breaking news

JUST IN:


Las Vegas shooter's note had calculations for targeting crowd, police say

Published: Sunday, October 08, 2017 @ 4:27 AM

New Details Emerge On Las Vegas Shooter, Stephen Paddock

CNN and other news outlets are now reporting that the cryptic note left behind by Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock said to contain a puzzling series of numbers is now believed to be calculations of distance and trajectory from the 32nd-floor windows of the Mandalay Bay Hotel, which he used as a perch to fire on a crowd of thousands, kill 58 and wound hundreds.

>> On Rare.us: Police make discovery about the woman last seen with Las Vegas shooter

CBS News’s “60 Minutes” also obtained the information from officers who were on the scene first. 

>> Read the latest on the Las Vegas shootings

Officer Dave Newton of the Las Vegas Police Department’s K-9 unit said he “could see on it he had written the distance, the elevation he was on, the drop of what his bullet was gonna be for the crowd.”

>> Jason Aldean opens 'SNL,' pays tribute to Las Vegas victims, Tom Petty

“So he had that written down and figured out so he would know where to shoot to hit his targets from there,” Newton added.

Newton also described what it was like after they breached the door of the hotel room and found Paddock dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

“Very eerie. Yeah, the dust from the explosive breach. And, then you have the flashing lights,” he said. “And that looked straight, like, out of a movie, you know?”

Las Vegas Sheriff Joseph Lombardo has said his officers and the FBI are currently following up on all leads.

>> Read more trending news

“There’s people that know this individual. There’s people that can help us understand this individual,” Lombardo has said, according to KABC.

Vice President Mike Pence visited Las Vegas on Saturday to take part in a ceremony honoring the victims of last weekend’s massacre.

>> Watch the clip here

Trending - Most Read Stories

Philadelphia Starbucks arrest: Men say manager called 911 minutes after they arrived

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 2:06 PM

Rashon Nelson, left, and Donte Robinson, right, both 23, sit on their attorney's sofa as they pose for a portrait following an interview with the Associated Press Wednesday April 18, 2018 in Philadelphia.
AP Photo/Jacqueline Larma
Rashon Nelson, left, and Donte Robinson, right, both 23, sit on their attorney's sofa as they pose for a portrait following an interview with the Associated Press Wednesday April 18, 2018 in Philadelphia.(AP Photo/Jacqueline Larma)

Two black men arrested in a Philadelphia Starbucks last week after the coffee shop’s manager called 911 to report them for trespassing spoke publicly for the first time Thursday.

>> Read more trending news

Police detained the men after Starbucks employees said the pair was denied the use of the store’s bathroom and refused to leave, police Commissioner Richard Ross said.

>> Related: Video showing arrest of two black men at Starbucks sparks outrage

Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson told ABC’s “Good Morning America” that they were arrested while waiting to meet with a potential business partner at the Starbucks at 18th and Spruce streets. They said they arrived 10 minutes early for their scheduled 4:45 p.m. meeting. A manager called 911 to report that the men were refusing to leave at 4:37 p.m., according to “Good Morning America.”

Robinson said he didn’t believe officers were at the coffee shop for him and Nelson when he first spotted them last week. Nelson said it became apparent when the officers asked them to leave.

>> Related: Starbucks manager leaves company after controversial arrest of 2 black men

“There was no question of, you know, was there a problem here between you guys and a manager? You know, what happened?” Nelson told “Good Morning America.”

The men said they were not read their Miranda rights before they were handcuffed and put in the back of a police car. A bystander recorded footage of the arrests that was later posted on social media, sparking criticism and raising questions of racial bias.

>> Related: Starbucks closing over 8,000 stores for racial-bias training after controversial arrest

“This is something that has been going on for years and everyone’s blind to it, but they know what’s going on,” Nelson said. “It’s not just a black people thing, this is a people thing. And that’s exactly what we want to see out of this … true change.”

Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson apologized to the men in a private meeting with them Monday, a Starbucks spokesperson told CNN. The spokesperson declined to elaborate on what took place during the meeting.

Starbucks Executive Chairman Howard Schultz apologized Wednesday morning for the incident in an appearance on “CBS This Morning.”

>> Related: Starbucks founder Howard Schultz speaks for first time since arrest of 2 black men

Johnson apologized for the incident in a statement Saturday and pledged to investigate. 

More than 8,000 Starbucks stores will be closed nationwide May 29 for a one-day training aimed at educating employees about racial bias. Company officials said nearly 175,000 employees across the country will receive the training, which will become a regular part of the company’s onboarding process.

>> Related: Starbucks CEO meets with 2 black men arrested in Philadelphia store

Johnson said Tuesday that the planned racial-bias training “is just one step in a journey that requires dedication from every level of our company and partnerships in our local community.”

“While this is not limited to Starbucks, we’re committed to being a part of the solution,” he said.

Starbucks CEO Says He Wants To Apologize To Men Arrested In Philadelphia Store

Trending - Most Read Stories

No criminal charges filed in Prince's 2016 overdose death, prosecutor says

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:48 PM
Updated: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:48 PM

Prince - By the Numbers

Authorities have declined to press criminal charges against anyone in the 2016 overdose death of musical icon Prince, saying Thursday that investigators were unable to determine where the artist got the fentanyl that killed him.

>> Read more trending news

>> READ MORE: Charges could be announced in Prince opioid investigation two years after his death | Prince died of fentanyl overdose, autopsy report released | Search warrants unsealed in Prince death investigation | Photos: Prince through the years | MORE

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

Prince Estate releases original version of ‘Nothing Compares 2 U,’ unseen rehearsal footage

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:50 PM

Prince - Through the Years

The original version of Prince’s “Nothing Compares 2 U” is now available for fan consumption.

The song, which was a successful single Sinéad O’Connor released in 1990, was recorded by Prince in 1984 at the Flying Cloud Drive Warehouse in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, with his longtime engineer, Susan Rogers.

The estate of Prince has released the original studio version of ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)(Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Prince composed, arranged and performed the ballad in its entirety, with the aid of backing vocals from Susannah Melvoin and Paul “St. Paul” Peterson. Eric Leeds plays sax on the original track as well.

>> Read more trending news 

The song is being released to digital retailers and as 7-inch vinyl singles in picture disc and standard black vinyl formats through the Prince Estate and Warner Bros. Records.

From April 19 to April 25, the estate is also bringing back the online pop-up store PrinceHitNRun.com, where the picture disc and other limited edition Prince merchandise will be sold. The black vinyl version will be released to physical retailers on May 25.

The track is accompanied by a video featuring Prince & The Revolution rehearsing their choreography in the same warehouse in the summer of 1984.

Prince fans can also check out the new Prince Estate website, where fans can share their love of the iconic artist, who died on April 21, 2016.

Listen to Prince’s original version of “Nothing Compares 2 U” in the video above or at one of the steaming services at this link.

Trending - Most Read Stories

‘Scandal’ finale: What time, what channel, what happens to Olivia

Published: Thursday, April 19, 2018 @ 12:29 PM

PASADENA, CA - FEBRUARY 22:  The cast of
PASADENA, CA - FEBRUARY 22: The cast of "Scandal" accept the Outstanding Drama Series award onstage during the 45th NAACP Image Awards presented by TV One at Pasadena Civic Auditorium on February 22, 2014 in Pasadena, California. (Photo by Kevin Winter/Getty Images for NAACP Image Awards)(Kevin Winter)

Mellie’s in the White House. Rowan is talking to his dinosaur. Cyrus, who has killed his way to the vice presidency, is perched like a vulture waiting to take a seat behind a desk in the Oval Office.

Jake has just lost his mind.

If the names are not familiar to you, we’re guessing being a gladiator is not on your bucket list.

>> Read more trending news

The ABC series “Scandal” comes to an end Thursday after seven years of chronicling the rise and fall of Olivia Pope (played by Kerry Washington). Pope is a “fixer” in Washington, D.C., jumping in to make “awkward situations” come out right – or go away, as the case may be.

Shondra Rhimes created the show that quickly became a hit, and viewers were often surprised at the twists and turns the series took – from killing off favorite characters to revealing a black-ops group that runs the government.

In last week’s episode, Oliva is set up for a final reckoning as she is called to testify about her deeds and misdeeds of the past years. From a trailer released by ABC, it appears she will have some company in the end, as most all of the show’s major characters are seated at a table in front of a group of congressmen ready to talk.

“She started out as the character that we knew who very much believed in this power and how important this particular kind of power was, and molding it and being a part of it,” Rhimes told Variety. “We watched her, like everybody else, become completely corrupted by it and make all the same mistakes that everybody else makes to get what she wants from it. Then we watched her hopefully fight her way back from it.” 

Or, as Olivia put it: “This is bigger than us,” Olivia said. “This is about the country. This is about patriotism: the end of politics, the beginning of leadership. It all has to come down, no matter the cost . . . We are not the heroes of this story. We are the villains. This is your chance to be a hero. This is positive change.”

Rhimes, when asked about any “cultural risks involved with a black female antihero,” told The New York Times, “I’m smiling because I wasn’t thinking of her that way. For me, writing Olivia Pope as the lead meant she got to be the lead and the lead is everything. She’s the love interest, she’s mean, she’s kind, she’s flawed, she’s brilliant at her job. She makes mistakes. Equality is getting to be as screwed up and as messed up as all of the other leads on television.”

Will the Olivia get her comeuppance, or come out on the other side unscathed? You’ll have to tune in.

“Scandal” finale

What time: The episode airs at 10 p.m. ET

What channel: “Scandal” airs on ABC.

Trending - Most Read Stories