breaking news


Sophomore removed from Dixie HS following concerning messages about school shooting

Published: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 1:28 PM
Updated: Thursday, February 22, 2018 @ 1:55 PM

Local authorities taking school threats seriously

UPDATE @ 1:55 p.m.

A male sophomore at Dixie High School is facing charges after posting concerning statements on social media directed towards staff and students at the school, according to New Lebanon police Capt. Jim Chambers. 

LOCAL NEWS: Springfield High School female student arrested in ‘S.H.S’ threats case

School administrators contacted police around 9:30 a.m. Thursday after students alerted teachers of the messages posted to social media, Chambers said. The suspect was arrested and has been booked into the Montgomery County Juvenile Justice Center on a charge of inducing panic. 

RELATED: 2 middle school students arrested for making threats to Fairborn High School

“With the events in Florida, this obviously concerns our agency,” Chambers said. “We owe it to the public to keep them safe.” 

“We’re going to work with folks at the juvenile justice center and the prosecutor’s office to find a resolution to this matter, hopefully one that fixes the problem,” Chambers said. 

FIRST REPORT

A Dixie High School sophomore was taken into custody Thursday after administrators said the student posted concerning messages on social media regarding a school shooting.

New Lebanon Local Schools Superintendent Greg Williams said other students made administrators aware of the social media post around 9:30 a.m., shortly after the post was made.

According to Williams, police were called to the school and the student was removed from the building by New Lebanon Police.  We’ve contacted police to see if the student was ultimately arrested and if the student will be facing any charges.

Williams added that the social media post was not a specific threat of a shooting at Dixie, but the message warranted action by the school.

The district is planning a one-call message to parents informing them of the incident.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Vandalia’s Air Show parade steps off

Published: Tuesday, June 19, 2018 @ 2:19 PM

The Vandalia-Butler Chamber of Commerce will host a parade on Friday for the Air Show. CONTRIBUTED.
The Vandalia-Butler Chamber of Commerce will host a parade on Friday for the Air Show. CONTRIBUTED.

This is the 40th year for the Air Show parade, and it’s only had to be cancelled twice, with last year being the second time--according to Dan Schweitzer, Parade Chair.

To make sure the weather is going to be in good shape for the parade, Schweitzer checks the radar. If it’s going to rain, the parade is still on, but if it’s going to thunderstorm, then the parade gets called off.

Many people set up chairs outside to see this parade. “These chairs have been there for a couple of days now,” said Schweitzer. “We have like 30 volunteers, and over 70 units in the parade. We got bands, we got drum cores, we got the shrine in the parade. So everyone needs to come out and see us.”

On Friday, the Vandalia-Butler Chamber of Commerce will host an Air Show parade in honor of this year’s Dayton Vectren Air Show at the Dayton International Airport.

The parade will close a portion of National Road and Dixie Drive from 6:45 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, according to Communications Manager Rich Hopkins.

MORE: Insider’s guide to the Dayton Air Show: 7 things to know before you go

Event organizers had planned for Vandalia Police Chief Douglas Knight to be the grand marshal for the parade, but Knight died this spring, just weeks after announcing he planned to retire this summer.

Instead, members of the Knight family will will step in as the honorary grand marshals.

MORE: Hungry at the Air Show? Check out these Vandalia-area restaurants

The parade route is James Bohanan Drive at National Road, to Dixie Drive and National Road. Then it continues to North on Dixie Drive to Inverness Drive, according to Hopkins.

For more information about the parade contact Hopkins at (937) 898-5891.

Trending - Most Read Stories

9 arrested after drug-related search warrant at Eaton home

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 2:12 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 2:34 PM

Top row: Steven Jones (L), Samantha Dillon (C), James E. Busteed (R).
Middle: Kara Straszheim (L), Brittany N. Betzner (C), Travis R. Hodapp (R)
Bottom: Martin J. Boomershine (L), Darrell Raymond Griffith (C), Nicole L. Sherer (R)
Top row: Steven Jones (L), Samantha Dillon (C), James E. Busteed (R). Middle: Kara Straszheim (L), Brittany N. Betzner (C), Travis R. Hodapp (R) Bottom: Martin J. Boomershine (L), Darrell Raymond Griffith (C), Nicole L. Sherer (R)

Nine people were arrested after police executed a drug-related search warrant at a Eaton home Friday morning, according to Eaton Police Chief Steven Hurd. 

TRENDING: Kettering police officer shot passenger during altercation after passenger fled

Eaton police and the Preble County Sheriff’s Office executed the search a the home in the 600 block of Aukerman Street around 8 a.m. Friday, Hurd confirmed to this news outlet. 

TRENDING: Police chief: Officer shoots, kills man who fatally stabbed woman

Hurd said the house was known to police for drug activity and have made arrests there before for drug-related charges. 

Police arrested nine people on various charges and all were booked into the Preble County Jail: 

  • Brittany N. Betzner, 30, on a charge of possession of a drug abuse instrument
  • Martin J. Boomershine, 44, on a charge of possession of a drug abuse instrument
  • James E. Busteed, 29, on charges of possession of drugs, and possession of a drug abuse instrument
  • Samantha Dillon, 28, on charges of possession of a drug abuse instrument and obstructing official business 
  • Darrell Raymond Griffith, 73, on charges of permitting drug abuse and possession of a drug abuse instrument
  • Travis R. Hodapp, 37, on charges of with possession of a drug abuse
  • Steven Chad Jones, 27, obstructing official business and a parole violation
  • Nicole L. Sherer, 35, possession of a drug abuse instrument
  • Kara Straszheim, 27, charged with possession of a drug abuse instrument

Contributed Photo

Trending - Most Read Stories

Flash Flood Watch issued for some, isolated storms possible today 

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 3:34 AM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 4:23 PM

Damaging winds and flooding the main threat.

A Flash Flood Watch is in effect until midnight issued for some counties in the area, including: Auglaize, Clark, Champaign, Darke, Logan, Mercer, Miami and Shelby counties. 

McCall Vrydaghs/Staff

>> LISTEN: Cloudy with a Chance of Podcast: A podcast for weather fans 

QUICK-LOOK FORECAST

  • Mild for the weekend 
  • Isolated flooding and damaging winds possible
  • Few showers and storms into the evening

>> 5-Day Forecast

DETAILED FORECAST

THIS EVENING:Partly sunny with a few passing showers or storms into the early evening. Some isolated storms may become intense with locally heavy rain and strong wind gusts. Severe threat is low, but the potential exists that a couple of storms may produce damaging winds. Storms will weaken and taper of into the night. Clouds linger with temperatures falling into the middle 60s late.

5 Day Forecast with Meteorologist McCall Vrydaghs

>> LIVE Doppler 7 Interactive HD Radar

TOMORROW:  Mostly cloudy, mild and still a little muggy with the chance of a few passing showers or isolated storm. A little bit of a breezy afternoon with temperatures in the upper 70s. Some breaks in the clouds Saturday night with temperatures dropping into the lower 60s.

SUNDAY: Partly sunny and warm with the slight chance of a passing shower. Most of the area will remain dry with highs in the lower 80s.

>> County-by-County Weather 

MONDAY: Mostly sunny and comfortably warm for Monday. Temperatures rise into the lower 80s.

TUESDAY: Partly cloudy and warmer for Tuesday. Highs in the middle 80s.

WEDNESDAY: Partly sunny skies with showers and a few storms developing. A very warm and muggy day with temperatures climbing into the upper 80s.

 

Trending - Most Read Stories

2 injured in three-vehicle accident on I-75 South at state Route 4 in Dayton 

Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 4:28 PM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 6:00 PM

Traffic backed up for miles this is at Wagner Ford and 75 southbound

UPDATE @ 6 p.m.: All lanes of Interstate 75 south are open following a three-vehicle crash at state Route 4 in Dayton.

UPDATE @ 4:56 p.m.: Two people have been taken to a hospital suffering from non-life-threatening injuries from the three-vehicle accident on I-75 South at state Route 4 in Dayton. 

The accident involves a semitrailer, a pickup truck and a car. 

Dayton police said their preliminary investigation indicates that the pickup hit a guardrail impact absorber at the split from the interstate to the state route, then returned to the interstate. 

>> OTHER TRENDING NEWS: Kettering police explain shooting

The semi, in trying avoid the pickup tuck, collided with the passenger car. 

One of the victims was driving the pickup truck, police said. We’re working to determine which vehicle the second victim was in.

One lane on the far left remains open.

INITIAL REPORT

An accident on I-75 South at state Route 4 involving a semitrailer and several vehicles has traffic backed up to at least Needmore Road in Harrison Twp. 

>>GET THE LATEST ON DAYTON TRAFFIC

The accident, dispatched just after 4 p.m., about a mile south of the Stanley Avenue exit. 

I75s at 4 ax semi and multi cars BURIANEK

Dayton police, fire and medic units have been dispatched to the scene. 

One lane on the far left is open to traffic.

We have a crew headed to the scene. We will update this developing report. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com 

Trending - Most Read Stories