Jason Aldean opens 'SNL,' pays tribute to Las Vegas victims, Tom Petty

Published: Sunday, October 08, 2017 @ 12:51 AM

What You Need To Know: Jason Aldean

Jason Aldean and his band have kept a low profile in the aftermath of the Oct. 1 shooting during his headline set at the Route 91 Harvest Festival in Las Vegas that claimed the lives of 58 fans and injured more than 500 others. But on Oct. 7, they made a surprise appearance on NBC’s “Saturday Night Live,” opening the show with a performance of Tom Petty’s “I Won’t Back Down.” Petty died as a result of a heart attack the day after the festival shooting.

>> On AJC.com: WATCH: Jason Aldean opens ‘Saturday Night Live’ with tribute to Las Vegas victims, Tom Petty

>> Watch the clip here

>> Read the latest on the Las Vegas shootings

“This week we witnessed one of the worst tragedies in American history,” a somber Aldean said at the top of the show. “Like everyone, I’m struggling to understand what happened that night, and how to pick up the pieces and start to heal. So may people are hurting. There are children, parents, brothers, sisters, friends, they’re all part of our family. So I want to say to them, we hurt for you, and we hurt with you. But you can be sure that we’re going to walk through these tough times together, every step of the way. Because when America is at its best, our bond and our spirit, it’s unbreakable.”

>> PHOTOS: Tom Petty through the years

>> On Rare.us: Jason Aldean’s guitarist speaks out for first time after Vegas massacre

Aldean had been scheduled to play shows in Los Angeles, San Diego and Anaheim, California, this weekend, but he canceled those gigs on Tuesday, explaining in a prepared statement that he did so “out of respect for the victims, their families and our fans.” In the same statement, he said, “Our first time back onstage will be a very tough and emotional thing for us, but we will all get through it together and honor the people we lost by doing the only thing we know how to do — play our songs for them.”

>> Read more trending news

>> On Rare.us: Jason Aldean cancels shows in wake of Las Vegas shooting

The “SNL” appearance marked the first time back onstage. Aldean's “They Don’t Know Tour” is scheduled to resume Oct. 12 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

Trending - Most Read Stories

WATCH: 'Permit Patty' appears to call police on girl selling bottled water in viral video

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 9:00 AM

File photo of bottled water. A white woman who appeared to call the police on a biracial San Francisco girl selling bottled water to raise money for a Disneyland trip has gone viral, sparking the hashtag #PermitPatty.
denvit / Pixabay.com
File photo of bottled water. A white woman who appeared to call the police on a biracial San Francisco girl selling bottled water to raise money for a Disneyland trip has gone viral, sparking the hashtag #PermitPatty.(denvit / Pixabay.com)

A white woman who appeared to call the police on a biracial girl selling bottled water to raise money for a Disneyland trip has gone viral, sparking the hashtag #PermitPatty.

>> Huge cookout held at Oakland park where cops called on black family's barbecue

According to USA Today, the girl's mother, Erin Austin, captured the alleged phone call on video, which has been viewed millions of times since it was posted Saturday. She said the incident occurred outside her apartment near AT&T Stadium in San Francisco.

"This woman don't want to let a little girl sell some water," Austin says in the 15-second clip, focusing the camera on a woman holding a phone. "She's calling the police on a 8-year-old little girl."

As the woman, identified by HuffPost as Alison Ettel, crouches behind a concrete wall, Austin adds: "You can hide all you want; the whole world's gonna see you, boo."

"And illegally selling water without a permit? Yeah," Ettel says, pointing to her phone.

"On my property," Austin interjects.

"It's not your property," Ettel replies.

>> Watch the video here

Austin and the girl's cousin, Raje Leeshared the footage with the hashtag #PermitPatty, USA Today reported.

"Make this [expletive] go viral like #bbqbecky," Austin captioned the video, referring to the hashtag used after a different woman was recorded calling the police on a black family for using a charcoal grill at an Oakland park. "She's #permitpatty."

>> Read more trending news 

The posts sparked a debate about whether Ettel's actions were racist.

"For all of you saying it's not about race why didn't she stop to harass the white [men] that [were] selling tickets and teeshirts but thought calling the police on a child was okay?" Lee tweeted. "Don't answer. Just ask yourself that."

>> See the tweet here

"I didn't think in San Francisco my biracial child would have to go through something like this," Austin told KNTV.

Ettel told HuffPost that race had nothing to do with it, adding that she didn't really call the police. 

"They were screaming about what they were selling," Ettel said, claiming she had no problem with the girl, only Austin. "It was literally nonstop."

She added: "I completely regret that I handled that so poorly. It was completely stress-related, and I should have never confronted her."

The drama seemed to have a happy ending for Austin's daughter, who received four free tickets to Disneyland from a Twitter user who saw the video, Lee tweeted.

>> See the tweet here

Read more here or here.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Couple has celebrated each wedding anniversary at Burger King for 50 years

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 11:48 PM

File photo. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)(Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

A couple celebrated their golden anniversary, as they have 49 others, at Burger King. 

>> Read more trending news

Lloyd and Sandy Howard’s tradition started innocuously. The couple was running late for a movie in New York on their first wedding anniversary and stopped at the restaurant for something quick to eat -- a couple of flame-broiled Whoppers, according to WPIX.

“And we decided that, every year afterwards, no matter where we were, we were going to go to a Burger King, even if it meant just having a drink or an ice cream, just to say that we went to Burger King,” Sandy Howard told WPIX

The couple, who wed on June 22, 1968, celebrated their 50th anniversary with their children and grandchildren at a Matawan Burger King. 

And their plans for their 51st anniversary? 

“Probably the same thing,” Sandy said. “Go to Burger King.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Thief fails three-point-turn, flees after he can’t get truck out of driveway

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 10:40 PM

A thief failed to steal a truck when he could not complete a three-point turn. (Photo: Screengrab via Bensalem Police/YouTube)
A thief failed to steal a truck when he could not complete a three-point turn. (Photo: Screengrab via Bensalem Police/YouTube)

A thief failed to steal a truck because he could not complete a three-point turn to get around another vehicle in a driveway and then fled the scene, surveillance video shows

>> Read more trending news

Video posted by the Bensalem Police Department shows a man trying to steal the unlocked truck early Wednesday morning. 

The man, who appears to be in his 20s, tries unsuccessfully to reverse, nearly hitting another vehicle parked in the driveway multiple times. Eventually, he gives up and flees the scene.

Trending - Most Read Stories

5 arrested for murder of New York teen who was hacked to death with machete

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 8:19 PM

Lesandro Guzman-Feliz was attacked and brutally murdered Wednesday. (Photo: NYPD)
Lesandro Guzman-Feliz was attacked and brutally murdered Wednesday. (Photo: NYPD)

Police arrested five people Sunday in connection with a brutal machete attack on a teen outside a Bronx bodega earlier in the week. 

>> Read more trending news

Lesandro Guzman-Feliz, 15, was pulled out of the Cruz and Chiky grocery Wednesday by members of the Dominican gang Trinitarios, who beat him, hacked him with a machete and left him to die on the sidewalk outside the store in what officials believe was a case of mistaken identity, according to the New York Post

Gang members wrongly believed Guzman-Feliz was in a revenge sex video posted online that featured a relative of one of the attackers, according to the Post

A leader of the gang later apologized on Facebook for the mistake, according to WPIX

The teen’s mother said her son was a good boy who had never been in a gang. He was a member of the NYPD Explorers Program for Youth and dreamed of one day becoming a detective, Leandra Feliz told the Post

“Since he was 5 years old, he told me, ‘Mommy, I want to be a police,’” she said. 

The identities of the suspects have not yet been released.

GoFundMe account, set up to help the family pay for funeral expenses and other costs has raised more than $125,000 as of Sunday evening.

Trending - Most Read Stories