First lady Melania Trump unveils White House Christmas decorations

Published: Monday, November 27, 2017 @ 3:28 PM

VIDEO: First Lady Reveals White House Holiday Decor

First lady Melania Trump unveiled the White House Christmas decorations in a new video released on Monday. It marks the first holiday season the Trumps will celebrate as the first family.

The video, posted to the first lady’s Facebook page, shows Trump surveying the White House’s glittering decorations, writing Christmas cards, talking with the pastry chefs about holiday cookies and the gingerbread house, and even trying her hand at making a Christmas bow.

>> Read more trending news

The Grand Hall and Cross Foyer are decorated in “The Nutcracker Suite” theme, with the trees featuring crystal ornaments to match.

The East Colonnade leading to the East Garden Room is decorated with towering white branches.

The Blue Room Christmas tree, which is the official indoor White House Christmas tree, is covered in white lights, blue and gold ornaments, pine cones, and yards of blue velvet ribbon.

The decorations are all part of this year’s theme, “Time-Honored Traditions,” which celebrates 200 years of holidays at the White House.

Related: Photos: Melania Trump unveils White House Christmas decorations

“Like many families across the country, holiday traditions are very important to us,” Trump said in a statement to CNN. “I hope when visiting the People’s House this year, visitors will get a sense of being home for the holidays.”

During Michelle Obama’s first holiday season in the White House, she had her trees decorated with “recycled” decorations. The Obama administration sent out over 800 ornaments left over by previous administrations to 60 local community groups and asked the groups to decorate them to reflect their local community. The Obamas’ theme during that season was “Reflect Rejoice Renew.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

San Diego police shooting: 2 officers injured, suspect dead

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 4:37 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 4:37 AM

File photo of police lights. Two police officers reportedly were shot and injured late Saturday in San Diego, California.
fsHH / Pixabay.com
File photo of police lights. Two police officers reportedly were shot and injured late Saturday in San Diego, California.(fsHH / Pixabay.com)

Two police officers reportedly were shot and injured late Saturday in San Diego, California. 

Here is the latest information:

Update 1:43 a.m. PDT June 24: KNSD’s Omari Fleming reports that investigators are unsure whether the suspect died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound or was killed by officers.

KSWB’s Andrew Luria tweeted that “hundreds of rounds may have been fired” in the shootout.

Update 1:07 a.m. PDT June 24: The San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the suspect is dead. According to the newspaper, “a police dog went in and bit the suspect on the leg” after a robot searched the apartment. 

“After getting no response from the man, police determined he was dead shortly before 1 a.m.,” the Union-Tribune reported.

Update 1 a.m. PDT June 24: According to KSWB’s Andrew Luria, one of the wounded San Diego police officers “is currently in surgery with a life-threatening injury” after being shot in the chest. The second officer suffered a gunshot wound to the shoulder but is “expected to be OK,” Luria tweeted.

Update 12:26 a.m. PDT June 24: According to KFMB reporter Steve Price, the shooting suspect “appears to be down” and has “head trauma.”

KSWB’s Andrew Luria reported that the suspect had been “wearing body armor.” Officers sent a robot into the apartment where he had been hiding, police said.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the suspect was “possibly deceased.”

The wounded San Diego police officers’ condition was not yet known, Price tweeted.

Update 12:01 a.m. PDT June 24: According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, police said a gunman shot at officers through a wall at an apartment complex off Rolando Court. A SWAT team was at the scene, where the suspected shooter was still inside the building, police said.

The newspaper reported that officers had taken another man into custody about 11:20 p.m. PDT but “ascertained within moments that he was not the shooter.”

Emergency personnel rescued a firefighter from the building after the two wounded police officers “and at least one firefighter were pulled out of the building on a ladder,” the Union-Tribune reported.

>> Read more trending news 

Please return for updates on this developing story.

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

Toddler dies after 10 hours in hot car while mother allegedly hangs out with friends

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 6:12 PM



Pixabay
(Pixabay)

A California woman is jailed on charges related to the death of her 18-month-old toddler inside a hot car, according to Mendocino County authorities.

>> Read more trending news 

Deputies were called to Howard Memorial Hospital in Willits, California, Wednesday afternoon after the death of a young boy identified as Chergery Teywoh Lew Mays.

The child had been taken to the hospital by his mother, Alexandra Raven Scott, Detective Sgt. Andrew Porter with the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release on Facebook.

Scott, a resident of Humboldt County, went to visit friends in Willits around 3 a.m. Wednesday, leaving the boy inside the car for hours.

“It is believed the child was left unattended in the back seat of the vehicle with the windows rolled up for about 10 hours,” Porter said.

A mug shot of Alexandra Scott, who is accused of leaving her toddler in a hot car for 10 hours while she socialized with friends. The child died from his injuries.(Mendocino County Sheriff's Office)

The temperature was about 80 degrees in Willits when the boy was found around 1 p.m., but officials told KTLA-TV it was more like 130 degrees inside the car. 

Scott is jailed without bail on suspicion of willfully causing or permitting a child to suffer great bodily injury or death.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Sarah Huckabee Sanders kicked out of Red Hen restaurant in Virginia on ‘moral’ grounds

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 12:52 PM

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders confirmed that her family was kicked out of a Virginia restaurant on Friday by the owner, who cited
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders confirmed that her family was kicked out of a Virginia restaurant on Friday by the owner, who cited "moral conviction."(Win McNamee/Getty Images)

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said she and seven members of her family were kicked out of The Red Hen restaurant in Lexington, Virginia on Friday night.

TMZ first reported that the restaurant’s owner kicked out Sanders and her family out of “moral conviction.” 

>> Read more trending news 

A waiter posted on Facebook that Sanders was in the restaurant for “a total of two minutes” before being asked to leave.

 

Sanders confirmed the incident on Twitter.

“Last night I was told by the owner of Red Hen in Lexington, VA to leave because I work for @POTUS and I politely left,” Sanders tweeted Saturday. “Her actions say far more about her than about me. I always do my best to treat people, including those I disagree with, respectfully and will continue to do so.”

 

Sanders’ father, former Gov. Mike Huckabee, tweeted his support, saying it was an act of “bigotry.”

 

The Red Hen’s Facebook and Yelp pages were bombarded with reviews from people from both sides.

While some praised the restaurant, many others said the owner was being “intolerant.”

This comes after Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen bolted from a Washington, D.C. Mexican restaurant after protesters confronted her at her table -- with the blessing of the manager.

Trending - Most Read Stories

German explosion: 25 hurt, 4 seriously, in Wuppertal blast

Published: Sunday, June 24, 2018 @ 6:09 AM

A car and a house are destroyed after an explosion in Wuppertal, Germany, June 24, 2018. (Henning Kaiser/dpa via AP)
Henning Kaiser/AP
A car and a house are destroyed after an explosion in Wuppertal, Germany, June 24, 2018. (Henning Kaiser/dpa via AP)(Henning Kaiser/AP)

At least 25 people were hurt in an explosion in Wuppertal, Germany, police said Sunday.

According to The Associated Press, four victims were hurt "severely" in the blast and ensuing fire late Saturday at a "several-story building." The other victims suffered slight injuries, the AP reported

>> Read more trending news 

"It can currently not be ruled out that there are still other people in the building," police said Sunday, according to Deutsche Welle. "The rescue efforts are ongoing."

Authorities are looking into what caused the blast, the AP reported.

Read more here.

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories