log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Saturday, March 12, 2016 @ 12:17 PM
Updated: Thursday, March 31, 2016 @ 11:30 AM
DAYTON — Thomas DiMassimo, the Fairborn man accused of vaulting over a railing and rushing the stage during Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Vandalia, appeared today in federal court.
UPDATE @ 10:06 a.m.:
No action was taken in court today following a status conference in federal court for Thomas DiMassimo.
DiMassimo’s next court appearance is set for April 15, with a deadline to file evidence set for April 11.
DiMassimo appeared in U.S. District Court in Dayton March 25 for his initial appearance, where he entered a plea of not guilty in front of the judge.
“He has political views and wanted them to be heard,” said Jon Paul Rion, attorney for DiMassimo. “He did not attempt to cause anything other than that.”
The charge against DiMassimo comes with a sentence of up to one year and a fine of up to $100,000 if convicted.
“It’s our belief that this is presumed to be probation even if he were to enter a plea today,” Rion said.
Benjamin Glassman, acting U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Ohio, thinks this case is important when it comes to this year’s elections and the events surrounding them.
“Passions are high in this election. We think it’s important for people attending a political events, whether they’re attending to support the candidate or attending to protest, that everybody is safe,” Glassman said.
While Donald Trump was speaking to supporters at his rally at Wright Brothers Aero at the Dayton International Airport, DiMassimo was accused of jumping over a security railing in an attempt to get onto the stage where Trump was speaking.
DiMassimo nearly made it onto the stage. However, several secret service agents grabbed the 22-year-old and took him into custody.
“I was ready for him, but it’s much easier if the cops do it, don’t we agree?” Trump said following the incident.
In April 2015, Dimassimo, then a Wright State University junior, helped lead an anti-racism protest that included students standing on American flags and holding signs saying, “Not my flag.”
“I thought it would ruffle some feathers, but I did not anticipate how tense the backlash would become,” DiMassimo told this newspaper at the time. “If anything, all that has shown is that people in this area and people on the Internet care more about a symbolic piece of cloth, than they do a black person’s life … or, even beyond that, our Constitutional rights.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 4:00 PM
Updated: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 4:12 PM
BEAVERCREEK — UPDATE @4:08 p.m.The middle lane is now open in the 3300 block of Pentagon Boulevard after a two-vehicle accident in Beavercreek.
The right lane and left turn lane remain closed at the intersection of Pentagon Boulevard and the entrance to The Mall at Fairfield Commons.
Police on scene were unable to tell us what caused the crash.
A part of Pentagon Boulevard is closed after a vehicle crash in Beavercreek Saturday, according to Beavercreek dispatchers.
Emergency crews were called to the scene in the 3300 block of Pentagon Boulevard around 3: 40 p.m.
Initial reports indicate that at least two vehicles were involved and two people were transported to a hospital.
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 1:51 PM
Updated: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 3:02 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 3 p.m.:
The National Museum of the United States Air Force is open after an evacuation earlier that day.
No one from the museum able to comment on the incident was available.
It’s unknown why the evacuation happened at this time.
We are working to learn more about a reported evacuation at the National Museum of the United States Air Force Saturday.
Witnesses are telling us the guests were evacuated around 12:40 p.m.
People were seen waiting outside while several left the museum completely.
Published: Friday, July 20, 2018 @ 8:32 PM
Updated: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 1:36 PM
DAYTON — UPDATE @ 1:15 P.M.
Officials held a ceremony today for a ribbon-cutting celebrating new services at Good Samaritan Hospital North.
WATCH a replay of our Facebook Live from the event below:
A ribbon-cutting ceremony for new services at Good Samaritan North Health Center, which will become Miami Valley Hospital North on July 23, will be held today at 1:00 p.m.
The ceremony will be at the Health Center located at 9000 N. Main Street, according to a release.
For the first time, this site will offer inpatient beds--a total of 46 private rooms for short-stay inpatient and observation care, including four high-acuity beds. Patients will be able to access advanced, integrated services ranging from non-operative medical treatment to inpatient surgical intervention.
Published: Saturday, July 21, 2018 @ 2:00 PM
MIDDLETOWN — Weather is not cooperating this weekend for hot air balloon enthusiasts wanting to take to the skies in Middletown.
The Ohio Challenge competition and glow was cancelled Friday night when strong storms moved through the area. The weather kept pilots from launching again this morning.
The festival portion of the Ohio Challenge is still scheduled for today, and organizers are hopeful current rain will move out before it begins at 4 p.m.
“The pilots are very eager to launch,” said Kathy Stites, event manager. “If the rains stops, then they can glow, that usually happens about dusk. And there will be fireworks rain or shine.
The challenge is scheduled from 4 to 10:30 p.m. today at Smith Park. In addition to the balloons, there is a car show, a band and vendors filling the park.