2-year-old, parents suffer burns trying to throw hot pot outside Hamilton home

Published: Friday, May 24, 2019 @ 9:15 AM

A 2-year-old and her parents were injured by burning grease the father was trying to throw outside on Thursday, May 23, 2019, in the 800 block of Millkin Road. NICK GRAHAM / STAFF
A 2-year-old and her parents were injured by burning grease the father was trying to throw outside on Thursday, May 23, 2019, in the 800 block of Millkin Road. NICK GRAHAM / STAFF

UPDATE @ 9:51 a.m. (May 24): The Hamilton 2-year-old and her parents were injured on Thursday night as the father tried to get a pot burning with a grease fire outside the home, according to the child’s grandmother.

The grease fire started in the kitchen, and the mother held the 2-year-old and the home’s door as the father tried to get the pot outside. The grease splattered, burning all three, the grandmother said.

The child was taken to Fort Hamilton Hospital and then by medical helicopter to Shriners Hospitals for Children-Cincinnati. She may need skin grafts, the grandmother said.

Content Continues Below

INITIAL REPORT (May 23)

A 2-year-old and the child’s parents suffered burn injuries when grease on a kitchen stove exploded on Thursday night in Hamilton.

Initial reports indicated the child suffered burns over more than 10 percent of its body during the incident in the 800 block of Millikin Road.

“They put some food in and the grease exploded,” said Hamilton Fire Chief Mark Mercer. 

All suffered burns, including a 2-year-old child, but the chief said they were not considered life-threatening. 

“Always be cautious when cooking on the stove, deep frying or grilling, which a lot of people will be doing this weekend,” Mercer said. 

Medic units were dispatched just after 9:30 p.m. on a report of "multiple burn victims" at the address. The initial calls indicated there may have been a third victim as well. 

If you have a news tip, call our 24-hour line at 937-259-2237 or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com