log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:22 AM
PETALUMA, Calif. — The World’s Ugliest Dog Competition is getting underway at the Sonoma-Marin Fair in Petaluma, California, and this year, fans around the world can vote for their favorite to win the People’s Choice Award.
The World’s Ugliest Dog Competition takes place Saturday, June 23, after each contestant struts their stuff down the red carpet.
This year’s #WorldsUgliestDog pre-contest entertainment will be a dog show extravaganza! Don't miss it on Saturday right before the World's Ugliest Dog Contest! In the meantime, vote for your favorite pup: https://t.co/hB84inYinu #SonomaMarinFair pic.twitter.com/7VzQBtRafl— Sonoma-Marin Fair (@SonomaMarinFair) June 20, 2018
The California fair tradition dates back 30 years. Most of the World’s Ugliest Dog contestants are up for adoption and the event helps raise awareness of pet rescue and adoption.
Past winners have been rescued from animal shelters and puppy mills.
Last year’s winner was Martha, a Neapolitan Mastiff who was being fostered by the Dogwood Animal Rescue Group.
Martha has since been adopted.
The first place winner of the 2018 World’s Ugliest Dog Competition wins $1,500 and the grand trophy. The second place winner will receive $1,000 and third place will be granted $500.
One dog will also be awarded the Spirit Award, which highlights one special dog and owner who have overcome obstacles or provided service in the community -- such as visiting nursing homes, reading at local libraries with children or spending time with patients in hospitals.
Published: Monday, July 23, 2018 @ 5:33 AM
Updated: Monday, July 23, 2018 @ 2:19 AM
TORONTO — One person was killed and the suspect is dead after a gunman shot 14 people in Toronto’s Greektown neighborhood Sunday, police said. A child was among the injured, police said.
The Latest: 1 victim dead after man shoots 14 in Toronto. https://t.co/INIevyyU4c— The Associated Press (@AP) July 23, 2018
Here are the latest updates:
Update 2:01 a.m. EDT July 23: Toronto police Chief Mark Saunders said the child in critical condition is an 8- or 9-year-old girl, the Washington Post reported. He described the victim who was killed as a “young lady,” according to The Associated Press.
No further information about the condition of the victims was immediately available.
Saunders said the shooter used a handgun in the rampage and was killed after exchanging gunfire with officers. The shooting did not appear to be random, Saunders said.
One witness, John Tulloch, said he heard as many as 30 gunshots, the AP reported.
A video circulating on Twitter appeared to capture the sound of gunfire.
>> Click here to watch (WARNING: Viewer discretion advised.)
My evening was nice until I heard shooting right out of my place on the danforth. So scary!! The gun violence in Toronto is crazy. pic.twitter.com/eNHLlUlp6r— n💫 (@nsxoxoii) July 23, 2018
Update 1:06 a.m. EDT July 23: The child who was shot, a young girl, is currently in critical condition, according to Toronto police.
One city official, Councillor Paula Fletcher, said the shooting was not gang-related. Fletcher and Councillor Mary Fragedakis also said the gunman was emotionally disturbed.
Toronto Police Chief Saunders has updated media from scene. 14 victims were shot with a handgun. 1 female adult has died. 1 young girl in critical condition. Suspect is dead (not included in 14 victim total) Witnesses call 416-808-2222 Anonymous tips 1-800-222-8477 #GO1341286 ^sm— Toronto Police (@TorontoPolice) July 23, 2018
Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 3:21 PM
EAST HANOVER, N.J. — Some Ritz products are being voluntarily recalled due to the potential presence of salmonella.
Mondelez Global LLC announced the voluntary recall in the United States, Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands Saturday.
The affected products are some Ritz Cracker Sandwiches and Ritz Bits products. According to a news release, the products contain whey powder as an ingredient, and the whey powder supplier has recalled the ingredient due to potential salmonella.
Salmonella infection can lead to death for young children, frail people, elderly people and others with weakened immune systems, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Symptoms of infection include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps.
The specific products under recall are below. Images and UPC numbers of specific products are at the Mondelez International website.
Customers with the impacted products should discard the products. There have been no illnesses reported to the company related to the recalled products.
Published: Monday, July 23, 2018 @ 4:46 AM
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump took to Twitter late Sunday to issue a fiery, all-caps warning to Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, who told Trump hours earlier to stop "playing with the lion's tail ... or else you will regret it."
"To Iranian President Rouhani: NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN OR YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE," Trump wrote in the 11:24 p.m. tweet. "WE ARE NO LONGER A COUNTRY THAT WILL STAND FOR YOUR DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH. BE CAUTIOUS!"
To Iranian President Rouhani: NEVER, EVER THREATEN THE UNITED STATES AGAIN OR YOU WILL SUFFER CONSEQUENCES THE LIKES OF WHICH FEW THROUGHOUT HISTORY HAVE EVER SUFFERED BEFORE. WE ARE NO LONGER A COUNTRY THAT WILL STAND FOR YOUR DEMENTED WORDS OF VIOLENCE & DEATH. BE CAUTIOUS!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 23, 2018
Iranian state media called Trump's tweet "passive" and said he was just imitating previous remarks from Iranian leaders, The Associated Press reported.
Trump's comments came after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo delivered a speech slamming Iran, comparing its government to the mafia and accusing Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran's supreme leader, of having "his own personal, off-the-books hedge fund called the Setad, worth $95 billion."
"Sometimes it seems the world has become desensitized to the regime’s authoritarianism at home and its campaigns of violence abroad, but the proud Iranian people are not staying silent about their government’s many abuses – and the United States under President Trump will not stay silent, either," Pompeo said Sunday at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Library in Simi Valley, California. "In light of these protests and 40 years of regime tyranny, I have a message for the people of Iran: The United States hears you; the United States supports you; the United States is with you."
Pompeo's official Twitter account later shared several quotes from the speech.
پس از #چهل_سال بیداد، مردم پر افتخار ایران درمورد سوء استفاده های حکومتشان ساکت نمی نشینند. ما هم ساکت نخواهیم ماند. من پیامی برای #مردم_ایران دارم: ایالات متحده صدای شما را می شنود. ایالات متحده از شما حمایت می کند. #ایالات_متحده با شماست. pic.twitter.com/kyKEgZ0BGB— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) July 23, 2018
ایدئولوژی #رژیم_ایران ایرانیان را چنان خشمگین کرده که نمی توانند کشورشان را نرمال بخوانند. #قانون_اساسی ای که نابودی همسایه اش را تقدیس می کند نرمال نیست. #شکنجه مردمش نرمال نیست. بزرگترین کشور #حامی_تروریسم بودن، نرمال نیست. pic.twitter.com/ZqEbwhjabX— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) July 23, 2018
میوه #چهل_سال #انقلاب_اسلامی ایران تلخ بوده است. چهل سال #دزدسالاری. چهل سال که ثروت مردم صرف #تروریسم شده است. چهل سال که ایرانیان به خاطر ابراز حقوقشان محبوس شده اند. ما امیدواریم چهل سال بعدی توام با #آزادی باشد، نه #سرکوب. pic.twitter.com/UNEZIqyrMw— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) July 23, 2018
The rial is plummeting. A third of #Iran's youth are unemployed. A third of Iranians live below the poverty line. But if you’re a politically-connected member of the regime's elite, the Iranian economy is going great. pic.twitter.com/NCfyv3rCn1— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) July 23, 2018
– The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 8:03 PM
Updated: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 9:35 PM
FALLON, Nev. — A man fatally shot one person and injured another at a Nevada church during service Sunday afternoon, officials said.
One person is dead. The other victim was taken to a hospital with a leg injury, Fallon Mayor Ken Tedford told KOLO. The identities have not been released.
The suspected gunman, John Kelley O’Connor, 48, walked into Fallon Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints around 1 p.m., started firing, then left and walked home. He is in custody, Tedford told KOLO.
“Our hearts go out to the family members of those who have lost someone and those who were in the church today where the tragedy occurred,” Tedford told KOLO.
The shooting happened in front of about 50 other parishioners, KOLO reported.
“It’s really too early to understand the motive,” Fallon Police Chief Kevin Gehman told KOLO.
Deeply saddened by the act of senseless violence in Fallon today at the LDS church. We are in contact with Mayor Tedford and other officials. My family and I are praying for all loved ones, churchgoers, and community members impacted by this tragedy.— Dean Heller (@SenDeanHeller) July 22, 2018