live video


Donna Brazile tells critics of her new book to 'go to hell'

Published: Sunday, November 05, 2017 @ 5:37 PM

Fast Facts Donna Brazile

Former Democratic National Committee chairwoman Donna Brazile said Sunday that critics of her new book could “go to hell” as she faces a backlash for comments about Hillary Clinton and what took place during the 2016 Democratic primary process.

Brazile, speaking on ABC’s “This Week,” responded to members of Clinton’s 2016 campaign who said excerpts from the book released last week painted an inaccurate picture of what went on during the campaign.

"For those telling me to shut up, they told Hillary that a couple months ago. You know what I tell them? Go to hell," Brazile said. "I'm going to tell my story. Why am I supposed to be the only person who is unable to tell my story?"

On Saturday, top members of Clinton’s campaign signed an open letter to Brazile saying in part that they "do not recognize the campaign she portrays.”

In the new book, which is set to be published on Tuesday, Brazile said she considered replacing Clinton as the Democratic nominee after she stumbled and appeared to faint while at a 9/11 memorial service in New York last fall. According to Brazile, she wanted a Democratic ticket of former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Corey Booker, (D-New Jersey).

>>Donna Brazile says she found ‘proof’ that Clinton rigged Democratic race against Sanders

Brazile also slammed Clinton’s campaign for its actions and Debbie Wasserman Schutz, the former head of the DNC, for agreeing to give Clinton’s campaign control over DNC finances and personnel decisions.

Democratic party chairperson Donna Brazile talks with audience members before the debate between Republican vice-presidential nominee Gov. Mike Pence and Democratic vice-presidential nominee Sen. Tim Kaine at Longwood University in Farmville, Va., Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2016. (Joe Raedle/Pool via AP)(Joe Raedle)

Brazile describes an agreement between the Hillary Victory Fund, a joint fundraising organization between the campaign and the DNC, Hillary for America, Clinton’s campaign, and the DNC. In exchange for the paying down of the DNC’s debt, Clinton’s campaign was given control of the “party’s finances, strategy, and all the money raised,” Brazile wrote.

“Obama left the party $24 million in debt—$15 million in bank debt and more than $8 million owed to vendors after the 2012 campaign and had been paying that off very slowly. Obama’s campaign was not scheduled to pay it off until 2016. Hillary for America ... and the Hillary Victory Fund ... had taken care of 80 percent of the remaining debt in 2016, about $10 million, and had placed the party on an allowance.”

Hacks: The Inside Story of the Break-ins and Breakdowns that Put Donald Trump in the White House” will be published Tuesday by Hachette Books.
For the full interview, see below:

Trending - Most Read Stories

Toronto van attack: 9 dead, injuries reported

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 5:21 PM

Emergency services close Yonge Street in Toronto after a van mounted a sidewalk crashing into a crowd  of pedestrians on Monday, April 23, 2018. The van apparently jumped a curb Monday in the intersection in Toronto and struck the pedestrians and fled the scene before it was found and the driver was taken into custody, Canadian police said. (Aaron Vincent Elkaim/The Canadian Press via AP)
Aaron Vincent Elkaim/AP
Emergency services close Yonge Street in Toronto after a van mounted a sidewalk crashing into a crowd of pedestrians on Monday, April 23, 2018. The van apparently jumped a curb Monday in the intersection in Toronto and struck the pedestrians and fled the scene before it was found and the driver was taken into custody, Canadian police said. (Aaron Vincent Elkaim/The Canadian Press via AP)(Aaron Vincent Elkaim/AP)

A van apparently jumped onto a sidewalk Monday at a busy intersection in Toronto and struck down pedestrians before the vehicle was found and the driver taken into custody, Canadian police said.

>> Read more trending news

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories

HURRICANE HARVEY: Bait shop owner’s insurance payout thwarted by a typo

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 9:49 AM

Mary Ann Heiman purchased windstorm insurance for her property along the causeway between Aransas Pass and Port Aransas, believing her business was covered when Hurricane Harvey destroyed the property. However, later, when she placed a claim with the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA), she was denied citing an inverted address number. Heiman stands on the concrete platform where the business once stood, on Thursday April 20, 2018, in Port Aransas, TX.
AMANDA VOISARD / AMERICAN-STATESMAN
Mary Ann Heiman purchased windstorm insurance for her property along the causeway between Aransas Pass and Port Aransas, believing her business was covered when Hurricane Harvey destroyed the property. However, later, when she placed a claim with the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association (TWIA), she was denied citing an inverted address number. Heiman stands on the concrete platform where the business once stood, on Thursday April 20, 2018, in Port Aransas, TX.(AMANDA VOISARD / AMERICAN-STATESMAN)

Mary Ann Heiman opened her bait shop on the the causeway that crosses Redfish Bay to Port Aransas in 2011. From the outside, 1950 Hwy 361 was nothing fancy.

“The building was just an old metal building that had sat here since the 1980s,” she said. “It was basically held together with nails and glue and love and duct tape.” The real value of Offshore Adventures was the equipment inside, the tanks and freezers Heiman needed to hold the crabs, shrimp, mud minnows and mullet that anglers bought in their pursuit of the Texas coast’s rich lode of redfish, trout and drum.

A resident of the area on and off since her 1950s childhood there, Heiman knew the wild weather that occasionally swept in from the Gulf and the havoc it could leave behind. Last July she purchased a policy from the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association to cover $60,000-worth of business personal property inside 1590 Hwy. 361 from high wind damage. It cost $679.

>> Read more trending news 

Heiman’s timing couldn’t have been better. Hurricane Harvey barreled into Port Aransas a month later, on the evening of August 25, packing 130 mph winds and driving rain.

When Heiman was allowed back into the area a few days later, her bait shop had disappeared, the splintered debris of her livelihood hurled inland by the Category 4 winds. A group of wooden pylons roughly representing the outline of the shop poked out of the sand like a mouthful of broken teeth.

PHOTOS: Port Aransas recovery, seven months later

It was only after the adjuster for the windstorm insurance association went out to the site and agreed the record winds had destroyed her bait shop that it was discovered Heiman’s insurance agent had accidentally transposed two of the numbers in Offshore Adventures’ street address. In letters and phone calls, he asked TWIA to correct the typo so Heiman could collect her due and rebuild the business.

The association refused. Heiman’s policy for 1590 Hwy 361 did not cover 1950 Hwy 361, representatives explained. Her claim for the money she needed to restart her bait shop was stamped “denied.”

For more on Heiman’s dilemma, and how the Texas Windstorm Insurance Association has served consumers since Hurricane Harvey, visit MyStatesman.com

Related video:

Who Pays for Cleanup if Your Neighbor’s Tree Falls in Your Yard?

Trending - Most Read Stories

Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, gives birth to baby boy

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 1:16 PM
Updated: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 1:16 PM

Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, Gives Birth to Royal Baby

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, formerly known as Kate Middleton, has given birth to a baby boy, Kensington Palace tweeted Monday

Third Child Coming for Prince William, Kate Middleton

>> MORE ROYAL FAMILY COVERAGE: Photos: Royal baby watch: Kate Middleton, Duchess of Cambridge, in labor | Hospital begins preparations for Will, Kate and new baby | Photos: William, Kate and their growing family | Photos: Prince William through the years | Photos: Kate Middleton through the years | Photos: Queen Elizabeth II celebrates 92nd birthday | Royal Wedding: Everything to know before Prince Harry marries Meghan Markle | More trending news 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Florida judge does not return to courtroom after berating frail inmate who died 3 days later

Published: Monday, April 23, 2018 @ 3:15 PM

Florida Judge Berates Frail Inmate Who Dies Three Days Later, Does Not Return To Courtroom

A Florida judge who berated a frail inmate who died three days later will not return to the bench, court officials said. 

>> Read more trending news

Circuit Court Judge Merrilee Ehrlich will not return to the bench after her treatment of Sandra Twiggs, 59, who appeared before her last week on a misdemeanor domestic violence charge, Broward Chief Administrative Judge Jack Tuter said Saturday, according to WFOR.

“In light of recent events we have decided Judge Ehrlich will be told not to return to the courthouse as her retirement is effective June 30,” Tuter said, according to The Associated Press. “I will be working this weekend to find a substitute to cover Judge Ehrlich’s (family court) division.”

During the first appearance, Twiggs, who was in a wheelchair, explained to Ehrlich that she suffered from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and needed breathing treatments, according to WFOR

First appearance hearings are streamed online and recorded.

“Ma’am, don’t even say yes. Just listen,” Ehrlich said. “I’m not here to talk about your breathing treatments.”

Ehrlich released Twiggs without bond. Twiggs died Wednesday in her sleep.

“When she came home from being in there she was never the same,” Carolyn Porter, Twiggs’ goddaughter, told WFOR.

Ehrlich who was first elected in 2008 planned to retire June 30. She filed her retirement paperwork two weeks prior to this incident. 

Tuter said he would be calling Twiggs’ family to apologize. 

“I am saddened and disappointed in the way Judge Ehrlich behaved on the video. Her behavior cannot be condoned,” he said.

Trending - Most Read Stories