Middletown man recently released from prison arrested for three robberies on the same day

Published: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 @ 7:53 AM


            Andre Pruden
Andre Pruden

A Middletown man who had been out of prison for a few weeks was arrested Saturday for committing three robberies on the same day.

Andre Pruden, 25, is scheduled to appear for arraignment at 8:30 a.m. today in Middletown Municipal Court on three counts of aggravated robbery, which are first-degree felonies. Police filed the aggravated robbery charges on Monday, according to court records. He is being held in the Middletown City Jail.

Police said Pruden allegedly robbed a woman at gunpoint about 7 p.m. Saturday in the 700 block of Vancouver Street.

MORE: Deceased wife’s sister calls Middletown man a ‘monster’ as he is sentenced for her murder

Less than an hour later, in the 1800 block of Casper Street, two people had just arrived home when Pruden allegedly came to a stop in his pickup truck next to their vehicle. Police said Pruden, who was wearing a mask, got out of his truck and followed the people into their front yard, where he demanded money.

When one of the residents said he did not have any money on him, Pruden allegedly pulled out a gun and put it into his chest. The resident pulled out his wallet to show that he did not have any money, and Pruden then turned the gun at the other person and demanded the she give him all of her money, police said. When she said she didn’t have any money, Pruden got back into his truck and headed east on Casper Street toward Charles Street. Police arrived but could not locate Pruden’s truck.

MORE: Detective: Thieves from local ring target Liberty Center, steal thousands worth of perfume and more

Later in the evening, another robbery was reported on Stanley Street.

“By the third robbery, officers already had a good idea of his description, truck and gun and were looking for him,” said Police Maj. Scott Reeve. “All of the robberies were random. It’s rare for a guy to do three robberies in a row on the same day.”

When Pruden was arrested, he was found with a 9mm handgun with an extended magazine holding 30 rounds and cocaine, police said.

MORE: Sex offender guilty of jogger assault avoids prison, gets treatment

In addition to the aggravated robbery charges, Pruden has also been charged with having weapons under disability, a third-degree felony, having a concealed weapon, a fourth-degree felony and drug abuse/cocaine, a fifth-degree felony. He is scheduled to appear in court at 2:30 p.m. Feb. 20 for preliminary hearings on those charges.

Reeve said that Pruden was convicted of aggravated robbery in 2010 and that a family member said he had been out for just a few weeks.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Lottery winner vows to stay anonymous after $5 million win

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 11:53 AM

Tips for When You Win the Lottery

An unemployed Bronx man won a life-changing jackpot, but he doesn’t want to tell anyone about the good news. 

But New York Gaming Commission says that’s not an option, and that the unidentified man will have to accept his $5 million mega check in front of cameras, the New York Post reported

The 24-year-old man bought a $20 scratch-off in April, the New York Daily News reported.

But the state says winners of $1 million or more have to appear at a press conference announcing their windfall, and accept their giant check. Each ticket has the rules spelled out on the back, the Daily News reported.

The new multimillionaire from the Bronx tried to claim his winnings but was told that he had to be part of the press conference in his honor. But he told the New York Post that he doesn’t want his neighborhood to know how much cash he’s sitting on.

>> Read more trending news 

If the Gaming Commission doesn’t change its mind, then the man said he will sue to keep his identity secret, the Post reported.

Once he collects his winnings he wants to do something for his mother, who raised him as a single mother and who worked two jobs at fast food restaurants to pay the bills. He plans to buy a house for his mother and a second one for him and his brother to share. He also has a 4-year-old daughter for whom he will save some of his winnings. The man also says he’ll invest $1 million, the Post reported

A lawyer who specializes in the lottery says the man’s case against the Game Commission may not be as easily won as it sounds. 

“I think it is a heavy lift,” Jason Kurland told the Daily News. “But sometimes the lottery commission will work with you. If they determine his life is in jeopardy, they have the flexibility to revise their regulations. But it is very difficult.”

But it can happen.

Earlier this year, a judge in New Hampshire ruled that the winner of a $560 million Powerball jackpot could stay anonymous, ABC News reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man wins millions off 4 scratch cards in 6 months

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 1:43 PM



California Lottery
(California Lottery)

A very lucky longtime lottery player has won millions of dollars in recent months playing lottery scratch-off games, according to officials in California.

>> Read more trending news

Officials said Sunday that Antulio Mazariegos recently walked into the California Lottery’s Van Nuys District Office with three winning scratch-off cards, including a California Black Premium Scratcher worth $5 million. He also had a $5,000,000 Spectacular Scratcher card worth $1,000 and a $10 Million Dazzler Scratcher worth $600, officials said.

>> Lottery winner vows to stay anonymous after $5 million win

Mazariegos last won big playing scratch-off games in November, when he won $1 million off an Emerald 10’s scratch card.

“Our newest millionaire has no idea why he’s been so lucky,” California Lottery officials said Sunday. “He tells us he just likes to play.”

The 7 Biggest Jackpots in U.S. History

Mazariegos said he bought his million-dollar California Black Premium Scratcher at a store in Van Nuys. The store had only three of the scratch-off games left when he went to buy it, so he told officials he decided to just buy all three.

“That decision paid off handsomely,” lottery officials said.

A portion of the money made from sales of California Lottery games, 34 percent, goes toward education in the state. Officials said Los Angeles County public schools have gotten $8.4 billion in lottery funds since 1985, when the first lottery ticket was sold.

Related

Trending - Most Read Stories

North Carolina man rolled his eyes at wife before buying winning lottery ticket

Published: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 2:15 PM

A North Carolina man took home nearly $275,000 after his wife pushed him to buy a $2 lottery ticket. 
Jeremy Brooks, Flickr (CC BY-NC 2.0)
A North Carolina man took home nearly $275,000 after his wife pushed him to buy a $2 lottery ticket. (Jeremy Brooks, Flickr (CC BY-NC 2.0))

The winner of Monday’s Lucky for Life lottery in North Carolina may never be able to roll his eyes at his wife ever again.

Darrin Nunnery won Monday’s $390,000 jackpot after his wife asked him to buy her a $2 lottery ticket. 

>> Read more trending news

Nunnery’s wife called to him, “Get me a Lucky For Life ticket,” and he apparently rolled his eyes at her, according to a tweet from the North Carolina Education Lottery.

 

Lottery for Life winners can choose to take a lump sum or $25,000 a year for life.

Nunnery chose the lump sum of $390,000, according to WRAL. After federal and state withholdings, he took home nearly $275,000.

He told WRAL he plans to spend the money on some home improvement projects, pay bills and donate to his church.

The odds of winning the N.C. Education Lottery are one in 1.8 million, WRAL said. Nunnery is the 16th person to win the prize so far in North Carolina.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Child dies after motorized room partition crushes him at school

Published: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 8:58 AM

Child Dies After Being Crushed By Motorized Room Partition

A 9-year-old boy from Franconia, Virginia, is dead after he was crushed by a motorized room partition.

Police said that third grader Wesley Lipicky and a teacher, both hit a button to open the partition. The wall is motorized and splits a room in half, WUSA reported.

Lipicky was caught between the divider and the wall in the gym, suffering traumatic head injuries, according to police.

>> Read more trending news 

He was pronounced dead Friday night at an area hospital.

Police said that Lipicky was part of the School Age Child Care after-school program at Franconia Elementary School. 

Officials ruled Lipicky’s death as accidental and said that charges are not expected to be filed, WTTG reported.

The school’s principal said that there will be support available for students, staff and parents, WTTG reported.

Trending - Most Read Stories