log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Monday, June 25, 2018 @ 2:36 PM
— The Pentagon announced on Monday that two bases in Texas will be building temporary housing for immigrants illegally crossing the country’s southern border.
Goodfellow Air Force Base and the Army’s Fort Bliss were chosen by the Department of Defense to house immigrants. According to the Pentagon, one base will house unaccompanied children while the other will host families.
Defense Secretary James Mattis told The Associated Press Sunday that the Pentagon is preparing to build temporary housing for migrants at two U.S. military bases. Mattis said that plans for the housing were already in the works, but he would not name which two bases would be hosting temporary camps for immigrants.
The Pentagon said last week that officials at HHS requested housing for children at military installations “for occupancy as early as July through December 31, 2018.” A spokesman for the DOD said the department would make available space on military bases for as many as 20,000 migrant children.
The call for housing comes amid a backlash over the Trump Administration policy of “zero tolerance” for those coming into the country illegally. Under the zero-tolerance policy, any adult “believed to have committed any crime, including illegal entry,” is referred to the Justice Department for prosecution. Any child accompanying an adult entering the country illegally would be sent to a detention center, separated from the parent or guardian who would be sent to jail.
Video footage of separated children along with an audiotape of children crying for their parents sparked outrage over the policy.
Last week, Trump signed an executive order that said that from that point on, migrant families would be housed together, and reiterated the call for military bases to find space for facilities to house families.
Trump’s executive order called for the Department of Defense to “take all legally available measures” to provide the Department of Homeland Security with “any existing facilities available for the housing and care of alien families,” according to The Washington Post.
The Pentagon was also tasked with the construction of facilities “if necessary and consistent with law.”
HHS, the department that takes custody of “unattended” immigrant children, has toured facilities on four military bases to assess whether they would meet their needs for housing children. The bases are Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas, and Dyess Air Force Base, Goodfellow Air Force Base and Fort Bliss in Texas.
Time magazine is reporting that the U.S. Navy is ready to construct detention centers that would house more than 100,000 immigrants.
The centers – said to be tent cities and described as “temporary and austere” – are being considered for air fields in Alabama, Arizona and California that are no longer in regular use by the Navy.
According to the internal draft memo obtained by TIME, the centers will be designed to last between six months and a year. They would be built at Navy Outlying Field Wolf in Orange Beach, Alabama, and nearby Navy Outlying Field Silverhill in Silverhill, Alabama, as well as at Naval Weapons Station Concord, near San Francisco, and Camp Pendleton in Southern California. Marine Corps Air Station Yuma (Arizona), is also being considered, according to the memo.
The memo said that the Navy would spend about $233 million to construct and operate each facility for 25,000 people for a six-month time period.
Here is a look at the two bases:
Goodfellow Air Force Base
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 3:33 AM
WEYMOUTH, Mass. — A nonprofit organization has announced a major donation to help pay off the mortgage on a slain Massachusetts police officer's family home.
Weymouth police Sgt. Michael Chesna, 42, was shot and killed Sunday in the line of duty.
Any money raised exceeding the mortgage will go directly to Chesna's wife and two children.
The foundation, established in memory of a fallen 9/11 firefighter, supports military and first responders who are killed in the line of duty. In addition to his service with the Weymouth Police Department, Chesna was also a military veteran who served in Iraq and Afghanistan.
MUST READ: Absolutely amazing story -- @Tunnel2Towers is providing $100,000 to help pay off the mortgage of fallen @WeymouthPD Sgt. Michael Chesna's family home https://t.co/t72RzRPg86 #Boston25 pic.twitter.com/LMmIOKVk84— Mike Saccone (@mikesacconetv) July 17, 2018
Frank Siller, chairman and CEO of the foundation, will join Weymouth police Chief Richard Grimes at the Weymouth Police Department at 3 p.m. Wednesday to make the official announcement.
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 @ 1:44 AM
— A Florida mother said her son saved her life in the seconds before a crash that claimed his life.
Greg Yutuc, 22, was the only person killed in a three-vehicle crash near Jacksonville's Buckman Bridge on Saturday afternoon.
Stitches lined Gerry Yutuc’s bruised eyelid and his wife, Charina, had a seat belt burn across her chest.
“All I remember is seeing that red car and we are spinning around,” Gerry Yutuc said.
They were headed back from their family vacation and were driving on I-295 with their three kids in their van when state troopers said a 21-year-old driver rear-ended another car, then cut off their van.
“It was too late for me,” Yutuc said.
Their son, Greg, was sitting in the passenger seat and grabbed the steering wheel at the last second.
“So the impact could be on his side, to avoid the impact on mom,” Yutuc said.
Yutuc said the van flipped.
“I looked around and saw four people. My wife, my two daughters and without Greg,” Yutuc said.
Greg was thrown from the vehicle and an officer on scene told them their son didn’t make it.
Florida Highway Patrol said Greg was not wearing a seat belt.
“We didn’t have a chance to hug him and say goodbye,” Yutuc said.
Since Greg was a child, he’s been on several mission trips and had plans of becoming a missionary, his parents said.
“His heart is really sharing the gospel,” Yutuc said.
In his 22 years, Yutuc said his only son affected many lives.
“I know we have a great son, but I didn’t know the extent of his influence,” Yutuc said.
It was unconditional, selfless love they said Greg will be most remembered by.
“He inspired us and we want to be an inspiration,” Yutuc said.
The family said the community support has been overwhelming.
“He inspired us and we want to be an inspiration.” Greg Yutuc’s dad tells me his son always reminded them what was important in life & now that he’s gone he wants his legacy to live on @ActionNewsJax pic.twitter.com/xcUTkVY14U— Danielle Avitable (@DanielleANjax) July 17, 2018
Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 10:48 AM
— Fresh off of admitting their name change to IHOb was a publicity stunt, IHOP is celebrating its 60th birthday with what it does best: pancakes.
The restaurant chain announced last week that it would give away 60-cent short stacks July 17 from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. to celebrate its birthday.
“The IHOP name is synonymous with pancakes, pancakes, pancakes -- a rallying cry that sets our menu and our restaurants apart from every other dining destination,” IHOP Chief Marketing Officer Brad Haley said in a July 10 news release. “To celebrate six decades of pancakin’ and the love our guests have shown us since we first opened our doors back in 1958, we’re treating folks to a 60-cent short stack of our world-famous buttermilk pancakes -- the pancake that started it all -- on Tuesday, July 17.”
As with most offers of this kind, the price and participation varies by location. The offer is only available for dine-in customers and there is a limit of one 60-cent short stack per person.
Age ain’t nothing but a pancake. Come celebrate IHOP’s 60th birthday with a 60¢ short stack today!— IHOP (@IHOP) July 17, 2018
Published: Tuesday, July 17, 2018 @ 11:14 PM
COBB COUNTY, Ga. — An Acworth inmate promised $10,000 and two Atlanta Hawks tickets to anyone who would kill his ex-wife and her current boyfriend. Word got around, including to an FBI informant.
Michael Lawrence Dane McEarchern, 29, was sentenced to 10 years in prison Monday, according to federal court documents.
McEarchern was in Bartow County jail during October on drug charges when he started circulating his the word that he wanted to hire a hitman.
The FBI found out from the confidential informant and they had McEarchern send a $800 down payment to a P.O. box in late November to see if he was serious, according to federal court records. His girlfriend at the time sent the money for him.
McEarchern told the would-be assassin where his ex-wife lived in Smyrna, what the best time of day would be to find her, and the name of the barbershop where the current boyfriend worked.
Federal court documents show he’ll have three years of supervised release after prison.