— Indiana State Police report that a possible mass shooting was avoided this morning when law enforcement responded quickly to a tip that someone was threatening to shoot up an intermediate school in Richmond, Indiana.
The incident ended with the death of 14-year-old Brandon Clegg by an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
What we know now
- Richmond police received a tip around 8 a.m. about a “potential violent act” at Dennis Intermediate School.
- All 16 Richmond Community Schools buildings, including Dennis, were placed on lockdown, meaning no one was allowed to enter or leave the school buildings.
- Brandon Clegg, who was not a student at the school, showed up at Dennis at the same time law enforcement arrived
- Despite the lockdown, Clegg got inside the school building by shooting out the door’s window glass.
- Officers followed the him inside and cornered him in a stairwell, where they exchanged gunfire.
- Clegg was reported dead by apparent suicide with a gun. No students or law enforcement were reported injured.
- By 10 a.m., the district reported that normal operations had resumed in the district’s other schools.
- Parents were advised to pick up Dennis students at the Civic Hall Performing Arts Center on Richmond High School’s campus
- Indiana State Police made entry this afternoon at the teen’s home in the 100 block of Southwest 16th Street, where neighbors reported they seized computers, gun boxes and other items.
- Dennis Intermediate School will not have classes Friday or Monday
- Dennis Intermediate, 222 NW Seventh St., serves students in fifth through eighth grades. It is one of three middle schools in Richmond Community Schools, which has an enrollment of 4,879
LATEST: One dead after shooting at Richmond Middle School