Devin Patrick Kelley: What we know about Sutherland Springs Baptist Church shooter

Published: Monday, November 06, 2017 @ 5:26 PM

Who is Devin Patrick Kelley, the Sutherland Springs Baptist Church Shooter

A man opened fire on a church in Sutherland Springs, Texas, Sunday, killing more than 20 people, including the pastor’s 14-year-old daughter, and wounding at least 10 others.

The Texas Department of Public Safety tweeted Monday that the shooter has officially been identified as Devin Patrick Kelley.

>> Read more trending news

According to reports, around 50 people were worshiping when the gunman first shot people outside of the church, then entered the building and continued shooting.

Law enforcement officials confirmed to The Associated Press Sunday that 26 people were killed in the shooting.

According to authorities and other media outlets, here is what is known about Kelley:

  • He was a white male, 26 years old. He was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in a crashed car after a brief chase following the shooting. Authorities said he used his cellphone to tell his father he had been shot and didn’t think he would survive. He was dressed all in black and was believed to be the only shooter.
  • Kelley fired first outside the church, then went into the church and continued to fire; a resident near the church  began firing his own weapon at Kelley; the resident and another man then chased Kelley until he crashed his car. 
  • Several media sources have said the man who engaged Kelley as he was shooting is Stephen Willeford, though law enforcement officials have not yet confirmed it was Willeford who shot at Kelley. Johnny Langendorff was the other man who chased Kelley.
  • Kelley had three gunshot wounds: One self-inflicted to the head, one in the torso and one in the leg.
  • Kelley lived northeast of San Antonio in New Braunfels, Texas, about 35 miles from Sutherland Springs.
  • Kelley’s Facebook cover photo appeared to show a Ruger 8515 rifle equipped with accuracy-improving aftermarket products, according to The New York Times
  • Facebook friends said Kelley had become “vocally anti-Christian,” according to The New York Times. “He was always talking about how people who believe in God were stupid and trying to preach his atheism,” one of his Facebook friends, Nina Rosa Nava, said in a post. She unfriended him because of the posts. Kelley’s Facebook account has been deleted.
  • He purchased a Ruger AR-556 rifle in April 2016 from an Academy Sports and Outdoors store in San Antonio.
  • Kelley served in the U.S. Air Force at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico in “cargo, demand and supply and distribution.”
  • He was court-martialed in 2012 for assault on his spouse and her child, according to the Air Force. “He assaulted his stepson severely enough that he fractured his skull, and he also assaulted his wife,” Don Christensen, a retired colonel who was the chief prosecutor for the Air Force, told The New York Times. “He pled to intentionally doing it, served a year of confinement, then received a bad conduct discharge.” 
  • According to The AP, citing federal officials, the Air Force did not submit Kelley’s criminal history despite being required to do so by Pentagon rules. “Under Pentagon rules, information about convictions of military personnel for crimes like assault should be submitted to the FBI’s Criminal Justice Investigation Services Division,” The AP reported. Because it was not submitted to the federal database, it did not appear on background checks that are conducted on potential gun buyers, according to authorities.
  • He was married twice and had become estranged from his second wife, whom he married in April 2014. According to The Times, the second wife sometimes attended First Baptist Church. Wilson County Sheriff Joe Tackitt Jr. told The AP Kelley’s in-laws attended the church “from time to time.” They were not in attendance on Sunday when the shootings took place.
  • According to court records, Kelley was charged with a misdemeanor of cruelty to animals in August 2014. A neighbor, only identified as Susan by the Times, told the publication a man similar in age and appearance to Kelly lived next to her in a Colorado Springs RV park, the city of which has several Air Force bases. Susan said police were called to the home once because the man struck a pit bull puppy in the head. According to the woman, she never got the neighbor’s name, but said the dog was kept tied up outside the RV all day. The cruelty to animals case was dismissed and Susan said her neighbor moved a few weeks later.

According to the San Antonio Express-News, law enforcement agents are searching Kelley’s home for explosives.

Authorities say 23 people were killed inside the church; two were shot and killed  outside the church and another person died at the hospital. The ages of the victims range from 18 months to 72 years old.

The attack came on the anniversary of the mass shooting that took 13 lives at Fort Hood, Texas. On Nov. 5, 2009, U.S. Army Maj. Nidal Hasan shot at least 43 people in the deadliest mass shooting on an American military base. Fort Hood is near Killeen, Texas, which is a little more than 150 miles from Sutherland Springs. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Antidepressants may be linked to  obesity, study says

Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 9:09 AM

New research has linked antidepressant use to obesity.
Tina Stallard/Getty Images
New research has linked antidepressant use to obesity.(Tina Stallard/Getty Images)

A poor diet and lack of exercise can contribute to obesity. However, antidepressants may also play a role, according to a new report.

>> Read more trending news 

Researchers from health institutions in Europe recently conducted a study, published in the BMJ journal, to determine the link between antidepressants and weight gain. 

To do so, they analyzed 295,000 people from the UK Clinical Practice Research Datalink, a large collection of electronic health records. They examined how often the individuals, who were of all sizes, took antidepressants as well as their weight gain over time. They also considered factors, including age, chronic disease diagnoses, smoking status and taking other drugs.

>> Related: Cough syrup and antidepressant caused scary interaction 

After analyzing the results, they found that those were prescribed antidepressants during the first year of the study were 21 percent more likely to have gained weight. These subjects gained at least 5 percent of their starting body weight over a 10-year period, compared to those were not on the drugs. 

“Patients who were normal weight were more likely to transition to overweight, and overweight patients were more likely to transition to obesity if they were treated with antidepressants,” co-author Rafael Gafoor told TIME.

>> Related: Here's why weight gain causes loss of taste buds, study says 

Furthermore, they discovered that some medications were more strongly associated with weight gain than others.

People who took mirtazapine were 50 percent more likely to gain weight, and those who took citalopram had a 26 percent higher risk of weight gain.

The researchers did note some limitations. They said the medical regimens of some patients may have influenced their diets, and that depressive symptoms, such as increased appetite and decreased motivation to exercise, may have contributed to weight gain. 

Despite the findings, the researchers said antidepressants are still useful and patients should be aware of the potential risks. 

>> Related: Weight loss and marriage: Study shows good marriage can keep you thin

“A variety of factors need to be taken into account when prescribing any given antidepressant,” Gafoor said. “The best advice is to have an open, informed conversation with your prescriber if weight gain (or any other side effect) is bothersome.”

Trending - Most Read Stories

Friend of serial pedophile's victims shocked he was set to be released

Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 3:33 AM

Wayne Chapman was convicted of molesting as many as 100 boys in the 1970s. Now he's due for release from prison after being deemed no longer sexually dangerous. (Photo: Massachusetts Department of Corrections)
Wayne Chapman was convicted of molesting as many as 100 boys in the 1970s. Now he's due for release from prison after being deemed no longer sexually dangerous. (Photo: Massachusetts Department of Corrections)

Serial pedophile Wayne Chapman's release from prison was put on hold this week after an emergency petition pushed courts to keep him in jail.

>> Read more trending news

Melanie Perkins, a friend of some of Chapman's victims, says she was shocked to hear he was supposed to be released this week.

"Wayne Chapman is a very dangerous man," Perkins said. "He’s also a very sick man."

Perkins says a few of her friends were sexually abused by Chapman, and she believes the disappearance of her childhood friend Andy Puglisi is also connected to Chapman.

"While there’s considerable circumstantial evidence against Wayne Chapman in the disappearance of Andy Puglisi, there’s, in fact, no body," Perkins said. "Andy’s remains were never found."

Chapman was convicted of raping young boys in 1977, and spent four decades in prison.

Two qualified examiners determined Chapman is no longer sexually dangerous, and he was set to be released.

The Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts agreed to take another look at the case after attorney Wendy Murphy filed an emergency petition to appeal Chapman's release.

"Obviously we are very pleased," Murphy said. "The victims are relieved to put it mildly, and they’re also optimistic."

Those against Chapman's release are optimistic now that the Judicial Court will have a say in the decision, and Perkins is hoping that the convicted child rapist is never let out.

"If and when Wayne Chapman does get out and he does re-offend, this has all been recorded," Perkins said. "So that everybody knows what the warnings were ahead of time, and this is all evidence in terms of unfortunately whatever child might be next in his case."

Chapman will remain in prison until the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts decides whether he's no longer sexually dangerous.

The decision could come next week, and Chapman's attorney, the Department of Corrections, the Attorney General, and the District Attorney of Essex County need to file pleadings for the appeal by Wednesday at 5 p.m. After that, the justice will make a decision on the release.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Utah man jailed in Venezuela freed Saturday

Published: Saturday, May 26, 2018 @ 10:08 AM
Updated: Saturday, May 26, 2018 @ 2:01 PM

In this July 13, 2016 file photo, Laurie Holt holds a photograph of her son Josh Holt at her home, in Riverton, Utah.  Josh Holt  has been released from a jail in Venezuela after spending nearly two years behind bars on weapons charges.  
Rick Bowmer, AP
In this July 13, 2016 file photo, Laurie Holt holds a photograph of her son Josh Holt at her home, in Riverton, Utah. Josh Holt has been released from a jail in Venezuela after spending nearly two years behind bars on weapons charges.  (Rick Bowmer, AP)

Update 9:25 p.m. EDT: President Donald Trump on Saturday evening welcomed Joshua Holt who had been held captive for two years in a Venezuelan jail, back to the United States.

Holt and his wife arrived at Washington Dulles International Airport after being released by Venezuelan officials following high level talks between President Nicolas Maduro and U.S. Sen. Bob Corker.

Holt said he was “overwhelmed with gratitude.” 

Thamara Caleno, Holt’s wife, told The Associated Press that until they were airborne, they worried their return might fall through. 

In this image provided by the Holt family, Joshua Holt, his wife Thamara and her daughter Marian Leal, board a plane at the airport in Caracas, Venezuela, Saturday, May 26, 2018. Jailed in Venezuela on weapons charges nearly two years ago, Holt was released Saturday after a U.S. senator pressed for his freedom in a surprise meeting with President Nicolas Maduro. Holt and his wife, who also jailed, were reunited with her daughter from a previous relationship at Caracas airport where the three boarded a chartered flight to Washington. (Holt family photo via AP)(Uncredited/AP)

Update 2:01 p.m. EDT: CNN reports that President Donald Trump will make a live address to the nation at 7 p.m. EST after he meets with Joshua Holt at the White House. 

Update 10:43 a.m. EDT: Joshua Holt’s family has released a statement following the President’s announcement regarding his release from Caracas, Venezuela, calling it a “miracle.”

The Holt family stated:

“We thank you for your collaboration during this time of anguish,” the Associated Press reports. “We ask that you allow us to meet with our son and his wife before giving any interviews or statements. We are grateful to all who participated in this miracle.”

President Trump tweeted he is looking forward to meeting the family at the White House on Saturday night.

 

Original story: Joshua Holt, an American from Utah jailed in Venezuela for over two years without trial, is expected to be released and return to the United States Saturday night. 

>> Read more trending news 

President Donald Trump tweeted that Holt was a “hostage” in the socialist country.

Holt is expected to arrive in Washington D.C., around 7 p.m. on Saturday night and will be reunited with his family at the White House.

 

Holt is a Mormon missionary from Utah who was jailed in 2016 after traveling to Venezuela to marry a woman he met online, according to The New York Times

He was accused of stockpiling weapons and arrested.

Holt has been held in a Caracas jail since 2016. 

Senator Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) posted a statement on Twitter, saying Holt’s release is the result of a two-year effort working with the Trump and Obama administrations and Nicolas Maduro, the president of Venezuela. 

Hatch says Holt's wife, Thamy Holt, had also been released but it is unclear if she will travel with her husband back to the United States.

 
This is a developing story, check back for updates. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Subtropical Storm Alberto expected to strengthen, tropical storm warning issued for Gulf Coast area

Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 7:10 AM
Updated: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 7:10 AM

What is a Storm Surge

Subtropical Storm Alberto continues to strengthen as a tropical storm watch has been issued for parts of Florida, Alabama and Mississippi drenching Memorial Day weekend plans for much of the Gulf Coast. 

>> Read more trending news

A tropical storm warning has been issued for parts of the Florida Gulf Coast including from Bonita Beach to the Anclote River as well as north near the Aucilla River to the Mississippi/Alabama border, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

A tropical storm warning means tropical storm conditions are expected somewhere within the warning area.

Heavy rainfall is expected as the storm, with sustained winds of 40 mph, continues to move at 13 mph through the Dry Tortugas. 

Five day forecast map. (Photo: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration)

A storm surge watch has also been issued for parts of Florida and the Mississippi/Alabama border, officials said

The latest forecast ends the tropical storm and storm surge watch for parts of Louisiana. 

Trending - Most Read Stories