log in to manage your profile and account
- Create your account
- Receive up-to-date newsletters
- Set up text alerts
Published: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 10:11 AM
Updated: Wednesday, March 07, 2018 @ 12:51 PM
DAYTON — A threat by a Belmont High School student who was taken into custody by police outside of school early Wednesday spiraled into rumors of an armed student in the school later in the morning, panicking students, prompting a lockdown and worrying parents with yet another report of a firearm in an area school.
UPDATE@4:16 p.m.: The student taken into custody has been charged with making terroristic threats, and was booked into the Montgomery County Juvenile Justice Center, Dayton police said.
UPDATE @ 11:24 a.m.:
Dayton police tweeted that threats had been made between two students outside of the school. It was then circulated rumors of that a weapon had been it into the school that prompted a lockdown Wednesday, according to police.
Nothing was found in the building during a sweep.
#BelmontHS Maj. Wiesman on threat at school: There were threats between 2 students outside of school which was taken care of by DPD. Rumors of these threats regarding weapon made it into school causing lockdown. Building was checked, nothing was found.— Dayton Police Dept. (@DaytonPolice) March 7, 2018
Dayton police Major Joe Wiesman said the department was prepared to respond to a situation like this and were at the building within seconds. They met with parents and students in the school’s auditorium before sending students back to class.
Weisman said everything they planned for was well executed. He also echoed the department investigated the initial text message exchange and made an arrest in that case.
Students were unaware that the text message issue was resolved, so someone called police to report a possible person with a gun in the building.
UPDATE @ 10:45 a.m.:
Dayton police said a report of a student with a gun at Belmont High School was unfounded, according to a tweet posted around 10:40 a.m.
Police added that “everyone is safe.”
We received a report of a person with a gun at #BelmontHS. DPD personnel responded and the school was cleared. The call/information was unfounded. Everyone is safe.— Dayton Police Dept. (@DaytonPolice) March 7, 2018
“A rumor began circulating there was an active shooter at Belmont,” Dayton Public Schools spokeswoman Marsha Bonhart said in a emailed statement. “Because any threat is taken seriously, Dayton Police and (Dayton Public Schools) safety and security brought students to the exterior grounds of the building as an investigation continued. There is no indication of an active shooter.”
Bonhart said a one-call was sent to parents alerting them of the situation.
A second, separate incident happened Wednesday morning before the gun threat, where one student texted another, asking if it was true they were going to shoot-up the school, Bonhart said. The student responded “no” but the responding student was arrested for the incident.
We’ll continue to update this page as details become available.
UPDATE @ 10:20 a.m.
Dayton police are currently investigating a report of a student that might have brought a gun to Belmont High School.
The investigation and evacuation of the school are not connected to an earlier investigation of a possible threat at the school, according to a Dayton Public Schools spokeswoman.
Medics have been sent to the scene to stage in the area, but there have been no reports of injuries initially, per scanner traffic.
Some parents have arrived at the school to pick up students, according to the Dayton schools spokeswoman.
We’ll continue to update this page as details become available.
We’re working to learn more about an active investigation at Belmont High School in Dayton Wednesday morning.
Police responded to the high school at 2615 Wayne Avenue around 10 a.m. on reports of a threat at the school, according to initial reports.
Our crews on the scene report the school has been evacuated and students are outside the school.
Dispatchers said police responded to reports of someone in the school with a gun.
Earlier this morning, this newsroom received tips a threat was under investigation at Belmont High School, but a Dayton schools spokeswoman was not able to confirm threats were under investigation.
There have been no injuries reported, but multiple officers have responded to the scene.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 1:50 AM
DAYTON — The Greater Dayton RTA will provide transport to the Vectren Dayton Air Show this weekend.
Air conditioned buses will run an express shuttle service on a continuous loop from the U.S. Air Force Museum parking lot and Wright Stop Plaza directly to the air show's main gate.
The park-and-ride service will run Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Shuttles will leave from each location approximately every 10 minutes.
Cost for a round-trip ride is $3, children five and under are free. Cash is the only payment method accepted.
The regular fare structure applies from the downtown Wright Stop Plaza location.
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2018 @ 12:00 AM
LEBANON — Warren County officials are seeking options for financing a project to build an event center at the county fairgrounds, including possibly partnering with the City of Lebanon or turning to the county’s port authority.
Lebanon Mayor Amy Brewer said the city government was ready to consider collaborating with the county on redevelopment of the fairgrounds, located just north of the city’s downtown center.
“That’s something we as a city can take a look at,” Brewer said last week.
Previously, the city and county had disagreed about how to spend $3 million set aside for redevelopment of the fairgrounds and vicinity after the Lebanon Raceway’s operations moved off the fairgrounds to the Miami Valley Gaming racino.
In 2014, the disagreement prompted state officials to mediate an agreement, which said that the city and county would each get half of the money. A committee of members from the two governments, chaired by the city, would review projects submitted to spend those funds.
Last week, Warren County commissioners approved Lebanon to spend the rest of its funds from that agreement on design of a downtown entertainment district.
At the same meeting, commissioners urged staff to encourage the city to help the county make up a deficit on a $3.8 million event center project at the fairgrounds.
“We should be collaborating on the redevelopment of the fairgrounds,” Commissioner Dave Young said at last Tuesday’s commission meeting.
Young pointed out the project should bring earnings taxes, as well as visitors, to Lebanon.
Commissioner Tom Grossmann noted the city used almost $900,000 of its $1.5 million in redevelopment funds on a private project, the $9.3 million LCNB bank building south of the fairgrounds on the edge of downtown Lebanon.
None of the city money went toward projects on the fairgrounds.
“We have a need,” Grossmann said.
Commissioner Shannon Jones was a state senator involved in settling the dispute in 2014. At Tuesday’s meeting, she urged Young not to “re-litigate” the dispute and emphasized that the state left it up to Lebanon how it spent the money, provided it was for something within 1.5 miles of the fairgrounds.
She joined Young and Grossmann in pursuing a partnership with the city.
“I hope Lebanon will come to the table,” she said.
The event center project is over budget in large part because of required improvements to the water system and stormwater management at the fairgrounds.
While not willing to set aside other plans for the redevelopment funds, Deputy Administrator Martin Russell told the commission that Lebanon City Manager Scott Brunka had also indicated willingness to discuss “other opportunities.”
Gene Steiner, president of the Warren County Agricultural Society, said last week that the county and fair board were still considering options such as looking to the city for financial assistance or turning the project over to the port authority.
The agricultural society — known as the fair board — operates the fairgrounds and puts on the annual fair in July.
A port authority intervention could result in the event center being owned by the port authority and leased to the fair board, avoiding sales tax on building materials.
“From what we know, I have no reservations with that whatsoever,” Steiner said. “We’re still investigating the best opportunity for the project.”
Costs in a port authority-run project would also be decreased by avoiding prevailing wage laws required on public projects.
Steiner said a city-county collaboration on the fairgrounds would be “mutually beneficial.” They could cross-promote and share advertising on days both were staging festivities, he said.
“The more there is to do in an area, the more people we can bring in,” Steiner said.
The Lebanon mayor left open the door for discussion, perhaps involving the city providing in-kind services to help cut costs of the fairgrounds makeover.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 10:23 PM
DAYTON — The organizers of the 2018 Vectren Dayton Air Show say with all the rain this week, they do not want a repeat of the mess from years in the past.
All of the mud has caused problems in the past years, causing vehicles to get stuck and having to be pulled out of the muddy parking lot.
Roger Doctor, the air show’s public safety director, admits he has underestimated the mud before, but this year he’ll actually be sending drivers to test out the ground in the morning before the show. If it’s too muddy, they have a back-up plan where drivers will park on the other side of the airport, which has room for 6,000 vehicles all on pavement.
“I’m just sure we’re going to have a much smoother time than we did last year. We’ve got a great plan. It’s a thorough plan. And lots of buses, that’s the big thing. They have to be able to move a lot of people in a very short amount of time,” said Doctor.
Additionally, electronic signs will reflect any changes to the Dayton Air Show, but so far the lots are in good shape.
Published: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 3:34 AM
Updated: Friday, June 22, 2018 @ 11:00 PM
— QUICK-LOOK FORECAST
Tonight: While a few showers may linger overnight, for the most part the rain should taper off. More dry time is expected as temperatures drop into the middle 60s.
Saturday: Mostly cloudy, mild and still a little muggy with the chance of a few passing showers or isolated storm. A little bit of a breezy afternoon with temperatures in the upper 70s. Some breaks in the clouds Saturday night with temperatures dropping into the lower 60s.
Sunday: Partly sunny and warm with the slight chance of a passing shower. Most of the area will remain dry with highs in the lower 80s.
Monday: Mostly sunny and comfortable. Temperatures rise into the lower 80s.
Tuesday: Partly cloudy and warmer. Highs in the middle 80s.