18,800,000 and gave out to charity more money than it took in, $19,200,000. I won’t settle this case!...— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 14, 2018
....Schneiderman, who ran the Clinton campaign in New York, never had the guts to bring this ridiculous case, which lingered in their office for almost 2 years. Now he resigned his office in disgrace, and his disciples brought it when we would not settle.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 14, 2018
Underwood's predecessor, Democrat Eric Schneiderman, began investigating the foundation in 2016 following Washington Post reports that its spending personally benefited the presidential candidate. Schneiderman ordered the foundation to stop fundraising in New York. He resigned last month after allegations that he abused women he had dated surfaced. He denied the claims.
Investigators said in a 41-page petition filed in court Thursday that Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski strategically ordered that foundation grants be given to nonprofit organizations in Iowa ahead of the 2016 Iowa caucuses. At least five $100,000 grants were given to Iowa nonprofits at Lewandowski’s behest, according to authorities.
Investigators said Trump also used foundation funds to pay off his legal obligations and to promote Trump hotels and businesses.
The president is accused of using at least $258,000 of the foundation’s money to settle legal claims against his Mar-A-Lago resort and the Trump National Golf Club. Authorities said he also used $10,000 to buy a painting of himself at a charity auction.
Trump repaid the funds after authorities launched their probe of the Trump Foundation, Underwood said.
None of the payments were approved by the foundation’s board of directors, which includes the president’s children Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump and Eric Trump, officials said. The board has not met since 1999, according to Underwood.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 3:44 PM
— A teen girl helped a blind, deaf man communicate on a recent Alaska Airlines flight, according to KIRO.
Dianne McGinness with Alaska Airlines shared the heartwarming story after a passenger on the flight wrote a post this week about the interaction that was shared over 400,000 times.
The passenger, Lynette Scribner, was traveling on the same flight as the teen and man, and was moved to write a post on the touching encounter.
Scribner said the man, Tim Cook, was traveling home to Portland after visiting his sister. Cook lives at Portland's Brookdale Senior Living.
When passengers of the flight realized Cook was blind and deaf, many helped ensure he was comfortable. A man sitting next to Cook gave him the aisle seat and helped with little tasks like opening his coffee creamer and pouring it into his coffee, Scribner shared.
A flight attendant made an announcement asking if a passenger on board knew American Sign Language. Fifteen-year-old Clara Daly, who has studied ASL for the last year, rang her call button.
When Daly learned the man could communicate only if someone signed into his hand, she immediately went to help.
Cook asked Daly questions and she patiently sign-spelled answers into his hand.
Scribner said Daly learned ASL because she has dyslexia, and it was the easiest foreign language for her to learn.
“Clara was amazing,” an Alaska Airlines flight attendant said in the news release. “You could tell Tim was very excited to have someone he could speak to -- and she was such an angel.”
“When (Cook) asked (Daly) if she was pretty, she blushed and laughed as the seat mate, who had learned a few signs, communicated an enthusiastic yes to Tim,” Scribner shared. “I don't know when I've ever seen so many people rally to take care of another human being. All of us in the immediate rows were laughing and smiling and enjoying his obvious delight in having someone to talk to.”
After the flight, McGinness said Cook met a service provider from Brookdale Senior Living at the gate.
Cook said the flight was the best trip he's ever taken.
Daly told her mom she thought the encounter was "meant to be," since her original flight was canceled and she was redirected to Cook's flight.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 3:50 PM
— Thousands of senior citizens across the United States are finding a profitable side hustle --- opening up their homes to strangers on Airbnb.
Nearly 78,000 seniors (ages 60 and up) across the U.S. shared their homes on Airbnb in 2017 -- accounting for $700 million in earnings, the company reports.
The typical host earned an extra $7,000 in income a year -- a positive boost for people living on fixed incomes.
Airbnb is a website that allows people to open up their homes for vacation rentals or short-term leasing. There are over 5 million homes listed on Airbnb in over 81,000 cities.
According to Airbnb’s annual survey, 41 percent of seniors reported that hosting their home has helped them afford to stay in their homes -- places they’ve often lived most of their lives.
Airbnb states that 45 percent of senior hosts rely on that extra income to make ends meet and spend it on important costs of living.
Senior hosts are beloved on Airbnb, the company said.
88 percent of trips hosted by seniors last year resulted in 5-star reviews.
Percentage of active listings with senior Airbnb hosts
Typical host earnings for seniors by state
Percentage of senior host reviews with 5-stars
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 12:52 PM
LEXINGTON, Va. — White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said she and seven members of her family were kicked out of The Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia on Friday night.
TMZ first reported that the restaurant’s owner kicked out Sanders and her family out of “moral conviction.”
A waiter posted on Facebook that Sanders was in the restaurant for “a total of two minutes” before being asked to leave.
Sanders confirmed the incident on Twitter.
“Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left,” Sanders tweeted Saturday. “Her actions say far more about her than about me. I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so.”
Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left. Her actions say far more about her than about me. I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so— Sarah Sanders (@PressSec) June 23, 2018
Sanders’ father, former Gov. Mike Huckabee, tweeted his support, saying it was an act of “bigotry.”
Bigotry. On the menu at Red Hen Restaurant in Lexington VA. Or you can ask for the “Hate Plate”. And appetizers are “small plates for small minds” https://t.co/rHEVdcQwwh— Gov. Mike Huckabee (@GovMikeHuckabee) June 23, 2018
The Red Hen’s Facebook and Yelp pages were bombarded with reviews from people from both sides.
While some praised the restaurant, many others said the owner was being “intolerant.”
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 2:58 PM
— Chef and author Anthony Bourdain did not have narcotics in his body when he died on June 8, a French judicial official told The New York Times.
Bourdain, 61, was found dead in a hotel in a small village in France on June 8.
He was staying in Kaysersberg, a small village in the Alsace region of France, filming a new episode of his CNN show “Parts Unknown.”
Police ruled his death as suicide by hanging.
Local prosecutors say Bourdain, who was open about his lifelong struggle with drugs and alcohol, was not intoxicated when he died.
“No trace of narcotics, no trace of any toxic products, no trace of medicines, no trace of alcohol,” prosecutor Christian de Rocquigny told Reuters.
Bourdain skipped dinner the night before his body was discovered, The New York Times reports.
When he did not arrive for breakfast with Eric Ripert, Bourdain’s close friend and chef of Le Bernardin in New York, a hotel receptionist went to his room to check on him and found his body.
Bourdain was cremated in France.
His remains and travel belongings have been sent to his younger brother, Christopher.
Gladys Bourdain, Anthony Bourdain’s mother, told the New York Times that the family will likely hold “a small, private ceremony of some kind.”
Italian actress Asia Argento remembered her boyfriend Anthony Bourdain on Twitter Friday, marking two weeks since his death.
Two weeks without you pic.twitter.com/C5Hqe4LG73— Asia Argento (@AsiaArgento) June 22, 2018