The Miami Valley is gearing up for its first significant severe weather event of the season. Heavy rain, damaging winds and an isolated spin-up tornado are possible.
>>TRACK THE CONDITIONS: Live Doppler 7 Interactive Radar
THURSDAY FORECAST: Rounds of rain and high winds; severe storms possible tonight
- Midday: Drying out with some peeks of sunshine from lunchtime into the early afternoon. Winds will increase and temperatures will rise to nearly 70 degrees.
- Afternoon: A line of strong to severe storms will move through the Miami Valley between 3 p.m. – 10 p.m. This will be the time frame for the greatest risk of severe weather.
STAY UP TO DATE: Download the WHIO Weather App
- Heavy downpours at times; minor flooding
- Wind gusts up to 50 mph outside of thunderstorms
- Damaging wind gusts with afternoon storms
- Isolated spin-up tornado possible with afternoon storms
- Allow push notifications from the WHIO Weather app. This will alert you immediately if a watch or warning is issued
- Listen to AM 1290 and News 95.7 WHIO if out on the roads
- Watch WHIO-TV for LIVE updates if severe weather is occurring
- Move indoors away from windows if a SEVERE thunderstorm warning is issued
- Move to the lowest, interior room of a sturdy structure if a TORNADO warning is issued
- Remain in your safe place until the all clear is given
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AND WATCHES AND WARNINGS
WATCH: Atmospheric conditions are favorable for the development of sever weather. Have a plan ready in case a warning is issued.
WARNING: A severe storm has develops, capable of producing hail greater than 1” diameter and/or winds of at least 58 mph.
- WATCH: Tornadoes are possible in and near the watch area. Be ready to act quickly if a warning is issued.
- WARNING: A tornado has been sighted or indicated by radar. Move to your safe place immediately