breaking news

breaking news

DEVELOPING:


New reports explain how quadruple amputee allegedly shot, killed parents

Published: Friday, October 02, 2015 @ 9:06 PM
Updated: Saturday, October 03, 2015 @ 8:05 PM

Trending on Facebook

More popular and trending stories

Nearly a year after an Orange County couple was murdered in their home, newly released reports are detailing how it happened.

Autopsies show Nancy Petrozzino, and her husband, Michael Patrozzino, were shot multiple times last November.

Investigators concluded their son, Sean Petrozzino, 30, was the shooter, who then killed himself after being pulled over in Tennessee.

A new report explains how Petrozzino, a quadruple amputee who lost his hands and legs from a rare form of meningitis, was able to commit the crime.

He was seen using his parents’ ATM card after the killings and quickly became a suspect after physical evidence was connected to the crime.

>> Read more Floridoh! stories

In a 12-page report, investigators found despite his physical capabilities, Petrozzino was an avid gun user and altered his weapons to accommodate his disabilities.

A family friend told investigators Petrozzino owned an M-16 assault rifle and tripod which he’s seen him fire, among several other weapons, at a gun range.

The report also found Petrozzino may not have left right after the murders because no shell casings were found at the scene.

Another finding from the report describes how Petrozzino appeared distraught over a break-up with his wife of four years.

Trending - Most Read Stories

House approves big, bipartisan bill to deal with opioid crisis

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 1:25 PM

In a fresh reminder that political cooperation is not dead on Capitol Hill, the House on Friday overwhelmingly approved a sweeping package of over fifty bipartisan bills to address the misuse of prescription opioid pain medicine, as lawmakers voted to expand a variety of services under Medicare and Medicaid to deal with the drug scourge.

“We can do things when we put partisan politics aside and work together,” said Rep. Gus Bilirakis (R-FL), one of a number of lawmakers who touted various provisions in the sweeping opioids measure.

“This particular bill, H.R. 6, is the crown jewel of all that legislation,” said Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX).

“This legislation will strengthen our efforts to advance treatment and recovery issues, and bolster the fight against deadly and illicit drugs,” said Rep. Rick Allen (R-GA).

“This is a big deal in the fight against the largest public health crisis in our country,” said Speaker Paul Ryan.

“Mr. Speaker, so often we hear about the partisan wrangling in Congress and clearly there are dividing lines on some high-profile issues,” said Rep. Steve Scalise (R-LA). “But this an issue where Republicans and Democrats have come together.”

The final vote was 396-14. The bill now goes to the Senate.

“Currently, Medicare doesn’t cover opioid treatment programs,” said Rep. Richard Neal (D-MA). “These bills are pieces of a large, complex puzzle. We need to find realistic solutions with long term outcomes.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Migrant mother, 7-year-old son reunited after being separated at border

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 1:01 PM

WATCH: Guatemalan Mother And Son Reunited

A Guatemalan woman and her 7-year-old son were reunited early Friday in Baltimore, one month after immigration officials separated them at the U.S.-Mexico border, according to multiple reports.

>> Read more trending news

Beata Mariana de Jesus Mejia-Mejia filed suit Tuesday against the government, claiming immigration officials “ripped” her son, Darwin, from her after they crossed the border into Arizona last month, Politico reported.

>> What does the new executive order on immigration do; can migrants be held indefinitely

She was reunited with her son around 2:30 a.m. at Baltimore-Washington International Airport, hours after a Justice Department lawyer told a U.S. District Court judge the child would be released.

Mejia-Mejia, 38, told reporters waiting to capture their reunion Friday morning that she could tell from her son’s face that “he’s sad, but we’re going to be together, and no one’s going to separate us again,” The Washington Post reported.

Mejia-Mejia and Darwin surrendered on May 19 to Border Patrol agents after they crossed from Mexico into the U.S. near San Luis, Arizona, according to the Post. Darwin was held at a shelter in Phoenix before his release Friday, CNN reported.

Mejia-Mejia, who came from Guatemala, filed for asylum after crossing the border. She was fleeing from violence and death threats from her husband, according to CNN.

 >> Behind the viral photo of toddler crying at the US border 

The Post reported that Mejia-Mejia was not criminally charged for crossing the border. Her attorneys argued that her case “showed that border officials were separating families to deter asylum seekers,” a tactic authorities have denied using.

The Trump administration in April directed prosecutors to pursue cases against all people suspected of crossing the border illegally as part of a “zero tolerance” immigration enforcement policy. Parents were separated from their children as they faced prosecution. 

>> Trump signs executive order ending migrant family separations 

Nearly 2,000 children were separated from their families over a six-week period in April and May, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

Trump ended the policy Wednesday with an executive order after unsuccessfully calling on Congress to stop the separations through legislation. 

Watch – President Trump Signs Executive Order Ending Migrant Family Separations
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Police make arrest in 1986 child murder

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 12:58 PM

Michella Welch. (Photo: KIRO7.com)
Michella Welch. (Photo: KIRO7.com)

A suspect was arrested Wednesday in the 1986 child murder case of Michella Welch.

Gary Charles Hartman, 66, was booked into the Pierce County Jail. He's expected to have a bail hearing Thursday, and KIRO 7 will be there. 

>> Read more trending news

Welch was 12 years old when she disappeared after she and her younger sisters visited Tacoma’s Puget Park on March 26, 1986.

Her body was found in a gulch after police conducted a search. 

In 2016, using technology called DNA phenotyping, Tacoma police and the Virginia-based company Parabon Nanolabs produced computer-generated composites using evidence found after the murders of Welch and 13-year-old Jennifer Bastian.

Welch was found in Tacoma's Puget Park in March 1986, Bastian five months later in Point Defiance Park. Both had been raped and murdered. 

At first, police thought both murders were the work of the same man, until 2013, when a re-examination of evidence proved there were actually two different killers. 

Earlier this year, Jennifer Bastian's suspected killer was also arrested.

That suspect was detained out of state and taken to Washington for prosecution. Officials with the Illinois State Police said they helped apprehend the suspect in Bastian's killing, identified as Robert Washburn.

In court documents, Pierce County prosecuting attorney Jared Ausserer said Washburn first became a suspect when he called police in May of 1986 about a composite sketch released of a suspect in the murder of Welch.

Washburn called police after the suspect sketch was released, saying he saw a similar-looking man while jogging in Point Defiance Park. 

He told police he jogged in the park as often as twice a day, Ausserer said. 

In 1986, a special task force was formed to investigate the murders of Welch and Bastian.

"There are remarkable similarities (in the murders of Welch and Bastian)," KIRO 7 reporter Karen O'Leary said on-air that year. "She and Jennifer were about the same age. Both were riding bikes when they disappeared. Both were found in north Tacoma parks."

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man's legs amputated after parasailing accident in Myrtle Beach

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:47 AM

VIDEO: Man’s Legs Amputated After Parasailing Accident in Myrtle Beach

Officials with the U.S. Coast Guard said a man had to have both of his legs amputated after an accident in Myrtle Beach this week.

>> Read more trending news

Authorities with Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue were called to the area near 3rd Avenue South Tuesday for a water rescue, officials told WPDE.

Officials said the accident happened while the man was moving from a parasailing vessel to a banana boat. They said the man fell into the water and was hit by the propellers on the boat.

Officials said the commercial parasailing operation was not inspected, but that's not required for boats carrying fewer than six people.

The Coast Guard is investigating to figure out what caused the accident.

Trending - Most Read Stories