breaking news

breaking news


Police remove woman, dog from ‘unlivable’ home in Middletown

Published: Wednesday, January 03, 2018 @ 8:02 AM

Woman living in 'unlivable' conditions

Middletown police contacted Social Services and removed a dog after they found that a Middletown woman was residing in an “unlivable” home in the 4200 block of Vannest Avenue.

A complainant contacted police and said she was concerned for the 77-year-old woman and her dog, according to the police report.

MORE TRENDING NEWS

New Year’s Eve gunpoint robbery one of two investigated in Middletown

4-year-old girl dies after father’s street racing crash in Cincinnati

When police went to the home on New Year’s Eve, they were “overwhelmed with an extremely strong odor.” The living conditions were described as “deplorable” in the police report.

The officer said there were several jugs and containers filled with urine and feces and the house was so cold that a water line had broken in the utility room, and there was ice over the floor, the report said.

There were bags of trash and dirty dishes in the kitchen and a large box filled with cat and dog feces.

Police talked to the resident at Atrium Medical Center, where she was seeking treatment. They said her dog was in “poor health” and his toenails were so long, he had difficulty walking.

Joseph’s Legacy, a local animal rescue organization, was called to retrieve and care for the dog while his owner is hospitalized, police said.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Centerville blood drive honors police officer whose career was dedicated to caring for others

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 9:50 AM

Paula and John Kalaman with retired Centerville Police Chief Bruce Robertson at 2017 Officer John P. Kalaman Memorial Blood Drive. CONTRIBUTED
Paula and John Kalaman with retired Centerville Police Chief Bruce Robertson at 2017 Officer John P. Kalaman Memorial Blood Drive. CONTRIBUTED

The legacy of a Centerville police officer, killed in the line of duty 20 years ago, continues to serve the community. 

The 21st annual Officer John P. Kalaman Memorial Blood Drive will take place Friday, April 27 at the Centerville Police Department. 

Centerville Police Officer John Kalaman was killed while on duty Jan. 12, 1998. An annual blood drive is held in his honor each year. CONTRIBUTED

“It’s been 20 years since the accident that created the blood drive, and now it’s the 21st annual blood drive with 4,114 units donated,” said Officer Kalaman’s father, John Kalaman.

“Over the years we’ve seen a lot of the same people and every year we have new donors. Some folks have been with us almost every year.” 

In the early morning hours of Jan. 12, 1998, Centerville Police Officer John Kalaman, 29, and Washington Twp. Firefighter Robert O’Toole, 26, responded to a single-car accident on I-675 at Wilmington Pike along with firefighter Charles Arnold. 

RELATED: Twenty year later: remembering highway accident that killed two first responders

While investigating the scene on the highway, the three men were struck by a car whose driver lost control while speeding on the slick roadway. 

Officer Kalaman, a five-year police department veteran, was killed at the scene. Firefighter O’Toole, who had been with the department for four years, died at Miami Valley Hospital. Arnold, who was seriously injured, survived. 

John Kalaman and his wife Paula held the first blood drive in their son’s memory on April 27, 1998, the date of what would have been his 30th birthday. 

Each year the couple greets the donors and supporters at the blood drive and serves birthday cake in honor of their son. 

RELATED: FOP: ‘Too many people have been hurt’ by not moving over for cops

“It’s one of those things where we will reach a point when we can no longer be there,” said John Kalaman. “I hope the blood center will continue the blood drive for the community and for all the people who have donated over the years. It’s all we can hope for.” 

The blood drive will be held Friday in the Centerville Police Department training room, 155 W. Spring Valley Rd., from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

Donors are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at www.DonorTime.com or call (937) 293-3373.

Trending - Most Read Stories

3 Middletown High School students arrested after social media threat

Published: Thursday, April 26, 2018 @ 10:38 AM

There will be extra police presence today at Middletown High School after a threat was made on social media.

UPDATE, 10:30 a.m. April 26:

Three Middletown High School students were arrested and charged with inducing panic Wednesday night after they allegedly posted a video on Snapchat threatening school violence, said Maj. David Birk from the Middletown Division of Police. 

He praised students for alerting school and police officials about the video.

MORE: How local school districts scan social media for threats

The district’s “See Something, Say Something” slogan is catching on, and stopped this threat before it became “a bigger issue,” Birk said.

After investigating the video, police determined the boys— two 15-year-olds and one 16-year-old — were holding BB guns in the Snapchat video, Birk said. 

The teens were transported to Butler County Juvenile Detention Center, Birk said. 

There is a larger “police presence” at the school today, but classes are being held, according to school officials.

MORE: Warren County boy, 11, accused of threatening to shoot up school

UPDATE, 10 a.m. April 26:

There will be a larger "police presence" throughout the day, though the threat of violence is over, said Elizabeth Beadle, spokeswoman for Middletown City Schools. 

She said classes are being held and it's "business as normal" inside the school.

There were three Middletown cruisers in the high school parking lot this morning.

INITIAL REPORT, 2:07 a.m. April 26:

There will be extra police presence today at Middletown High School after a threat was made on social media.

Three middle school students have been detained for a video posted to Snapchat that threatened violence against the high school, according to a post on the Middletown City Schools Facebook page.

Any student absences will be excused, according to the post.

Details of the threatening post on social media have not been made public.

MORE: Police: Facebook post about smoking marijuana mistaken as threat to blow up school

Trending - Most Read Stories

Kettering Health Network celebrates completion of radiation therapy center

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 6:48 PM

.
.

Kettering Health Network is celebrating the completion of the new radiation therapy center at Soin Medical Center with a ribbon cutting ceremony on May 3 for members of the media.

The public is invited to a community open house for its entire comprehensive cancer services on May 9 from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. 

Kettering Cancer Care is located at the hospital's Ollie Davis Pavilion in Beavercreek. 

Attendees will be able to tour the center and meet oncology physicians. 

According to a press release, the success of the cancer center allowed for an $8 million expansion to cancer services provided at Soin. 

Phase one of the expansion doubled the infusion center in size to 13,000 square feet to accommodate more chemotherapy patients. 

Clinical exam rooms also doubled in size to support the growing on-site medical oncology team. 

The expanded infusion center opened in fall 2017. 

The radiation center was completed in phase two of the expansion.

The 8,300-square-foot radiation therapy center includes a linear accelerator for radiation therapy, as well as a CT simulator and scanner to support the addition of an on-site radiation oncology team. 

Greene Medical Foundation provided a $3 million grant to cover part of the cost. 

Kettering Health Network is a not-for-profit network of 8 hospitals, 10 emergency departments, and 120 outpatient facilities serving southwest Ohio. 

For more information, visit www.ketteringhealth.org.

Trending - Most Read Stories

Witness to near-drowning at Island MetroPark voices safety concerns

Published: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 11:11 PM

Island MetroPark
STEVE MAGUIRE / STAFF
Island MetroPark(STEVE MAGUIRE / STAFF)

Briana Greenwood, witness to the near-drowning of a 2-year-old boy at Island MetroPark on April 21, is advocating for changes because of safety concerns about access to the water at the park. 

Park employees notified Greenwood in an email that the boy is doing fine, but she is still concerned. 

Greenwood told park officials, in a letter, how the boy wandered from his parents and wound up in the river. 

RELATED: Near-drowning scare at Island MetroPark

The child's father pulled him out. He coughed up water after CPR was performed. 

Signs at the park warn that adult supervision is required, but Greenwood advised officials there is no barrier to keep children out of the water. She suggested a "strong, sensible fence" be put up. 

Mark Hess, chief of Public Safety for Five Rivers MetroParks responded to Greenwood: "We will take your ideas and others into consideration as we evaluate this incident and look for ways to prevent such incidents in the future."

Greenwood frequents the park about once a week with her son and is concerned an incident like the one on April 21 could happen again if a barrier is not put in. 

"This simple precaution could save many lives of the thousands of children and families that enjoy the MetroParks," wrote Greenwood. 

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

Trending - Most Read Stories