Miami University student indicted on 13 sex charges, including rape

Published: Thursday, November 16, 2017 @ 1:17 PM
Updated: Thursday, November 16, 2017 @ 2:46 PM

Nicolas Cristescu is charged with rape and voyeurism

A Miami University student is behind bars after being indicted on 13 sex charges, including rape.

Nicolas Cristescu, 20, of Cleveland, who lives in the Pines Lodge residence hall at Heritage Commons, is accused of rape and sexual battery, both felonies, as well as 11 counts of misdemeanor voyeurism, according to the Butler County Clerk of Courts Office.

The crimes are alleged to have occurred between Oct. 11 and 12.

Content Continues Below

Nicolas Cristescu(Staff Writer)

MORE: 53 people indicted in Butler and Warren counties

The rape indictment alleges Cristescu engaged in sexual conduct with a person when “the other person’s ability to resist or consent is substantially impaired because of mental or physical condition…”

The original complaint filed in area court states that “Cristescu video recorded himself having vaginal sex with an unconscious female.”

All the charges, including voyeurism, involve one victim, Butler County Assistant Prosecutor Kelly Heile told this news outlet.

She declined to disclose the age of the victim, but confirmed it is an adult.

Each voyeurism charge coincides with an image allegedly taken by Cristescu of the victim, according to Heile.

MORE: Butler County spike in opioid overdoses prompts warning

Cristescu was initially charged with the felony crimes on Oct. 25 in Area I Court, but those charges were dismissed by the prosecutor. The evidence was then presented to a Butler County grand jury, which returned the 13-charge indictment on Nov. 1.

Cristescu was arraigned last week by Butler County Common Pleas Judge Michael Oster, who set bond at $75,000.

Cristescu is scheduled to be back in court Nov. 27 for a pre-trial hearing.

Claire Wagner, director of Miami University news and communications, confirmed to this news outlet that Cristescu is registered as a Miami University student.

MORE: Hamilton firefighter death trial: Tears, scream fill courtroom as defense calls first witness

On Oct. 20, Cristescu was charged with drug abuse (marijuana) and five counts of pandering obscenity involving a minor, a misdemeanor, according to Butler County Area I Court records.

A report from Miami University Police states that on Oct. 13 “Cristescu was was found to be in possession of obscene images involving a female minor. The female minor was 16 years old when the images were created and originally received by Cristescu from the female minor in 2014.”

On Oct. 20, Cristescu was arrested and declined to speak to officers, according to the police report obtained by this news outlet.

He pleaded guilty to the drug charge and to one count of an amended charge of disseminating material harmful to juvenile, also a misdemeanor.

He is scheduled to be sentenced next month on those charges.

As part of that investigation, Heile said detectives began looking at Cristescu’s phone, which led to the additional charges.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Middletown police warn of impersonators pulling people over

Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 11:03 PM



Nick Graham
(Nick Graham)

Middletown police are warning residents about a group of teens pulling people over impersonating police officers.

Police made the public warning on its Facebook page on Sunday evening.

MORE: West Chester man arrested after standoff with police

Content Continues Below

Police said four white teens are driving around Middletown in a blue or gray convertible that has a light on the dashboard as well as a loud speaker and air horn.

Anyone with any information about these people or who may have seen this vehicle are asked to call police dispatch at 513-425-7700, option 0.

Trending - Most Read Stories

SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket launches at Cape Canaveral 

Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 5:30 PM

SpaceX preps for overnight launch of “state-of-the-art” communication satellite at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. (Photo: SpaceX)
SpaceX preps for overnight launch of “state-of-the-art” communication satellite at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. (Photo: SpaceX)


SpaceX lit up the night sky over the Space Coast this weekend with the launch of the Telstar 19 Vantage satellite around 1:50 a.m. Sunday.

>> Read more trending news

The space launch company said Saturday that its Falcon 9 rocket was vertical on the launch pad at Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.

Content Continues Below

Telstar 19 Vantage is described as a “state-of-the-art, high throughput satellite optimized to serve growing markets in the Americas,” said Dan Goldberg, Telesat's president and CEO.

Telstar 19 Vantage will help improve mobile communication signals from Latin America to Northern Canada.

Following the launch, SpaceX will also attempt to land Falcon 9’s first stage on its droneship, “Of Course I Still Love You,” in the Atlantic Ocean.

Trending - Most Read Stories

1 dead, 1 injured in Nevada church shooting, officials say

Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 8:03 PM
Updated: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 9:35 PM

File photo. (Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images)
Robert Laberge/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images)(Robert Laberge/Getty Images)

A man fatally shot one person and injured another at a Nevada church during service Sunday afternoon, officials said. 

>> Read more trending news

One person is dead. The other victim was taken to a hospital with a leg injury, Fallon Mayor Ken Tedford told KOLO. The identities have not been released. 

Content Continues Below

The suspected gunman, John Kelley O’Connor, 48, walked into Fallon Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints around 1 p.m., started firing, then left and walked home. He is in custody, Tedford told KOLO

“Our hearts go out to the family members of those who have lost someone and those who were in the church today where the tragedy occurred,” Tedford told KOLO.

The shooting happened in front of about 50 other parishioners, KOLO reported.

“It’s really too early to understand the motive,” Fallon Police Chief Kevin Gehman told KOLO. 

Sen. Dean Heller (R-NV) shared his condolences on Twitter

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Man drowns trying to save 3 boys from rip current

Published: Sunday, July 22, 2018 @ 9:20 PM

File photo.  (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)
Bruce Bennett/Getty Images
File photo. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)(Bruce Bennett/Getty Images)

A man jumped into the Outer Banks in an attempt to save three boys caught in a rip current and was himself pulled out to sea on Thursday. 

>> Read more trending news

Kenny Ray Gooch, 32, of Powells Point, tried to save his girlfriend’s 12-year-old son,  who was swimming near the Kitty Hawk pier with two teens, when they were pulled 75 yards out by a rip current, WTKR reported.

Content Continues Below

Gooch rushed in to help but was pulled out to sea and disappeared. 

Bystanders rescued the 12-year-old. The 19- and 14-year-old made it back to shore on their own, according to WTKR

Gooch was later found by water rescuers who brought him to shore but were unable to revive him, according to WTKR. 

Gooch is the eighth victim of the Outer Banks surf this year. Two years ago nine people died. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Trending - Most Read Stories