ICYMI:


Classmate of Nikolas Cruz says ‘No one has ever been a friend to him’

Published: Friday, February 16, 2018 @ 7:09 PM

Who Is Nicolas De Jesus Cruz, Alleged Gunman In Florida School Shooting?

A friend of the suspected Parkland high school shooter said Nikolas Cruz's demeanor changed after his father's death in 2005, but he had no one to turn to for help.

>> Read more trending news 

“We couldn't help him at all. No one had ever been a friend to him,” Ethan Trieu said. “I've known him since sixth grade, I want to start out by saying I'm not rationalizing or justifying what he did. It was completely wrong and horrible and disgusting.”

A former classmate of confessed school shooter Nikolas Cruz, Ethan Trieu, said after Cruz’s father died in 2005 no one could help him. He started hanging out with the wrong kind of people and acting up in class, Trieu said. Cruz was also bulllied in school, Trieu said.

Trieu said he had no idea that Cruz could commit such a horrific act and kill 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School

>> Related: Photos: Remembering Parkland Florida school shooting victims

“From when I've known him, he was one of the nicest people I've known in my entire life,” Trieu said.

But after Cruz’s father's death, something changed.

“Eventually after a couple of months, he started talking again, but he couldn't fit back in correctly, and he met the wrong people. They encouraged him and motivated him to do all this wrong stuff, like throw pencils at the teacher and stuff,” Trieu said.

Trieu said as years passed, Cruz became more of an outcast, was bullied, started speaking of violence to the point that in just January, the FBI missed the opportunity to follow up on a warning about Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, disturbing social media posts and the potential that he could conduct a school shooting.

>> Related: FBI didn't investigate tip about Nikolas Cruz before deadly school shooting: Live updates

Trieu said the last time he saw Cruz was moments after the shooting as students evacuated.

“I remember noticing him walking past us and I remember him blending in wearing a t-shirt that's from the school. He blended in very well and apparently some people greeted him and he greeted back,” Trieu said. 

>> Related: 'You killed my kid!': Father of sh

Trending - Most Read Stories

17-year-old shot, killed by police in Pennsylvania

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 12:07 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 12:07 PM

A 17-year-old was shot and killed by police in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday night after he allegedly ran away from a traffic stop on foot.
WPXI.com
A 17-year-old was shot and killed by police in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday night after he allegedly ran away from a traffic stop on foot.(WPXI.com)

A 17-year-old was shot and killed by police in East Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on Tuesday night after he allegedly ran away from a traffic stop on foot, authorities said.

>> Read more trending news 

Police have not officially identified the teenager, but community sources told WPXI he is Antwon Rose. He attended Woodland Hills High School last year.

>> Visit WPXI.com for the latest on this developing story

According to the Allegheny County Police Department, Rose got out of a vehicle that matched the description of a vehicle seen near a shooting that occurred shortly before 8:30 a.m. on Kirkpatrick Avenue in North Braddock.

The vehicle, which police said had damage from bullets to the back window, was stopped near Grandview Avenue and Howard Street.

An officer from the East Pittsburgh Police Department was handcuffing the driver when two males ran from the car, police said. One of those males was Rose, according to officials.

Rose was taken to McKeesport Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The Allegheny County Police Department is asking the other person who ran away from the vehicle to turn himself in "so that he can give a comprehensive description of what occurred."

The victim in the North Braddock shooting, a 22-year-old man, was treated for his injuries and released from an area trauma center.

The Allegheny County Police Homicide Unit is investigating both incidents. 

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man with gun tattoo on forehead charged with illegal gun possession

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 12:10 PM

Michael Vines
Greenville Police Department
Michael Vines(Greenville Police Department)

Michael Vines has a gun tattooed on his forehead, but that’s not the weapon that put him behind bars in South Carolina.

Police in Greenville reported Tuesday that Vines was involved in a recent car crash, after which city firefighters said they saw him toss a weapon into the grass nearby. The firefighters reported it to police officers, who recovered the gun, described as a fully loaded Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver. 

Vines, whose mugshot shows a tattoo of a handgun in the middle of his forehead, is federally prohibited from having a gun, police officials said. He was charged with unlawful carrying of a firearm, as well as driving under a suspended license and speeding. 

“The real weapon was placed in property and evidence,” police officials said on the department’s Facebook page

>> Read more trending news

The department’s social media followers couldn’t resist a few jokes at Vines’ expense. One man asked if someone “held a gun to his head” to make him get the tattoo. 

Another man offered this hypothetical exchange:

“COP: ‘Sir, do you have any guns on you?’ 
THIS GUY: ‘No.’ 
COP: ‘Are you sure?’
THIS GUY: ‘Absolutely. No way.’ 
COP: ‘Are you suuuuuuuurrrrreeeee?’ (Taps him on the forehead.)”

“Remorse written all over his forehead,” a commenter said. “No, wait. Nope, that’s a gun. My bad.”

Police officials did not say why Vines is prohibited from possessing a gun. 

Trending - Most Read Stories

Trump says he'll 'be signing something' to end migrant family separations

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 12:22 PM
Updated: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 12:22 PM

'Zero Tolerance' Immigration Policy: Why Are Children Being Separated From Their Families

President Donald Trump told reporters Wednesday that he will “be signing something in a little while” to address family separations at the U.S.-Mexico border.

>> Read more trending news

“We want to keep families together, it’s very important,” Trump said. "I’ll be doing something that’s somewhat preemptive and ultimately will be matched by legislation I’m sure.” 

It was not immediately clear what the president planned to sign. The Associated Press reported earlier Wednesday that Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen was drafting an executive action for Trump that would allow the Department of Homeland Security to keep migrant families together at the border.

Nielsen does not believe Congress will act to resolve the issue and keep children with their families, the AP reported, citing two unidentified sources familiar with the matter. 

Trump has repeatedly called on lawmakers to change laws that he says mandates the family separations. There is no law that requires children be separated from parents at the border.

The Trump administration in April directed prosecutors to pursue cases against all people suspected of crossing the border illegally as part of a “zero tolerance” immigration enforcement policy. Parents have been separated from their children as they face prosecution.

Nearly 2,000 children were separated from their families over a six-week period in April and May, according to the Department of Homeland Security.

Check back for updates to this developing story.

Trending - Most Read Stories

US Navy drops live bombs in Florida national forest

Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2018 @ 8:29 AM

US Navy Drops Bombs In Florida Forest

Residents in southern Marion, northern Lake or west Volusia counties should not be alarmed if they hear loud booms near their neighborhoods.

The US Navy began bomb training exercises this week at the Pine Castle Range Complex in the Ocala National Forest, officials said in a news release.

F-18 jets fly from Naval Air Station in Jacksonville and conduct the training.

Read: Navy Destroyer named after Winter Park veteran christened

Residents nearby might hear the training or feel the vibrations.

The exercises began Monday and continue Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. and Thursday 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. to 6:45 p.m., officials said.

>> Read more trending news 

Officials said wildlife might be temporarily displaced and that drivers should use caution when driving through the Ocala National Forest and surrounding areas.

The telephone number for noise complaints is 1-800-874-5059. 

Trending - Most Read Stories