log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Thursday, November 02, 2017 @ 11:21 AM
— Kevin Spacey is seeking treatment following allegations of inappropriate sexual advances made by several young male actors with whom he previously worked.
“Kevin Spacey is taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment. No other information is available at this time,” the statement read.
The news comes just days after “RENT” actor Anthony Rapp accused Spacey of making sexual advances toward him when Rapp was 14 and Spacey was 26 in 1986.
Rapp alleged that Spacey invited him to his apartment and when they were alone, Spacey “picked me up like a groom picks up the bride over the threshold. But I don’t, like, squirm away initially, because I’m like, ‘What’s going on?’ And then he lays down on top of me.”
Spacey later apologized for the incident in a statement on Twitter.
According to PEOPLE, another actor, Roberto Cavazos, made similar allegations against Spacey and said that this alleged inappropriate behavior was “common” practice while he was the artistic director at The Old Vic Theatre.
“I myself had a couple of unpleasant encounters with Spacey that were on the edge of being considered assault,” Cavazos reportedly wrote in Spanish on Facebook. “In fact, if I was a woman, I probably wouldn’t have doubted in identifying them as such, but I guess the lack of a direct or aggressive action led me to justify the incident as ‘one of those things.’ ”
He continued, “I can’t recall how many people told me the same story: Spacey would ask them to meet to ‘talk about their career.’ When they got to the theater, he had a beautifully lit picnic ready on stage with champagne. Each story varies in how far the picnic went, but the pattern was the same. It was more common to find Spacey at the bar of his theater, cornering whoever caught his attention.”
A spokesperson for the theater said that there were “no complaints made against him” during his 12-year run.
USA Today reports that another accuser, filmmaker Tony Montana, said a drunken Spacey approached him in a Los Angeles bar in 2003 and allegedly groped his genitals saying, “This designates ownership.”
“He grabbed my whole package, he grabbed me hard; no one had ever done that to me,” Montana alleged.
Production on Spacey’s Netflix series has since been suspended.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 1:20 PM
— The federal government has admitted that it does not know the whereabouts of almost 1,500 immigrant children in its custody, according to news reports.
The Office of Refugee Resettlement took in some 40,000 immigrant children in 2017 and when the agency reached out to check on more than 7,000 of them between October and December of 2017, 1,475 were unaccounted for at the end of the year, CNN reported.
The news came as the Trump administration cracks down on undocumented immigrants, threatening to separate more children from their families if the families are caught entering the United States illegally, in a new policy move.
In testimony before Congress earlier this month, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Neilsen said the children of illegal immigrants are transferred to the Department of Health and Human Services within 48 hours after they are taken into custody, and DHHS officials then find sponsored homes for them, USA Today reported.
Nielsen said separations like this happen in the U.S. every day.
Top DHHS official Steven Wagner testified before a Congressional subcommittee last month during a hearing on the Office of Refugee Resettlement that the ORR was “was unable to determine with certainty the whereabouts of 1,475 children,” and that 28 more had run away, CNN reported.
“I understand that it has been HHS’ long-standing interpretation of the law that ORR is not legally responsible for the children after they are released from ORR care,” Wagner said.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 8:00 PM
RUST, Germany — There were no injuries among the thousands of people who evacuated from Germany’s largest amusement park after a fire ignited Saturday, destroying the Pirates of Batavia ride.
About 250 firefighters battled the blaze at Europa-Park into Sunday morning after the fire started in a warehouse, according to Sky News. Some firefighters suffered minor injuries and were all released from the hospital.
“A sad day for Europa-Park,” amusement park chief executive Michael Mack said on Twitter. “Thanks to all who help us to save our life's work! Can not express my feelings.”
A sad day for #europapark thanks to all who help us to save our life's work! Can't express my feelings.Lost Batavia and Norway completely-but so far no person beeing hurt— Michael Mack (@MichaelMack) May 26, 2018
Most of the park was reopened Sunday. The Dutch- and Scandinavian-themed sections of the park remain closed.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 10:31 AM
Updated: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 10:31 AM
— Tropical storm warnings are up across Florida and along parts of the Gulf Coast as Subtropical Storm Alberto lumbers across the Gulf of Mexico ruining Memorial Day holiday plans for thousands of vacationers.
Update May 27, 2018 5:05 p.m. EDT: Subtropical Storm Alberto continues to move north, north west with no change in strength.
The Tropical Storm Warning along the west coast of Florida south of the Anclote River has ended, according to the National Hurricane Center.
The Storm Surge Warning for the northern Gulf Coast of west of Navarre, Florida has ended.
Update May 27, 2018 11 a.m. EDT: Subtropical Storm Alberto is strengthening with wind speeds clocked at 50 mph, according to the National Hurricane Center, or NHC. The storm is moving north at 14 mph and it’s located about 130 miles southwest of Tampa.
Isolated tornadoes are possible as Alberto closes in on the region. Forecasters are predicting Alberto will make landfall sometime late Sunday or Monday, bringing gusty winds, heavy rain, flash flooding and storm surge to parts of the Gulf Coast.
“Alberto is expected to produce heavy rainfall with a risk of flooding and flash flooding over western Cuba, the Florida Keys and south Florida today. The risk for heavy rainfall and flooding will then spread over much of the southeast U.S. tonight and Monday,” according to the NHC.
The NHC is warning of “dangerous surf and rip current conditions” along parts of the eastern and northern Gulf Coast through Monday.
A tropical storm warning has been issued for parts of the Florida Gulf Coast including from Bonita Beach to the Anclote River as well as north near the Aucilla River to the Mississippi/Alabama border, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
A tropical storm warning means tropical storm conditions are expected somewhere within the warning area.
Heavy rainfall is expected as the storm, with sustained winds of 40 mph, continues to move at 13 mph through the Dry Tortugas.
A storm surge watch has also been issued for parts of Florida and the Mississippi/Alabama border, officials said.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 6:55 PM
ELLICOTT CITY, Md. — Heavy rains soaking much of Maryland have led to flash flooding in parts of the state.
Main Street in Ellicott City, which is just outside of Baltimore, was filled with rushing brown floodwater Sunday afternoon.
This is a second video from my sister on #EllicotCity Main Street. This is as high, if not higher than 2 years ago. She is safe for now, no idea if everyone made it out of the 1st floors. @WJZDevin @wjz @FOXBaltimore @CairnsKcairns @wbaltv11 @weatherchannel: video via Kali Harris pic.twitter.com/KOQUH0aBwp— Jeremy Harris (@JeremyHarrisTV) May 27, 2018
A flash flood emergency was issued for Howard County at 4:40 p.m.
440 PM - **FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY** has been issued for Ellicott City in Howard County, Maryland. Significant flash flooding and multiple water rescues have been reported on Main Street in Ellicott City.— NWS DC/Baltimore (@NWS_BaltWash) May 27, 2018
The city was still recovering from a devastating 2016 flood that left two people dead.
Gov. Larry Hogan has issued a state of emergency and urged residents in flash flood warning areas to seek higher ground.
Strong storms bringing heavy rain &potential for flash floods are currently moving across central Maryland. Please use extreme caution, follow all weather advisories& avoid travel if possible. If your area is under a flash flood warning, take precautions and seek higher ground. https://t.co/A2i2BjM2Wj— Governor Larry Hogan (@GovLarryHogan) May 27, 2018
I have spoken to Howard County Executive Allan Kittleman & am currently heading to Ellicott City. I have directed @MDMEMA to assist in any capacity possible, and numerous other state agencies are providing support. I have declared a State of Emergency. #ECFlood #HoCoMd— Governor Larry Hogan (@GovLarryHogan) May 27, 2018