TRAFFIC ALERT


Navy sailor presumed overboard found hiding on ship: report

Published: Thursday, June 15, 2017 @ 9:56 AM

Navy Sailor Presumed Overboard Found Hiding On Ship

A sailor, whose disappearance from a naval ship off the coast of Japan last week sparked a days-long search and presumptions that the man had fallen overboard, has been found alive aboard the ship.

>> Read more trending news

The U.S. 7th Fleet said Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 3rd Class Peter Mims, 23, was found Thursday, one week after he vanished from the USS Shiloh as the ship was 180 miles east of Okinawa, Japan.

The circumstances surrounding Mims’ disappearance remained under investigation Thursday. Citing unidentified sources familiar with the situation, the Navy Times reported that Mims apparently hid in one of the ship’s engine rooms.

He will be transferred to the USS Ronald Reagan for a medical evaluation.

Mims’ disappearance triggered a multinational search.

The U.S. Navy, Japanese Maritime Self-Defense Force and the Japanese Coast Guard spent more than 50 hours combing 5,500 square miles of the Philippine Sea in search of Mims. The search was suspended on June 11, although crewmembers on the Shiloh continued to look for the missing sailor.

“We are thankful to have found our missing shipmate and appreciate all the hard work of our sailors and Japanese partners in searching for him,” said Rear Adm. Charles Williams, commander of Carrier Strike Group 5 and Task Force 70. “I am relieved that this Sailor’s family will not be joining the ranks of Gold Star Families that have sacrificed so much for our country.”

Mims, who has ties to Putnam County, Florida, according to WOKV, enlisted in the Navy in February 2014. He reported to the Shiloh in August 2014.

Officials said he had earned a number of awards, including the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, the Navy Marine Corps Overseas Service Ribbon and the Sea Service Ribbon. He was last promoted in August 2015.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Teens who laughed, recorded man drowning won’t face criminal charges 

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 6:41 PM

Teens Accused of Laughing, Recording Drowning Man Won't Face Criminal Charges

Four teenagers and one adult who recorded a man’s drowning and laughed as it happened will not be criminally charged, the State Attorney’s Office announced Friday. 

>> Read more trending news 

Jamal Dunn, 31, of Cocoa, Florida, died in July 2017.

A passerby found Dunn’s body in a pond at Bracco Pond Park days after he died, investigators said.

 

In the two-and-a-half-minute video, the teenage boys can be heard yelling, “We’re not going to help you and you never should have gotten in there.”

>> Related: Teens record, taunt drowning man in Cocoa; no charges filed, police say

There is no Florida law that requires a person to provide emergency assistance.

Prosecutors had considered charging the group with failing to notify a medical examiner of a death, but said they could not appropriately apply it in Dunn’s case without new legislation. 

At the time the video was taken, the group ranged in age from 14 to 18.

>> Related: Florida authorities recommend charges against teens who taunted drowning man, police say

After the incident, a Florida state legislator crafted a good Samaritan bill that would have made it a crime not to assist someone in need, but lawmakers rejected it.

“I know that everyone was sickened by the callous disregard for human life exhibited by these young people. We can only hope that this was an isolated and rare circumstance that will never happen again,” State Attorney Phil Archer said. 

“Unfortunately, Florida law does not address this behavior and we are ethically restrained from pursuing criminal charges without a reasonable belief of proving a crime beyond and to the exclusion of every reasonable doubt.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Swimmers find rattlesnakes living in pool noodles

Published: Monday, June 25, 2018 @ 7:33 AM

Rattlesnakes - Fast Facts

With temperatures consistently reaching over 100 degrees, snakes in Arizona may try to find respite from the heat in any way possible. A family in Buckeye, Arizona are now warning pool users to check their noodles before jumping into the water.

According to the Buckeye Fire Department, the unidentified family left two noodles against a wall and found rattlesnakes inside them. The fire department posted the warning over the weekend on Facebook, but did not say when the homeowners found the snakes.

But they said that it is not uncommon. They have found other reports of snakes that lay eggs, depositing the eggs in pool noodles that have been left outside.

>> Read more trending news 

A snake expert told KNXV that the snakes are looking for a hiding place because of the high summer temperatures and the best way not to be surprised by a snake in pool toys is to not leave them out.

“Anything that a snake or a rodent can hide under, try to eliminate it,” Greyson Getty, a snake relocater told KNXV. “Try to keep everything neat and tidy.”

He added that snakes are looking for dark areas, so keep pool toys in a container that can close or on a shelf, KNXV reported.

FILE PHOTO (keyseeker/Morguefile license: https://morguefile.com/license)(keyseeker/Morguefile)

Trending - Most Read Stories

Sarah Huckabee Sanders kicked out of Red Hen restaurant in Virginia on ‘moral’ grounds

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 12:52 PM

Sarah Sanders Kicked Out of Virginia Restaurant

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said she and seven members of her family were kicked out of The Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia on Friday night.

TMZ first reported that the restaurant’s owner kicked out Sanders and her family out of “moral conviction.” 

>> Read more trending news 

A waiter posted on Facebook that Sanders was in the restaurant for “a total of two minutes” before being asked to leave.

 

Sanders confirmed the incident on Twitter.

“Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left,” Sanders tweeted Saturday. “Her actions say far more about her than about me. I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so.”

 

Sanders’ father, former Gov. Mike Huckabee, tweeted his support, saying it was an act of “bigotry.”

 

The Red Hen’s Facebook and Yelp pages were bombarded with reviews from people from both sides.

While some praised the restaurant, many others said the owner was being “intolerant.”

This comes after Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen bolted from a Washington, D.C. Mexican restaurant after protesters confronted her at her table -- with the blessing of the manager.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Couple has celebrated each wedding anniversary at Burger King for 50 years

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 11:48 PM

File photo. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)(Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

A couple celebrated their golden anniversary, as they have 49 others, at Burger King. 

>> Read more trending news

Lloyd and Sandy Howard’s tradition started innocuously. The couple was running late for a movie in New York on their first wedding anniversary and stopped at the restaurant for something quick to eat -- a couple of flame-broiled Whoppers, according to WPIX.

“And we decided that, every year afterwards, no matter where we were, we were going to go to a Burger King, even if it meant just having a drink or an ice cream, just to say that we went to Burger King,” Sandy Howard told WPIX

The couple, who wed on June 22, 1968, celebrated their 50th anniversary with their children and grandchildren at a Matawan Burger King. 

And their plans for their 51st anniversary? 

“Probably the same thing,” Sandy said. “Go to Burger King.”

Trending - Most Read Stories