breaking news


Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens admits to affair, but not blackmail

Published: Thursday, January 11, 2018 @ 11:43 AM

What You Need To Know About Eric Greitens

He’s admitted to sleeping with a woman who is not his wife, but Eric Greitens, governor of Missouri, says he did not blackmail the woman with whom he had an affair, CNN is reporting.

KMOV investigated Greitens after the station obtained a recording that claims Greitens blackmailed the woman to keep the affair private. The recording apparently was given to KMOV by the woman’s now ex-husband. 

>> Read more trending news 

The station has not named either the woman or her former husband.

The woman at the center of the station’s investigation has not spoken out officially about the case. When asked by KMOV, the woman’s attorney responded with no comment.

The woman’s ex-husband said the recording that he provided was made shortly after the governor’s first encounter with the man’s wife in 2015. The man also accuses Greitens of taking a photo of their encounter that he said the governor planned to use as blackmail against the woman, KMOV reported.

CNN has called Greitens “a rising star in the Republican Party.”

Greitens and his wife released a statement Wednesday that admitted that the governor was unfaithful during their marriage, but said it was before he was elected governor in 2016.

FILE - In this Dec. 6, 2016, file photo, Missouri Gov.-elect Eric Greitens and his wife Sheena speak to the media in St. Louis after she had been robbed at gunpoint the day before. Responding to a news report that overshadowed his annual State of the State address Wednesday night, Jan. 10, 2018, the Republican governor acknowledged he's been "unfaithful" in his marriage but denied allegations that he blackmailed the woman to stay quiet. The couple released a statement late Wednesday after the report that he had a sexual relationship with his former hairdresser in 2015. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)(AP Photo/Jeff Roberson, File)

Greitens attorney, James Bennett, said in a statement that his client did not try to blackmail the woman, NBC News reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Family, friends provide loving tributes to Barbara Bush at funeral service

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 10:20 AM
Updated: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 4:01 PM

VIDEO: Barbara Bush’s Funeral

Approximately 1,500 guests attended former first lady Barbara Bush's private funeral ceremony in Houston Saturday.

Barbara Bush, the wife of the nation’s 41st president and mother of the nation’s 43rd, died Tuesday at her Houston home. She was 92.

About 2,500 mourners paid their respect at a public viewing held Friday in Houston, The Associated Press reported.

>> Read more trending news 

The service took place at St. Martin’s Episcopal Church in Houston. Jeb Bush delivered a eulogy for his mother. Longtime friend Susan Baker and historian Jon Meacham also gave remarks during the 90-minute service. Multiple musical selections were performed.

A procession followed, with burial at the Bush Library at Texas A&M University in College Station. Barbara Bush will be buried next to her daughter, Robin, who was 3 years old when she died of leukemia in 1953, The AP reported.

Notable guests included first lady Melania Trump, former President Bill Clinton, former first lady and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, former President Barack Obama and former first lady Michelle Obama, The AP reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories

'Mini-Me' actor Verne Troyer dead at 49

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 4:21 PM

Verne Troyer, famous for his role as
Verne Troyer, famous for his role as "Mini-Me" in the Austin Powers comedies, died Saturday. He was 49. (Photo: Verne Troyer/Facebook)

Verne Troyer, famous for his role as Mini-Me in the "Austin Powers" comedies died Saturday. He was 49. 

>> Read more trending news

Trending - Most Read Stories

Fight over Facebook post causes Florida woman to lose toe

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 9:56 PM

Gionet Dennis (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office)
Gionet Dennis (Jacksonville Sheriff's Office)

A Jacksonville, Florida, woman lost part of her toe in a fight that apparently started because of a post on Facebook, according to police. 

>> Read more trending news

On Tuesday at 11:47 p.m., an officer responded to a call about a battery with injuries at a residence in the 1700 block of W. 27th Street. 

The caller said that a woman would not leave her property, but that the woman had left the area by the time the officer arrived.

The caller told 911 that the woman had thrown a brick at her. Once the officer arrived at the scene, the caller said no one had thrown a brick and no one had been injured.

Shortly after the officer left the residence, the woman who was initially accused of throwing a brick flagged down an officer in the 4500 block of Moncrief Road and said she had been battered, the police report said. 

The accused woman, who is identified as the victim in the police report, said she had been in the front yard of the home, talking to her boyfriend. She said 19-year-old Gionet Dennis exited the residence and started yelling for the victim to get off her property. 

The victim told the officer that she had begun yelling back, and the two women had gotten into a fight. 

The victim's boyfriend tried to stop the fight by standing between the women. When the victim tried to get into her car and flee the scene, Dennis threw a brick at the vehicle and the brick landed on the victim's toe, the police report said.

The victim was able to leave the area, police said.

According to the police report, the boyfriend told the officer he had been trying to get the victim to leave the residence because he said Dennis was mad and posting on Facebook

The police report said the victim's toe was severely injured and appeared disfigured. The officer noted the tip of her toe was no longer attached. 

The Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department responded and treated the victim's injuries. 

Dennis was arrested and taken to a pretrial facility. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Tension, arrests at neo-Nazi rally in metro Atlanta

Published: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 9:13 AM
Updated: Saturday, April 21, 2018 @ 2:45 PM

Preparations are underway for a Nazi rally set to take place in Newnan Saturday afternoon.
Steve Gehlbach/WSBTV.com
Preparations are underway for a Nazi rally set to take place in Newnan Saturday afternoon.(Steve Gehlbach/WSBTV.com)

Barricades and fencing are in place around a city park in a small metro Atlanta town preparing for a rally Saturday by a Michigan-based neo-Nazi group.

Authorities in Newnan have spent nearly a month preparing for the rally since the National Socialist Movement applied for and received a permit from the city.

>> Read more trending news 

The Michigan-based "white civil rights organization" has been labeled as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

Somewhere between 50 and 100 members of the group will rally in the Greenville Street Park starting at 3 p.m. Authorities are urging residents to stay away from the area between through 5 p.m.

Demonstrators opposed to the neo-Nazis are also expected to gather, but the number is uncertain.

Members of the “No Nazi Newnan” are made up of local and out-of-town activists, which includes Atlanta Antifascists.

"I cannot allow myself to stand idly by," said counterprotester Samantha Binion. "I'm hoping as many people as possible feel empowered to come and join us."

More than 400 police officers and sheriff's deputies will be in and around the park during the rally to make sure there's no trouble. 

Many businesses have closed for the day out of fear that there will be clashes.

Somewhere between 50 and 100 members of the group will rally in the Greenville Street Park starting at 3 p.m. Authorities are urging residents to stay away from the area through 5 p.m.

Follow WSBTV.com for live updates throughout the day on the official WSB-TV Facebook page

Trending - Most Read Stories