log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, August 12, 2017 @ 10:30 AM
MONROE — Colin Bailey called 911 during the early morning hours of Aug. 5 and told Monroe dispatchers that he had shot his father who had been making threats, according to 911 calls obtained by this newspaper.
Christopher Bailey, 46, was killed in the disturbance on Teil Tree Court. Monroe police say the preliminary investigation indicates his 19-year-old son acted in self-defense and he has not been charged.
Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser agreed that Bailey poses no threat to the public, thus he is not in custody, but per policy of his office, the case will be presented to a grand jury.
Gmoser said that has been his policy with all homicides and this one is no exception.
“Cases like these need the eyes of a grand jury,” Gmoser said.
In the 911 call, Colin Bailey said, “He tried to put me into a choke hold and I had the gun and I shot him.”
He said that the bullet grazed his fathers’ side.
In another call that is difficult to hear, Colin Bailey said “Dad was threatening everyone, he was try to get the gun.”
“Based on all the information gathered to this point it appears that Colin Bailey acted in self-defense. No charges are pending against Colin Bailey and he is not in custody,” Monroe police Officer Josh King said in a statement.
Christopher Bailey was shot once by Colin Bailey, according to police. He was taken to Atrium Medical Center, where he died a hour later.
According to the police report, officers were called to the home “for an intoxicated male threatening suicide. Upon arrival it was discovered a domestic situation occurred between father and son.”
Published: Saturday, May 26, 2018 @ 10:44 PM
Updated: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 4:09 AM
DAYTON — Nearly 20 motorists pulled over Saturday night after their vehicles were struck by someone throwing rocks while they were traveling west on U.S. 35.
Thomas Acco of Jefferson Twp. and his girlfriend had just dropped off their children and were headed home when a rock came through the front of the windshield.
“I was in shock that someone would play with someone’s life like this,” he said.
“Glass just flew everywhere. We had a little swerve contest with the car in front of us — their windshield got hit also. We just pulled to the side and it was like 15, 20 cars lined up to the side all with damage.”
Dayton police Lt. Chris Malson said there are no suspects, but plenty of victims.
“We got a report of multiple cars, approximately 18 of them, that were hit with rocks as they were driving westbound on U.S. 35 near Woodman (Drive),” he said. “All the calls came within about five minutes of each other.
The Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center said they received starting at 10 p.m. The last one received was at 10:29 p.m.
One of the victims was Susan Myers of Lima who was headed back home with her husband, riding in the front passenger seat.
“We heard a loud bang and looked up and saw the damage on the windshield,” she said. “We immediately pulled over and noticed that there were several cars ahead of us also pulled over with their hazard lights on.”
There are no reports of injuries, but Myers said they were shaken and now have to deal with broken glass inside the car and their insurance company.
Tony Gerardi of Xenia said he was driving home from visiting friends in Dayton when his car was struck.
“I hope police get them. I’m safe, thank God,” said Gerardi, “I don’t know why someone would do something like that.”
Earlier Saturday, around 4:45 p.m., another two motorists, one from Illinois and one from Dayton, reported their windshields were struck by rocks. At least one of the windshields shattered just when they went under a bridge. They told police the rocks appeared to come from the north side of the highway but were not able to see the culprits. Police officers found a pile of rocks laying on the side of the highway before the South Smithville Road exit, according to a Dayton police report.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 3:49 AM
— A dry start expected with highs in the upper 80s to near 90 degrees. With the daytime heat, there may be an isolated shower or storm, but it looks like most will stay dry. Don’t cancel your outdoor plans, but have a backup plan indoors, Storm Center 7 Meteorologist Brett Collar said.
Tonight: A mild night is expected again with temperatures dropping into the middle to upper 60s.
Monday (Memorial Day): Should be a dry day, but once again an isolated shower or storm can’t be ruled out. It will be a hot day with highs near 90 degrees.
Tuesday: Another hot day is expected with highs near 90 under mostly sunny skies.
Wednesday: Remnants of Subtropical Storm Alberto could bring a chance for rain, maybe storms with highs in the middle 80s.
Thursday: Remnants of Alberto will give us more rain, highs in the middle 80s.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 3:33 AM
— Serial pedophile Wayne Chapman's release from prison was put on hold this week after an emergency petition pushed courts to keep him in jail.
Melanie Perkins, a friend of some of Chapman's victims, says she was shocked to hear he was supposed to be released this week.
"Wayne Chapman is a very dangerous man," Perkins said. "He’s also a very sick man."
Perkins says a few of her friends were sexually abused by Chapman, and believes the disappearance of her childhood friend Andy Puglisi, is also connected to Chapman.
"While there’s considerable circumstantial evidence against Wayne Chapman in the disappearance of Andy Puglisi, there’s, in fact, no body," Perkins said. "Andy’s remains were never found."
Chapman was convicted of raping young boys in 1977, and spent four decades in prison.
Two qualified examiners determined Chapman is no longer sexually dangerous, and he was set to be released.
The Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts agreed to take another look at the case after attorney Wendy Murphy filed an emergency petition to appeal Chapman's release.
"Obviously we are very pleased," Murphy said. "The victims are relieved to put it mildly, and they’re also optimistic."
Those against Chapman's release are optimistic now that the Judicial Court will have a say in the decision, and Perkins is hoping that the convicted child rapist is never let out.
"If and when Wayne Chapman does get out and he does re-offend, this has all been recorded," Perkins said. "So that everybody knows what the warnings were ahead of time, and this is all evidence in terms of unfortunately whatever child might be next in his case."
Chapman will remain in prison until the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts decides whether he's no longer sexually dangerous.
Published: Sunday, May 27, 2018 @ 3:30 AM
ATLANTA — Atlanta Special Agent in Charge, David LeValley, died Saturday morning of complications from his role as a first responder at the World Trade Center.
WSB-TV confirmed the information Saturday morning with the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
FBI: Atlanta Special Agent in Charge David LeValley died this morning of complications from his role as 1st responder at #WorldTradeCenter. Line of duty. #hero. I knew him and am incredibly sad @wsbtv— Mark Winne (@MarkWinneWSB) May 26, 2018
LeValley served as the special agent in charge of the Atlanta Division since November 2016. He previously served as the SAC of the Criminal and Cyber Division at the Washington Field Office.
LeValley became a special agent with the FBI in 1996 and was assigned to the New York Division.
Our hearts are heavy at #FBI Atlanta as our leader SAC David J. LeValley paid the ultimate sacrifice today. He died in the line of duty after sacrificing for his country as a first responder to 9/11. We will always be grateful for your sacrifice and your leadership. pic.twitter.com/RiAGFIre3e— FBI Atlanta (@FBIAtlanta) May 27, 2018
He was called to serve his country following the attacks on 9/11 at the World Trade Center, where he spent several weeks being exposed to contaminants. LeValley died in the line of duty as a direct result of his work at the World Trade Center.
"LeValley’s death is a great loss to the entire FBI, but particularly to his family, the FBI Atlanta Division and the Atlanta community," the FBI said in a statement to WSB-TV "We are honored to have served beside him and are grateful for his leadership and sacrifice."
FBI Special Agent-in-charge David LeValley in interview just a few weeks ago. We’re told he died this morning of complications from work at WorldTradeCenter. One of the really good ones. Straight forward, humble, widely respected. #grace #selfless #hero @wsbtv pic.twitter.com/ATtdqKU9rf— Mark Winne (@MarkWinneWSB) May 26, 2018