New Jersey company pays for drunk man's $1,600 Uber ride

Published: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 11:20 PM
Updated: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 11:20 PM

Man Passes Out in Uber, Takes $1,600 Ride Home

A New Jersey based meal-delivery company has paid the $1,600-plus UberXL fare for the man who drunkenly rode nearly three hours home from a West Virginia frat party.

>> Read more trending news

New Jersey native Kenny Bachman told KYW-TV that he didn’t quite remember ordering an Uber ride Friday night after a night out drinking with friends in Morgantown, West Virginia.

“We went to a frat party and then went to the bar,” he told the news station. “I was getting drinks all night. I probably spent, like, $200 at the bar after already drinking all day.”

The company, Eat Clean Bro, applauded Bachman's decision to not drink and drive as it picked up the tab. The company also stressed the importance of keeping roads safe for its delivery drivers in New York, New Jersey and the Philadelphia area.

Bachman had started a GoFundMe page to help him pay for his ride. After Eat Clean Bro paid the bill, the donations were re-routed to Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), an organization dedicated to creating safe roads.

How did the pricey ride happen?

Bachman said he blacked out and the last memory he had of the night was being at a bar. Hours later, he woke in the back of an Uber “next to an older dude (who was) telling me I was an hour out from Jersey,” he told KYW-TV.

“I was just like, that’s crazy,” he told the news station. “Why did you agree to take me to New Jersey from West Virginia?”

Bachman told that he accidentally ordered an UberXL -- a more expensive option to the typical UberX car -- and that he stayed in the van after he woke “because what am I, just going to get dropped off on the side of the road?” 

By the time he arrived at his home in Gloucester County, New Jersey, he had racked up a fare of $1,635.93, KYW-TV reported. A majority of that, -- nearly $700 -- came from the distance the Uber driver traveled to take Bachman home, reported. About $116 worth of the fare came from the time spent to make the trip, according to

"Afterwards I had it fully sink in," Bachman told the news site. "Once the ride ended and I saw how much it was when I was like 'Alright, this is insane, that's just crazy.'" and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Oregon man wins lottery jackpot with 'mistake ticket'

Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 1:16 AM

A man in Oregon is much richer after buying a lottery ticket that was printed by mistake.
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
A man in Oregon is much richer after buying a lottery ticket that was printed by mistake.(Justin Sullivan/Getty Images)

A convenience store clerk last week offered an Oregon man a chance to buy two lottery tickets that were printed by mistake. The man bought one and left, then thought better of it and returned to buy the other one.

>> Read more trending news

It was a decision for which he would be richly rewarded.

That second ticket Charles Svitak bought June 16 at a 7-Eleven store earned him a $7.3 million payday in Oregon’s Megabucks game, KDRV reported.

"When I checked the ticket on my computer I couldn't believe it," Svitak told The Oregonian. "The first thing I thought is that I had worked my last graveyard shift."

Svitak, who works in Medford, took the lump sum option, which was for $3.65 million, KDRV reported.

Patrick Johnson, public affairs officer at the Oregon Lottery, told the Oregonian that the tickets were not Quick Picks, where numbers are randomly generated by the computer.

Svitak did not tell his wife about the winnings. He went to Salem to get the check and then bought a truck.

"On the way home I got a new truck and put the oversized check they gave me on the windshield," Svitak told the Oregonian

Svitak showed his wife the check and truck when he returned home.

"She hasn't stopped giggling since," Svitak told KDRV.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Giant spoon erected in front of pharmaceutical company to protest opioid addiction

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:57 PM

What You Need To Know: Opioids

A giant spoon was left in front of a pharmaceutical company in protest by a Connecticut artist.

>> Read more trending news

The 800-pound, 11-foot-long steel spoon symbolizes a much heavier burden for two artists.

"A symbol of the negative emotion I felt of the opioid addiction of my brother, Danny," Westwood native Domenic Esposito said. "For the last 14 years, we have been dealing with it.”

Esposito traveled to Connecticut to work with art gallery owner Fernando Alvarez to make the sculpture, and then move it to the front of Purdue Pharma in Stamford, Connecticut.

“I’ve gotten a lot of tweets and messages about this," Esposito said. "Everyone knows what the missing spoon is who has family members that were affected by this.”

Earlier in June, Attorney General Maura Healey filed a lawsuit against Purdue on behalf of the state.

The lawsuit accuses the maker of oxycontin of illegally promoting the use of opioids and misrepresenting the risks of addiction and death connected to the drug.

It was the first lawsuit that also names the drug maker's executives and directors.

Purdue has denied the allegations and released a statement on the protest.

“We share the protestors’ concern about the opioid crisis, and respect their right to peacefully express themselves," the protest said.

Gallery owner Fernando Alvarez said the crimes are never punished, and changes need to occur.

"No one ever goes to jail for these things and that’s why the epidemic continues to happen," Alvarez said. "We are talking about real lives.”

Alvarez ended up in handcuffs on Friday for a minor charge of obstructing free passage. 

City workers using heavy equipment hauled away the giant spoon, but the two men hope the weight of the message stays.

Drugs are prepared to shoot intravenously by a user addicted to heroin. (Photo by Spencer Platt/Getty Images)(Spencer Platt/Getty Images)
The spoon will become a part of the exhibit at the Alvarez Gallery in Stamford.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Woman accused of embezzling more than $150,000 from a doctor's office

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 11:24 PM

Ciera Garvin (Tulsa County Jail)
Ciera Garvin (Tulsa County Jail)

The Oklahoma Attorney General’s Office is prosecuting a woman for eight counts of embezzlement.

>> Read more trending news

Officials said Ciera Garvin, 31, embezzled $153,000 from the doctor’s office where she worked over a period of seven years.

Garvin turned herself in to the Tulsa County Jail.

Investigators said the doctor noticed on her tax forms that Garvin made too much money and said she discovered Garvin had altered her hours to overpay herself by $8,000 to $10,000.

Investigators said based on a forensic audit, they believe Garvin skimmed all the cash co-payments from patients and kept them rather than depositing them, along with co-payments made via credit and debit cards.

Police said Garvin had been doing it since at least 2011.

Fraud detectives said they believe it’s a growing problem and have arrested at least five office managers from doctors’ offices for embezzlement over the past few years.

A few months ago, the Tulsa Police Department fraud unit teamed up with the Tulsa Attorney General’s Office to have them prosecute some of the repeat offenders and larger cases. TPD said this case involved such a large amount of money that it was the first case in the partnership that the AG’s Office will prosecute.

Garvin has bonded out of jail. Her attorney, Chad Greer, said they have no comment.

Trending - Most Read Stories

12-year-old's invention for detecting plastics in oceans getting national recognition

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 9:43 PM


A 12-year-old girl from Andover, Massachusetts, is getting a big prize and national recognition for her invention to clean up the world's oceans.

>> Read more trending news

Anna Du is one of 10 finalists for the Discovery Education 3M Young Scientist Challenge for her work on an invention that detects microplastics in bodies of water without disturbing plants or animals.

"One day when I was at Boston Harbor, I noticed there was a lot of plastics on the sand," Du said. "I tried picking some up, but there seemed to be so many more, and it just seemed impossible to clean it all up."

Du, a lover of marine animals, decided to take action.

She began work on an underwater device that uses infrared light to detect harmful microplastics in the ocean.

Her invention is now gaining national attention as a finalist in the challenge.

As a finalist, Du will get a chance to work with one of 3M's scientists to take her invention from detecting plastic in her backyard, to detecting it in the world's oceans.

"Science has always been a big part of my life," Du said. "I'm super excited to make something that can actually help the world."

Du wants to go to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology to study marine-related science.

She and the other nine finalists will take part in the final competition in October at the 3M Innovation Center in Saint Paul.

Trending - Most Read Stories