log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, October 20, 2017 @ 6:18 PM
BROCKTON, Mass. — A father is frustrated after he says his 5-year-old daughter was left alone on a busy road several times by her bus driver.
Brockton Public Schools is investigating after the father says a substitute bus driver missed his daughter’s stop.
Mike Smith waits outside of his Brockton, Massachusetts, home every day for his 5-year-old daughter’s bus to arrive.
Recently, he says, the bus hasn’t been reliable.
“They flew right past,” Smith said. “My daughter was behind the bus driver and I could hear her say, ‘This is my bus stop.’”
Smith says a substitute bus driver has missed his kindergartner’s stop three times in the past two weeks, and has driven up the road and dropped her in an unsafe place on his street where the cars zip by at a high speed. There are also no crosswalks there.
“She almost got hit by a car. She tried crossing the street, she looked both ways. One car slammed on their brakes, one didn't, they jumped the curb and that's when my heart dropped,” Smith saud.
Smith said each driver has been different and none of them appear to know the routes. When he confronted a substitute driver Thursday, he said the driver was dismissive.
“He completely blew me off,” he said.
Frustrated with the driver’s response, Smith took his concerns to the school district and the bus company, who are both now investigating.
A spokesperson said the driver has now been taken off the bus route.
“This bus driver should be taken off anything that has to do with kids in general, because the attitude I got from him was completely uncalled for,” Smith said.
But he worries the problem is bigger than just his stop.
“If they can do it three times within two weeks for one child, how often is this happening to kids in the city?” he said.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 11:35 AM
CHARLESTON, S.C. — Katie Arrington, a Republican congressional candidate in South Carolina is in the hospital with serious injuries after she was involved in a deadly wrong-way car crash Friday night.
Arrington was traveling in the passenger seat with a friend, when another driver traveling in the wrong direction hit their car, WSOC reports.
The driver of the other vehicle died at the scene, according to Sheriff's Capt. Roger Antonio. The driver of Arrington’s car, her friend Jacqueline Goff, also sustained serious injuries.
Arrington and Goff were driving to Hilton Head, where Arrington was scheduled to receive an award Saturday morning, her campaign posted on Twitter.
Arrington has suffered a fracture to her back, broken ribs and a partial collapse of a main artery in her leg.
She will have undergo surgery and will require more procedures and weeks of recovery, CNN reports.
Arrington is alert and recovering at the Medical University of South Carolina and her family is by her side.
President Donald Trump expressed his sympathies to Arrington via Twitter.
My thoughts and prayers are with Representative Katie Arrington of South Carolina, including all of those involved in last nights car accident, and their families. https://t.co/rWYt2VBjxc— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 23, 2018
Arrington defeated U.S. Rep. Mark Sanford in his re-election bid last week.
Sanford also expressed his well-wishes to Arrington on Twitter.
Our thoughts and prayers this morning go to Katie Arrington, her family and those involved in last night’s automobile accident. https://t.co/sV4E90CIj8— Mark Sanford (@RepSanfordSC) June 23, 2018
Arrington’s Democratic opponent, Joe Cunningham, announced Saturday morning that he's suspending his campaign out of respect for Arrington's recovery.
We are suspending all campaign activities until further notice. https://t.co/yigZupPoLz— Joe Cunningham (@JoeCunninghamSC) June 23, 2018
And it is from her strong faith, the support of her family, the prayers and support of our community, and the incredible doctors and staff at the hospital that she is certain she will be back to work for our state soon.— Rep. Katie Arrington (@karringtonsc) June 23, 2018
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 11:02 AM
CLAY CO., Fla. — A soldier who disappeared from a National Guard base in Florida has been found dead in a wooded area of Camp Blanding, WHBQ reports.
Specialist Cayln McLemore’s death is now considered an “undetermined death investigation,” officials said.
McLemore’s sister and cousin told WHBQ they think authorities are keeping information from them.
“They smiled in our faces and didn't even tell us he was dead,” his sister, Cura McLemore, said.
McLemore was participating in a land navigation assignment on Wednesday. It was a military training class of the Basic Leader Course at Camp Blanding's 211th Regiment Regional Training Institute.
He was last seen around 11 a.m. and did not return, authorities said.
Canines, mounted patrol and the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, helped Clay County Sheriff's Office search for McLemore.
Some of McLemore's equipment -- water, food, paperwork and a tool to navigate -- was located by search teams.
Cura McLemore told WHBQ that authorities told the family that he had died -- but not how.
“I want my brother back with me,” Cura McLemore said. “That's my best friend. The only friend I have.”
Shannon Mayes, McLemore’s cousin, said something isn’t sitting right with her, after they found out McLemore had a cell phone on him.
“Why he didn’t use that cell phone?” she said.
The family told WHBQ they suspect something is being covered up, because they cannot figure out why he wouldn’t make any calls if he knew he was in danger.
“How can a cell phone go dead?” Mayes said. “You would have made a call when you feel like something is wrong.”
Nothing has indicated anything suspicious about McClure’s disappearance or that he's AWOL, authorities said.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 4:56 PM
GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — At first glance, a Facebook post from the Gwinnett County sheriff’s office in Georgia seems normal.
“Our deputies are looking for 40-year-old Michael Glenn Hovis, who's wanted by police for probation violation,” the sheriff’s office said in the post.
Around the third sentence, things take a turn, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.
“We're certain that his children will appreciate any information you can provide to help us find him since they want to eat and keep a roof over their heads,” officials said.
According to the sheriff’s office, Hovis owes more than $30,000 in child support, too.
After asking those with information about Hovis’ whereabouts to call the sheriff’s office, authorities address him directly.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 12:58 PM
TACOMA, Wash. — A suspect was arrested Wednesday in the 1986 child murder case of Michella Welch.
Gary Charles Hartman, 66, was booked into the Pierce County Jail. He's expected to have a bail hearing Thursday, and KIRO 7 will be there.
Welch was 12 years old when she disappeared after she and her younger sisters visited Tacoma’s Puget Park on March 26, 1986.
Her body was found in a gulch after police conducted a search.
In 2016, using technology called DNA phenotyping, Tacoma police and the Virginia-based company Parabon Nanolabs produced computer-generated composites using evidence found after the murders of Welch and 13-year-old Jennifer Bastian.
Welch was found in Tacoma's Puget Park in March 1986, Bastian five months later in Point Defiance Park. Both had been raped and murdered.
At first, police thought both murders were the work of the same man, until 2013, when a re-examination of evidence proved there were actually two different killers.
Earlier this year, Jennifer Bastian's suspected killer was also arrested.
That suspect was detained out of state and taken to Washington for prosecution. Officials with the Illinois State Police said they helped apprehend the suspect in Bastian's killing, identified as Robert Washburn.
In court documents, Pierce County prosecuting attorney Jared Ausserer said Washburn first became a suspect when he called police in May of 1986 about a composite sketch released of a suspect in the murder of Welch.
Washburn called police after the suspect sketch was released, saying he saw a similar-looking man while jogging in Point Defiance Park.
He told police he jogged in the park as often as twice a day, Ausserer said.
In 1986, a special task force was formed to investigate the murders of Welch and Bastian.