Alabama woman says Roy Moore sexually assaulted her when she was 16

Published: Monday, November 13, 2017 @ 11:12 AM

Roy Moore Accuser Details Alleged Sexual Assault When She Was 16

See live updates from the Press Conference below.

A fifth woman has accused U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore, of Alabama, of sexually assaulting her. The woman said the assault took place some 40 years ago when she was 16 and Moore was in his early 30s.
Beverly Young Nelson in a press conference Monday said Moore groped her and tried to force her head toward his crotch after he offered to drive the teen home from her after-school job at a restaurant in Gadsden, Alabama, in 1977.
Nelson, at times crying, described the encounter that allegedly took place behind the restaurant, between the dumpster and the back of the building, after Moore had offered the 16-year-old the ride.
 

Attorney Gloria Allred (R) and Beverly Young Nelson hold up a drawing of Nelson when she was younger during a press conference on November 13, 2017, in New York, alledging that Roy Moore sexually assaulted Nelson when she was a minor in Alabama without her consent.The US Senate's top Republican on Monday urged scandal-hit conservative Roy Moore to end his Senate campaign, saying he believes the women who have accused the Christian evangelical candidate of sexual misconduct. / AFP PHOTO / EDUARDO MUNOZ ALVAREZ (Photo credit should read EDUARDO MUNOZ ALVAREZ/AFP/Getty Images)(AFP Contributor/AFP/Getty Images)

Nelson said during the attack she pleaded with Moore to stop, but he would not. She said Moore grabbed her, locked the door as she tried to get out of his two-door car, and then tried to pull her shirt off.
"Instead of stopping, he began squeezing my neck, attempting to force my head onto his crotch. I continued to struggle," Nelson said. "I thought that he was going to rape me."
 

“At some point, he gave up. He then looked at me and said, ‘You are a child. I am the district attorney of Etowah County. ‘If you tell anyone about this, no one will believe you.'
“He finally allowed me to open the car door and I either fell out or he pushed me out. I was on the ground as he pulled out of the parking area behind the restaurant. The passenger door was open as he burned rubber pulling away, leaving me laying there on the cold concrete in the dark.”
Nelson said she did not tell anyone, especially her boyfriend, who was supposed to pick her up from work that night. She said that, years later, she told her sister, her future husband and her mother years later, but has never told anyone else.
 

According to Nelson, Moore was a regular at the restaurant in which she worked, coming in “every night” and sitting in the same seat. Nelson said Moore would compliment her and at least once tugged on her hair as she passed by him.
Nelson said Moore had signed her yearbook before the alleged attack occurred. Nelson said Moore signed the book: “To a sweeter more beautiful girl I could not say Merry Christmas. Christmas 1977. Love, Roy Moore, D.A. 12-22-77 Olde Hickory House.”
Nelson read her statement after her attorney, Gloria Allred, first read a statement that called for a Senate hearing into the allegations against Moore.
Allred said Nelson would voluntarily testify at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing and that Moore should be subpoenaed to be there.
If a hearing is not held within two weeks, Allred said, Nelson would speak in a public setting about the alleged attack.
In a story in The Washington Post last week, a woman came forward to accuse Moore, the former chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, of inappropriate sexual conduct.
The newspaper found three other women who said that Moore had approached them around the same time. The women were between the ages of 16 and 18 at the time. Moore was in his 30s. 
The most serious allegations from the Post report involve Moore driving then 14-year-old Leigh Corfman to his house in the woods, and touching her over her bra and panties in 1979. 
Moore has denied the accusations.
Moore is on the ballot in December, facing Democrat Doug Jones for the Senate seat vacated when Jeff Sessions became U.S. attorney general.
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said on Monday that Moore “should step aside” in light of the allegations.
McConnell spoke to reporters Monday after visiting a plant in Kentucky and said he believes the women who were quoted in The Post story. McConnell said Republicans are looking at a write-in option in Alabama.
Attorney General Jeff Sessions told Fox News that he is not interested in being a write-in candidate for his former Senate seat. Several Republican senators have urged Moore to drop out of the race,-- John McCain, Susan Collins, Bob Corker and Lindsey Graham among them.

Below are live updates from Monday’s press conference. 

Live updates:

 

 

Trending - Most Read Stories

E. coli outbreak: CDC warns to ‘avoid all types of romaine lettuce’

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 5:42 PM

E. Coli Outbreak: 'Avoid All Types Of Lettuce' CDC Warns

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has expanded its warning to include all types of romaine lettuce. The warning now includes whole heads and hearts of romaine lettuce, in addition to chopped romaine and salads and salad mixes containing romaine.

The CDC also asks consumers to “not buy or eat romaine lettuce at a grocery store or restaurant unless you can confirm it is not from the Yuma, Arizona, growing region.”

Additionally, the CDC suggests that consumers throw away any romaine lettuce in the home, even if some of it was eaten and no one has gotten sick.

>> Read more trending news 

At least 31 people have been hospitalized, including three who developed a type of kidney failure, according to the CDC.

The affected states include

  • Alaska
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Connecticut
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Louisiana
  • Michigan
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • Ohio
  • Pennsylvania
  • Virginia
  • Washington

No deaths related to the outbreak have been reported.

The CDC has not yet identified the grower or a common brand, and is urging people not to eat chopped lettuce from the Yuma area.

Symptoms of an E. coli infection vary, but often include severe stomach cramps and diarrhea, which is often bloody. Most people get better in five to seven days. Infections can be mild, but can also be severe and even life-threatening.

If you think you have E. coli, the CDC says to talk to your health care provider or public health department and write down what you ate in the week before you got sick.

People started reporting illnesses that are part of the outbreak between March 22 and March 31.

DNA fingerprinting is being used to identify illnesses that are part of the same outbreak. Some people might not be included in the CDC’s case count if officials weren’t able to get bacteria strains needed for DNA fingerprinting to link them to the outbreak.

To reduce your risk of an E. coli infection, you can:

  • Wash your hands. Wash hands after using the restroom or changing diapers, before and after preparing or eating food and after contact with animals.
  • Cook meats thoroughly to kill harmful germs.
  • Thoroughly wash hands, counters, cutting boards and utensils after they touch raw meat.
  • Wash fruits and vegetables before eating.
  • Avoid raw milk, other unpasteurized dairy products and unpasteurized juices.
  • Don’t prepare food or drink for others when you are sick.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Convicted murderer leaves courthouse before verdict is read

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 11:49 PM

Verlaine Laguerre (Photo: Fulton County District Attorney’s Office)
Verlaine Laguerre (Photo: Fulton County District Attorney’s Office)

A man convicted of murder Friday left a courthouse in Atlanta, before the verdict could be read.

Verlaine Laguerre, 26, was found guilty in the killing of Matthew Hardeman, who was 19 at the time of his death.

>> Read more trending news

After a long legal battle, Laguerre and Prentice Baker were convicted of Hardeman’s murder Friday and sentenced to life in prison, plus five years. But Laguerre didn't show up to hear the verdict.

“I was just fearful. Just fearful. I just said, ‘Lord have mercy,’” Gloria Hardeman said.

She said that she still has faith that the system will bring complete justice for her and her family. 

“I hope the system continues to work to capture him, that he won’t do no harm to himself or nobody else,” Hardeman said.

The Fulton County District Attorney’s Office said Laguerre's whereabouts are unknown at this time and he is considered a fugitive. 

After so many years of waiting, Hardeman said she will have to wait a little longer to see the man who killed her son behind bars where he belongs. 

“It’s been a long time. Praying and crying. Praying and crying, but like I say, we held on,” Hardeman said.

On Oct. 15, 2011, Hardeman and Laguerre got into a physical fistfight outside Hardeman’s Lakewood Terrace home in southeast Atlanta.

Police said it all started because of "dirty looks" between the two. At the end of the fist fight, Laguerre took off, telling Hardeman he was coming back with his "red eye," referring to his gun.

Shortly after the fight, Laguerre came back with his accomplice, Prentice Baker. When Hardeman appeared, Baker opened fire, hitting him multiple times. Laguerre also shot Hardeman with an assault rifle. Police say a third man, who hasn't been identified yet, also fired shots. In total, Hardeman was shot 50 times. His family found him dead in the front yard of their home.

“He wasn’t just but 19, and he hadn’t begun to start his life, and it’s hurting me dearly," Gloria Hardeman said Friday night. 

Matthew Hardeman made a name for himself as a high school football star at Avondale High School in DeKalb County. He then went to Cal State Fullerton on a football scholarship.

After injuring his knee, he was forced to return home to Georgia. At the time of his death, he was taking criminal justice classes at Georgia State University and preparing to play on the football team the next year.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Two days after Barbara Bush's death, a granddaughter gives birth

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 11:16 PM

Lauren Bush Lauren, CEO and Founder of FEED Projects (Photo by Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images for Visa, Inc. )
Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images for Visa, Inc.
Lauren Bush Lauren, CEO and Founder of FEED Projects (Photo by Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images for Visa, Inc. )(Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images for Visa, Inc.)

Just two days after the death of former first lady Barbara Bush, her granddaughter Lauren Bush Lauren and her husband, David, welcomed Max Walker Lauren to the family.

>> Read more trending news

According to a Facebook post from Barbara’s Bush son Neil Bush, Max was born on Thursday. Arriving two weeks before his mom’s due date, the baby boy weighed 7 pounds, 8 ounces.

Neil shared the news Friday morning and spoke about his mother’s passing as well as recognizing the moment as part of the circle of life:

“Maria and I were so blessed to spend lots of time with mom and dad during mom's last weeks and we are so grateful for the condolences and the outpouring of love expressed towards her by many, many friends. Barbara Bush was loved by everyone. She lived a remarkable life blessing family, friends, and total strangers around the world. Mom left on her own terms. In the final hours she was comfortable, loving, surrounded by family, holding hands with dad. Maria and I will always be grateful for being able to say a proper goodbye to our wonderful mother. And then two days later, yesterday morning, two weeks before her due date, Lauren Bush Lauren gave birth to a beautiful 7 lb 8 oz baby boy Max Walker Lauren. The circle of life. God is good.”

Bush’s daughter Lauren is married to the son of fashion designer Ralph Lauren. Lauren and David were married in 2011 and had their first son in 2015.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Woman steals identity via social media to land job with 6-figure salary

Published: Friday, April 20, 2018 @ 4:17 PM

Woman Tries To Land Six-Figure Job By Stealing Identity Via Social Media

A Louisiana woman with a history of identity theft faces 10 years in prison after she was convicted Wednesday of stealing another woman’s background to land an executive position with a six-figure salary.

Cindy T. White, 41, of Slidell, was found guilty of identity theft over $1,000, according to a news release from the office of 22nd Judicial District Attorney Warren Montgomery. It took jurors just 15 minutes to find White guilty of the charges. 

Montgomery said in the news release that White used information stolen from another woman’s LinkedIn profile to beef up her resume in September 2015, when she applied for an executive-level position with Diversified Foods & Seasonings. NOLA.com reported that the company, based in Covington, was founded by the late entrepreneur Al Copeland.

White also used the other woman’s Social Security number and driver’s license number when applying for the job, the news release said

She was initially hired as a human resources manager, a position with a $95,000 annual salary, Montgomery said. Five months later, she was promoted to senior human resources director, a job with a $105,000 salary. 

>> Read more trending news

Company officials became suspicious a few months later when they noticed that White had trouble with duties that she should have been able to perform based on her alleged educational background. Her resume listed a bachelor’s degree from Tulane University and a master’s degree from Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

“That’s not this person,” prosecutor Casey Dieck said in court, pointing at White. “This person stole the victim’s hard work and used it to get a six-figure salary and benefits to boot.”

Officials at Diversified Foods & Seasonings also noticed that White delegated a large number of tasks assigned to her, Montgomery said in the news release. They took a closer look at her personnel file and found discrepancies in it. 

Company officials called the St. Tammany Parish Sheriff’s Office in April 2016. 

Investigators determined that White lifted her educational background directly from the LinkedIn profile of a woman with a similar name, Montgomery said. They also discovered that she obtained the woman’s driver’s license and Social Security numbers from an unnamed online site. 

A look at White’s real background revealed that this was not the first time she had stolen someone’s identity, the news release said

White, a former Orleans Parish Sheriff’s Office employee, was arrested in New Orleans in 1997 on suspicion of theft, forgery and malfeasance in office after she was accused of stealing a co-worker’s identity and emptying the woman’s bank account.

She was caught when she was spotted in surveillance photos and identified, the news release said. She pleaded guilty that September to two counts of forgery and received probation. 

Her probation was terminated in 1999 when the court was sent information that White had died, Montgomery said

White also had a 1998 conviction in Jefferson Parish for attempted theft of goods. 

Prosecutors argued that White, who admitted to St. Tammany Parish investigators that she used the victim’s identity to get the job, fraudulently collected $56,209 during the seven months she worked at Diversified Foods & Seasonings. Her defense attorney argued that she earned the salary she received. 

Dieck denied the defense claim, Montgomery said in the news release

“We have here a defendant who admits to stealing to cover up the fact that she’s a convicted thief,” the prosecutor said. 

Trending - Most Read Stories