log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, November 09, 2017 @ 9:50 PM
PITTSBURGH — Pittsburgh area landlord Mike McSorley was at a loss for words as he looked back at pictures of himself stopping a suspected package thief right in his tracks.
"I approached him and asked him if I could talk to him for a second,” McSorley said.
McSorley's co-workers snapped the photos moments after he confronted the man on a North Oakland corner Thursday afternoon.
"I think he realized the gig was up and he kind of ran into me and I grabbed him and got him on the ground,” McSorley said.
He continued to hold him down until police got there.
Pittsburgh police confirm they arrested and charged the man, 42-year-old David Samuel.
They say he's responsible for at least two package thefts at an apartment building on Melwood Avenue.
McSorley shared a video with WPXI showing Samuel allegedly in the act.
He said he's not sure he would do something like this again and has a message to the suspect.
"I just hope whatever is causing him to do this.... I hope he can get his life together,” McSorley said.
Published: Thursday, July 19, 2018 @ 3:17 AM
SHELBY COUNTY, Tenn. — A west Tennessee husband and wife are accused of committing sex crimes against children over a 10-year span.
John and Dava Henley are charged with two counts of rape and four counts of aggravated sexual battery.
John Henley is also charged with aggravated rape of a child and rape of a child, according to the indictments.
Investigators said in one charge, the couple verbally directed a child to have sex with another child.
The charges stem from incidents that spanned from 2006 to 2016, the indictments said.
The children were between the ages of 3 and 13 when the crimes occurred, according to investigators.
Shelby County court records show the Henleys' home address to be in Drummonds.
While the crimes happened in Shelby County, WHBQ uncovered the investigation likely originated there.
The Tipton County Sheriff’s Office took an incident report regarding the Henleys in June 2017. It listed two juvenile victims, and the investigation was looking into allegations of forcible fondling and sexual battery.
A spokesperson with the Tipton County Sheriff's Office told WHBQ that the couple was never arrested there because authorities discovered the incidents happened in Shelby County and passed over the case.
Right now, Dava Henley has a $500,000 bond.
John Henley has an $850,000 bond.
Published: Thursday, July 19, 2018 @ 2:44 AM
Updated: Thursday, July 19, 2018 @ 2:44 AM
FORT HUNTER LIGGETT, Calif. — More than 20 people were injured late Wednesday when a tent collapsed at Fort Hunter Liggett in California, officials said.
Accident on post but no reported fatalities. A helicopter landing kicked up wind that caused a tent structure to collapse. More to follow as we assess situation.— Fort Hunter Liggett (@FtHunterLiggett) July 19, 2018
Here is the latest information:
Update 2:26 a.m. EDT July 19: According to the military base’s official Twitter account, 22 soldiers were hurt when “a U.S. Army UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter landing’s rotor wash blew over a tent structure” in a “remote training area.” Officials said four soldiers were taken to area hospitals for treatment.
Contrary to earlier media reports, nobody was killed in the incident, officials said.
“This incident occurred during an annual U.S. Army Reserve exercise, Combat Support Training Exercise (CSTX) that trains Army Reserve and Army National Guard Soldiers,” the base tweeted.
Re: Training accident tonight. During a landing in a remote training area during the CSTX, an Army helicopter stirred up wind and blew over a tent structure. There are no reported fatalities. We will continue to post information here and on FaceBook as we confirm details.— Fort Hunter Liggett (@FtHunterLiggett) July 19, 2018
Approx. 9:30 pm, a U.S. Army UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter landing’s rotor wash blew over a tent structure and injured a number Soldiers. There are NO FATALITES reported at this time. First responders on site report there are 22 injuries. 1/3— Fort Hunter Liggett (@FtHunterLiggett) July 19, 2018
The majority of injuries are minor and are being treated on site. Two of the injured were evacuated by air to Fresno, CA and two were evacuated by ground to Twin Cites Medical Center in Templeton, CA. 2/3— Fort Hunter Liggett (@FtHunterLiggett) July 19, 2018
This incident occurred during an annual U.S. Army Reserve exercise, Combat Support Training Exercise (CSTX) that trains Army Reserve and Army National Guard Soldiers. 3/3— Fort Hunter Liggett (@FtHunterLiggett) July 19, 2018
Please monitor our Facebook page as well. https://t.co/3gCoVHxWO5
Published: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 @ 9:39 AM
CAMDEN, N.J. — A New Jersey man may lose his legs and arms after he contracted a flesh-eating bacteria near a river in the state.
Angel Perez was crabbing at Matt’s Landing near Camden on July 2. Hours after the excursion, his right leg swelled. Then his daughter said that his leg started becoming brown and black and blistered, WPVI reported.
They took him to the hospital where doctors said he contracted vibrio, a bacteria commonly known as flesh-eating bacteria, WPVI reported.
Perez’s daughter said that the infection is now in his blood and he’s in critical condition, NJ.com reported.
Doctors are treating him with antibiotics and have to wait until he responds to the treatment before they consider amputating at least three, if not all four, limbs, NJ.com reported.
He is able to breathe on his own and family can communicate with Perez.
Two other friends of the family also frequent the landing and have also been experiencing swelling. One had painful swelling in a leg. Another has a swelling on an elbow, NJ.com reported.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that variations of vibrio can be found in brackish or salt water. Open wounds can cause the bacteria to enter the body. Most infections, 80 percent of them, happen between May and October when water is warm.
Those who contract vibrio vulnificus infections can get so sick that they need intensive care and even amputation of limbs. One in four people die, some succumbing to the infection within a day or two of getting sick, according to the CDC.
Published: Monday, January 08, 2018 @ 4:19 PM
LAFAYETTE, La. — A 55-year-old Texas woman is dead after contracting a flesh-eating disease from raw oysters she ate on a trip to Louisiana.
KLFY reported that Jeanette LeBlanc fell ill after consuming the oysters on a crabbing trip with family and friends. Both LeBlanc and her friend, Karen Bowers, consumed nearly two dozen oysters, but only LeBlanc began experiencing respiratory problems about a day and a half after the meal. She also developed harsh rashes, so her companions thought she was having an allergic reaction.
“An allergic reaction of sorts, that’s what I would call it. That’s what we thought,” Bowers told KLFY.
After visiting doctors days later, LeBlanc was told she had vibriosis, a disease caused by the flesh-eating bacteria vibrio.
“Most people become infected by eating raw or undercooked shellfish, particularly oysters. Certain Vibrio species can also cause a skin infection when an open wound is exposed to brackish or salt water,” according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. LeBlanc had been in contact with raw shellfish from eating the oysters, and an open wound was exposed to water described by the CDC, according to KLFY.
LeBlanc fought the illness for 21 days before she died on Oct. 15, 2017.
“I can’t even imagine going through that for 21 days. Most people don’t last,” Bowers said of her friend.
“If they really knew what could happen to them and they could literally die within 48, 36 hours of eating raw oysters, is it really worth it?” she said.
Bowers and LeBlanc’s wife, Vickie Bergquist, are working to keep others from suffering a similar fate.
“If we had known that the risk was so high, I think she would’ve stopped eating oysters,” Bergquist said.
“She was bigger than life,” she added about her late partner. “She was a great person, laughed a lot, loved her family, loved her dad.”